DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-cinema-eos-camera-systems/)
-   -   Tokina 11-16mm or Canon 10-22mm? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-cinema-eos-camera-systems/507404-tokina-11-16mm-canon-10-22mm.html)

Nigel Barker April 30th, 2012 08:28 AM

Tokina 11-16mm or Canon 10-22mm?

I just heard that my C300 that's been on order for nearly two months will be delivered tomorrow. I already have the Canon EF-S 17-55mm F/2.8 IS lens that I bought for use on my Canon 600D (T3i) & have been very happy with it so it should be a good match for the C300. I initially bought the vastly inferior Tamron 17-50mm but returned it the next day & exchanged it for the Canon 17-55mm even though it was over double the price. I would like to get a good wide-angle lens for the C300 but after that bad experience with a 3rd-party lens I am bit hesitant about buying the Tokina 11-16mm F/2.8 that seems so popular rather than the Canon EF-S 10-22mm F/3.5-4.5. I know that the Canon is a bit more expensive & that it has a narrower & variable aperture but on the plus side it is a little wider & has a little extra reach on the other end so I would welcome any comments pro or con.

Andy Wilkinson April 30th, 2012 08:38 AM

Re: Tokina 11-16mm or Canon 10-22mm?

I debated these two lenses a while ago (for my 7D). For MY needs, the Canon was the better lens - of both these excellent choices. Below is a link to a summary of what I thought were the pros and cons of each. This might help you narrow down on what's important to you.

CanonWideAngle

P.S. Looking forward to reading how you get on with the C300!

Derek Reich April 30th, 2012 09:05 AM

It's a lot more money, but the Canon 8-15 L is stellar. Very wide (it will completely porthole at the widest) but a truly incredible lens, and more versatile than the S with the option of using on full frame sensor cameras.

Nigel Barker April 30th, 2012 10:09 AM

Andy, thanks for the very detailed write up & links to discussion. I am now more inclined towards the Canon. I dislike the variable aperture but given the low light capabilities of the C300 even F/4.5 shouldn't be too much of a hindrance. Having to switch from AF to MF in order to manually adjust the lens was one of things that bugged me about the Tamron. One plus point for the Canon is that there are quite a few used examples for sale on eBay so I could pick one up for less than the price of a new Tokina as there are no used ones.

I'll be sure to report on my new toy. I could even pop down to Cambridge & try out your Canon lens:-) Even though I ordered it nearly two months ago until today I had only paid a refundable deposit so have kept my options open with regards to new announcements at NAB & elsewhere. The 5D3 is a lovely camera but still a hell of a compromise for shooting video. None of the other new models attracted me as much as the C300 as I have really fallen in love with the DSLR form factor & ergonomics plus I have a load of lovely 'L' lenses so even though the FS700 is much cheaper it's still just as ugly & awkward as the FS100 even if improved in many ways & also not shipping yet.

Derek, I hadn't even considered the Canon fisheye zoom but it is an intriguing thought if I wanted to spend that much money however isn't it still going to be a fisheye even on the crop sensor?

Andy Wilkinson April 30th, 2012 10:15 AM

Hi Nigel,

Sure! If you want to meet up and see what the Canon 10-22 is like on the C300 sometime soon just e-mail me...that way I get to drool over your new C300 too!

Richard D. George April 30th, 2012 01:26 PM

My son and I have both. I have concluded that the Canon 10-22 is better for stills (with USM AF) , but that the constant-aperature Tokina is better for video. Several "heavy hitter" video pros seem to like the Tokina, and there is a special video version available from Duclos (which is a cool $3,500) and also Tokina has announced a new version (II).

Derek Reich April 30th, 2012 05:58 PM

Hi, Nigel
Yes, is a fisheye, but at the long end of the zoom it's not so much. On the wide end, it actually portholes (all the way wide) and is wide enough to see any shotgun mic you have mounted in the holder. On a FF sensor, this lens has 180 degree angle of view! I usually zoom in until the image fills the frame for my widest shot, and then go from there. It's just a beautiful lens, and the constant aperture of f4 is a plus. I also use the 16-35 f2.8L II, so this lens really augments when I just need 'really wide'. (wider than the 16-35). Because of the annoying 'stepped' aperture of this camera, I am avoiding any variable aperture zoom lenses. It's bad enough to have to change aperture due to a lighting change during a shot, I don't want to deal with that just because I changed my focal length.

Robert Sanders April 30th, 2012 07:25 PM

I very much like my Canon 10-22mm. I use it a lot more than I thought I would.

Paul Joy May 1st, 2012 10:17 AM

Hi Nigel, you probably already know this but having wex in Norwich is great for trying out lenses. I popped in there with my C300 recently and they were more than happy to let me try a few options, I ended up going for the 17-55. I do have the tokina 11-16 and it's a great lens but being that wide is more of a speciality thing for me so not worth spending more on the Canon glass. I would like that 8-15L though regardless!

Paul