C300 Possible bug? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
For all Canon Cinema EOS models: C700 / C300 Mk. II / C200 / C100 Mk II and EF / PL lenses.

Old March 28th, 2012, 09:46 PM   #1
Tourist

C300 Possible bug?

Hi all..
I recently shot part of a low budget movie using the canon C300.. I really liked the camera and of course the pictures are unbelievable.. But I believe I may have uncovered a small bug..
I was recording to 2 CF cards at once ( dual record mode ) This all work well except for when I changed the frame rate to 3 frame per second.. Any clip shoot at 3 frames was only recorded to one CF card.. Over 8 days I shot at 3 frames on 3 separate occasions.. the first time the speed up clips were only recorded on the first card.. the second time they appeared on both cards.. and the last time the 3 frame clips were only recorded to the second CF card.. All very confusing.. I admit I have not read the manual from cover to cover so perhaps I have missed something..
Can anyone shed any light on this..?
Mike Kliem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2012, 01:31 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: C300 Possible bug?

Whenever I switch to Slow & Fast, dual recording is disabled. I figured this was normal operation.
Graham King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2012, 01:51 AM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

See page 44 of the manual, Selecting the CF Card Recording Method:

"Double slot recording cannot be used... with slow & fast motion recording."

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2012, 05:27 AM   #4
Tourist

OK.. AS I said I have not read the manual from cover to cover.. so thanks.. However ..this still does not explain why my slow and fast footage was not recorded consistently on just one card.. Sometimes slot one and another time slot 2..
Mike Kliem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2012, 07:37 AM   #5
Obstreperous Rex

A couple of possibilities:

If a card slot door is opened during recording, then the recording automatically jumps to the other card slot.

If you tried to record fast motion video (3fps, like you said) to both cards, instead of returning an illegal operation error, the recording system simply "picked the best slot to go to at the time," in one case it was CF #1 and another case it was CF #2, but this is just my own theory.

Also, at such a slow frame rate, the recording system may have decided that "just this once" it could lay down 3fps to both cards simultaneously, but its inability to do that consistently is the reason why the manual states that it's not possible. Again, just my theory.

Long story short: it's not a bug... it's a feature: dual recording is disabled during slow & fast motion video.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems