Can anyone give a report on using the EF-S 17-55 with the C300? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
For all Canon Cinema EOS models: C700 / C300 Mk. II / C200 / C100 Mk II and EF / PL lenses.

Old April 29th, 2012, 04:14 AM   #31
Major Player

Re: Can anyone give a report on using the EF-S 17-55 with the C300?

That's interesting Graham, maybe the extra sensor width is just revealing build tolerances in the production of these lenses that wouldn't normally appear on a 1.6 crop. I can only imagine mine goes a little bit wider if it reveals the edges of the sun hood and yours doesn't.

I'll pop into warehouse express in the week and see if I can try another one.

Paul
Old April 29th, 2012, 08:07 AM   #32
Inner Circle

This makes me feel even better that I bought a cheap Chinese knock-off lens hood for my Canon 17-55mm! It's a Marumi EW-83J that has a printed code implying it's specifically made for that lens. [It may or may not be exactly the same shape as a Canon one, I don't know].

If I ever save enough to get a C300 (and it also gives me any issues on vignetting with my 17-55mm) I'll think nothing of carefully "easing it out" with half-round and rats-tail files at the critical points. File work will be done off-camera of course ;-)

Incidentally, the (genuine) Canon EW-83E hood I have for my Canon 10-22mm has (of course) a much wider spread so that would work just fine - but at the risk of letting a little too much stray light near the front lens element. It's got that lovely light absorbing felt on the inside face which the cheaper Marumi types lack - as indeed do all the other genuine Canon hoods for my longer Canon glass.

I bet Canon make a hood that's somewhere between the two (in shading area and shape) that might work just fine - if some copies of the 17-55mm take it a little too close to the limit like Paul's seems to.
Old April 29th, 2012, 08:18 PM   #33
Major Player

I own the 17-55 and also several L lenses. I agree with the praise for its optical quality but it needs to be said that mechanically it is not L quality build. Depending on the shooting conditions, this could be a factor.
Richard D. George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2012, 03:05 PM   #34
Major Player

I should clarify that it is the sealing that is my issue with the 17-55, rather than "metal versus plastic" issues. I love my 17-55 from an optical point of view, but I have had to send it to Canon twice for problems with dust getting into the interior of the lens.
Richard D. George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2012, 01:48 AM   #35
Inner Circle

My C300 arrived yesterday so I can confirm that with my EF-S 17-55 there is no vignetting with or without the lens hood. It is the proper Canon model for this lens which as it is currently the one & only EF-S lens I own I was surprised at the time of purchase to discover that I had to pay nearly another £30 for a cheap plastic moulding that must cost all of 10p to manufacture especially as the 17-55mm at around £800 costs as much as some 'L' lenses
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2012, 02:51 AM   #36
Major Player

That's good to know Nigel, I'm going to nip up to wex this afternoon and see if I can get mine replaced.

Regards

Paul.
Old May 2nd, 2012, 07:11 AM   #37
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Joy View Post
That's good to know Nigel, I'm going to nip up to wex this afternoon and see if I can get mine replaced.

Regards

Paul.
I'll probably be popping there this afternoon too as I need to pick up a couple of things before the weekend. I have only just realised that you are based not to far away from me (I actually live in Belaugh which is a little village the Norwich side of Wroxham). We should meet up & form a Norfolk C300 owners club:-) I'll mail you my contact details.
Old May 2nd, 2012, 01:31 PM   #38
New Boot

The vignetting seems to only be an issue when using the lens hood. I've seen some amazing screen grabs. the 17-55 is great and I to wish they would build an L-version, something like 16-60, one with the weather-proofing and such to the standards of the C300.
Jen Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2012, 03:15 PM   #39
Major Player

I went in to wex and tried another 17-55 today, it was exactly the same, slight vignetting in the corners even without the lens hood. I also tried the two main L series wide zooms and while they had nice images and didn't vignette I missed the IS a lot, enough to make me stick with the 17-55.

There's more info on my blog Canon EFS 17-55 causing vignetting on the C300 | Paul Joy – Freelance Filmmaker

Here's a quick video showing results from the three lenses, in the 17-55 part you can see the vignette moving in the top right corner of the shot.

Old May 3rd, 2012, 12:41 PM   #40
Major Player

Just wanted to join in the thread and report that I've not experienced any vignetting with the 17-55F 2.8 myself.

This is regardless of Peripheral Illumination Correction being turned on or off.

And no vignetting with a wider lens, the Sigma 10-20mm. Incidentially is Peripheral Illumination not available for 3rd party lenses?.
Mark Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2012, 11:43 PM   #41
Inner Circle

I wondered if Paul was a bit more critical & that I hadn't examined my clips so thoroughly but I just quickly shot a white wall at 17mm & examined the image really carefully & cannot see any evidence of vignetting.

I have to wonder if it might be a problem with Paul's camera. This must be a common lens to use on the C300 & I have seen no other reports.
Old May 4th, 2012, 11:51 AM   #42
Inner Circle

An unlikely (but possible?) cause could be if the hood is installed with a 90 degree twist. I haven't done that, but I've made other boneheaded moves with video at times. :)
Old May 5th, 2012, 01:54 AM   #43
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Barker View Post
I wondered if Paul was a bit more critical & that I hadn't examined my clips so thoroughly but I just quickly shot a white wall at 17mm & examined the image really carefully & cannot see any evidence of vignetting.

I have to wonder if it might be a problem with Paul's camera. This must be a common lens to use on the C300 & I have seen no other reports.
Could well be the camera, although I've heard from two other C300 owners that see the same results so it's not just mine.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems