DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-cinema-eos-camera-systems/)
-   -   Taking Pictures (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-cinema-eos-camera-systems/507781-taking-pictures.html)

Brett Sherman May 14th, 2012 12:26 PM

Taking Pictures

Can the C300 take pictures while recording without interrupting the video recording? It looks like in the manual that it can. It's strange that this may be a factor in my purchasing decision. But it's the day of Facebook and Twitter.

Eric Emerick May 14th, 2012 04:36 PM

Re: Taking Pictures

Yes you can. And, you can "take" a photo from a clip previously recorded as well. Pretty cool.

Nigel Barker May 15th, 2012 12:36 AM

Other than being able to quickly pull the still photo off the SD card to upload to Facebook and Twitter I am not sure what advantage this has over opening a clip in your NLE of choice & taking a still off the timeline where you have a choice of 24/25/30 different images each second.

Incidentally because of the amazing resolution of this camera the quality of stills taken from the timeline can be fantastic (for a 1920x1080 image) & should produce acceptable prints up to about 10x8. This looks like it could be a viable option when shooting events with the C300 to offer stills in the package too.

Brett Sherman May 15th, 2012 07:33 AM

I'm considering using an Eye-Fi SDHC card to pass photos to my iphone in realtime and then immediately upload. I don't know for sure if it will work, but it seems like it should. Personally, I think all this updating in realtime is ridiculous, but that's not my decision.

It also gives me a way to justify spending the extra for a C300. And also get photographers out of the way for when I'm on shoots. The biggest barrier to me getting a C300 is no 1080 60P. For a camera that I plan to keep for 4 years, that's a pretty big detriment. My guess is that it will become the standard for acquisition within a year or two. Big, big oversight by Canon. Even many Hollywood productions are going to move to higher frame rates as evidenced by "The Hobbit".

Nigel Barker May 15th, 2012 09:02 AM

Using an Eye-Fi SDHC card really would give instant gratification for the Facebook generation.

Hollywood may be moving to higher frame rates but broadcast TV isn't going to change from 50i/60i for the foreseeable future.

Barry Goyette May 18th, 2012 10:19 AM

We just had an interview job, and the client wanted still's (portraits) shot as well, but couldn't really give us more time due to logistics (7 interviews and 7 portraits in 2.5 hours). We ended up just pulling still frames from the interview footage which are really quite nice, certainly adequate for large web work or even small print uses.

Barry

Mark Moreve May 19th, 2012 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brett Sherman (Post 1733394)
I'm considering using an Eye-Fi SDHC card to pass photos to my iphone in realtime and then immediately upload. I don't know for sure if it will work, but it seems like it should. Personally, I think all this updating in realtime is ridiculous, but that's not my decision.

It also gives me a way to justify spending the extra for a C300. And also get photographers out of the way for when I'm on shoots. The biggest barrier to me getting a C300 is no 1080 60P. For a camera that I plan to keep for 4 years, that's a pretty big detriment. My guess is that it will become the standard for acquisition within a year or two. Big, big oversight by Canon. Even many Hollywood productions are going to move to higher frame rates as evidenced by "The Hobbit".

That is a great idea. I do loads of events my clients will love it! Good call :-)

Lee Mullen November 25th, 2012 11:31 PM

What is the largest size 'still' image the camera can shoot?

Barry Goyette November 25th, 2012 11:34 PM

1920 x 1080 the same size as an HD video frame.

Lee Mullen November 26th, 2012 08:16 PM

Thats a pity. Was hoping the full use of the sensor might have allowed hi res stills.