DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-cinema-eos-camera-systems/)
-   -   Quite a nice C300 endorsement (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-cinema-eos-camera-systems/506917-quite-nice-c300-endorsement.html)

Josh Dahlberg April 14th, 2012 01:50 AM

Quite a nice C300 endorsement

Phil Bloom's full write up for the accompanying video can be found here.
The Diamond Magic: Mini doc shot on C300 “bare bones” style | Philip Bloom

I always appreciate Phil's camera analyses - he writes from an operator/film maker's perspective, and I find him even handed. What's more, he's produced beautiful material on everything from the Gh2 to the Alexa. I've never seen him write such a glowing report on a camera. This says it all:
"The C300 is a wonderful camera.... Best camera I have ever owned, and I have owned most of them!"

This write-up comes post C500 and 4K DSLR announcements, which leave him unfazed: "For me it is still the best camera." Worth reading his full write up to find out why.

And from a separate article on the new cameras he writes:
"I initially poo-pood the C300, then I held it and shot with it and fell in love with it from then on. So never trust specs!" NAB 1: The 4k exposition continues…4k Canon DSLR and the C500 | Philip Bloom

Douglas Call April 14th, 2012 06:16 AM

Re: Quite a nice C300 endorsement

The movie and kids were adorable.

Oleg Kalyan April 14th, 2012 06:33 AM

it looks a bit soft, IMHO, on vimeo page at least.. smudgy colors.. sorry..

Bill Koehler April 15th, 2012 02:25 PM

I have liked the fact Mr. Bloom almost always allows downloading the original file and playing it locally.

I thought the piece was very cute of the kids.

The people were interesting too.
I really wanted to know who Mr. Apache Warriors at 4:48 was and what Zombie movie did he escape from.

Josh Dahlberg April 16th, 2012 01:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Koehler (Post 1727284)
I really wanted to know who Mr. Apache Warriors at 4:48 was and what Zombie movie did he escape from.

Mr Bloom has given this gentleman his 15 minutes of fame... he's been appraised in all parts of the cyber world.

Oleg the image quality in this clip is neither here nor there - Philip shot it impromptu with no rig and did a quick and dirty grade, so I don't think it's a telling indicator of C300 image potential.

The interesting point to me is that - as someone who's shot practically everywhere with everything - Philip has fallen in love with the camera. For him it's an operator's dream. It's interesting to hear very divergent viewpoints on this camera - the C300 has been quite polarising.

Nigel Barker April 16th, 2012 05:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh Dahlberg (Post 1727378)
The interesting point to me is that - as someone who's shot practically everywhere with everything - Philip has fallen in love with the camera. For him it's an operator's dream. It's interesting to hear very divergent viewpoints on this camera - the C300 has been quite polarising.

Another celebrity camera blogger Alister Chapman has just sold his C300 because "it’s just too much like a DSLR for me, so it had to go". Which is probably just the same reason that Philip Bloom loves it so much.

HD Video capable DSLRs were the forerunner of this new generation of lightweight, compact, self-contained cameras that you can use hand-held. Some operators think that only real cameras are those that are shoulder mount, absolutely hate DSLRs & regard even the likes of the EX1 or XF305 as toys so I can imagine their reaction to the C300.

Oleg Kalyan April 16th, 2012 04:27 PM

I totally appreciate the endorsement, still have to see a filmic result from this camera that looks like film for that matter :)

Josh Dahlberg April 16th, 2012 08:12 PM

I'm not sure what the rules are here in terms of linking to other forums, suffice to say if you google "c300 Afganistan" you will see some gorgeous shots from this camera... It's early days yet