DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-cinema-eos-camera-systems/)
-   -   Canon Europe announces new C300 Firmware (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-cinema-eos-camera-systems/507879-canon-europe-announces-new-c300-firmware.html)

Terry Nixon May 18th, 2012 08:37 AM

Canon Europe announces new C300 Firmware

Looks like Canon has a firmware update for the C300 coming out later this month:
Canon Europe - Canon adds new functionality to the EOS C300 and EOS C300 PL

London, UK, 18 May 2012 – Canon today announces the availability of a new firmware update for the ground-breaking EOS C300 and the EOS C300 PL. The update, version 1.0.5.1.00, will add Genlock synchronisation for 24.00P, 24.00PsF, 23.98P and 23.98PsF signal inputs. In addition, the new firmware will add support for Korean language to the menus.

Andy Wilkinson May 18th, 2012 08:37 AM

Canon Announces New Firmware for C300

Looks like it will be available at the end of this month (if you need the features listed). New version will be 1.0.5.1.00

Canon Europe - Canon adds new functionality to the EOS C300 and EOS C300 PL

Nigel Barker May 19th, 2012 02:24 AM

Re: Canon Announces New Firmware for C300

The features listed are non too exciting unfortunately

Quote:

The update, version 1.0.5.1.00, will add Genlock synchronisation for 24.00P, 24.00PsF, 23.98P and 23.98PsF signal inputs. In addition, the new firmware will add support for Korean language to the menus.
Nothing useful like being able to assign aperture to one thumbwheel & ISO to another.

Paul Joy May 19th, 2012 03:54 AM

Makes you wonder who Canon are listening too, of all the threads here and on other forums with firmware wish lists I don't recall more genlock options or Korean language support being requested on any of them.

Barry Goyette May 19th, 2012 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Joy (Post 1734078)
I don't recall .......... Korean language support being requested on any of them.

Maybe that's because you don't live in Korea.....or East Hollywood? ;-)

Agreed, this is hardly a newsworthy update. Let's hope there is something a bit more substantial in the near future.

Guest May 22nd, 2012 10:33 AM

Re: Canon Europe announces new C300 Firmware

It had "full Russian" from the get go. ;)

Mark Dobson May 22nd, 2012 12:14 PM

Ah - for the moment between seeing the post header and reading the detail I got all excited!

Paul Joy is right to wonder who Canon listens to. I might be cynical but I think that what we have got is what we will have for the future.

Not to say I'm not happy with the camera as it is although some of the shortfalls in functionality are quite surprising for a camera that is over 3 times the price of the new 5D Mk111 but I guess someone has to pay for the Hollywood launch.

Robert Sanders May 22nd, 2012 03:56 PM

Give Canon's engineers a break. My god, they only just got back from NAB. They have a huge list of requests. And it is possible that we'll get multiple firmware updates over time. Anyone who thought they were going get one massive firmware update weeks after NAB is dreaming.

Patience people.

Jim Martin May 24th, 2012 11:58 AM

10-4!.......they are working on everyone's requests and will do what they can.....

Jim Martin
Filmtools.com

Mark Dobson May 25th, 2012 04:17 AM

Jim,

I can't but wonder what is meant by your statement that they ( canon engineers ) are working on everyone's requests and will do what they can.

So are they planning a substantial firmware update? Or planning to respond with an official statement about their plans to redress firmware shortfalls for this product? Or what?

Surely the point of forums such as this is for professionals to candidly discuss both positive and negative aspects of cameras such as the C300 so that we can all learn and share experiences.

And Robert Sanders request to 'give Canon engineers a break' sounds a bit like we are dealing with a charitable foundation rather than a huge multinational corporation.

The trend these days seems to be for companies to respond more transparently to the requests do their customer base. This is demonstrated by the consumer input into Adobe CS6 and, despite the bungled launch, Apples response of 4 FCPX updates within 9 months. Apple have also published a roadmap of future software developments within FCPX.

So I really don't think it would be too much effort for Canon to break the mold and respond directly to what is a large list of firmware improvements in what must be a premium product for them.

Overall the the C300 is a great camera. Time will tell as to whether it will become an iconic broadcast industry tool or rapidly superseded by alternative cameras being produced by companies such as Sony and Blackmagic which either have many of the features missing from the C300 or are sold for a quarter of the price.

Robert Sanders May 26th, 2012 11:25 AM

It's all about being reasonable. And realistic.

Jim Martin May 28th, 2012 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Dobson (Post 1734956)
Jim,

I can't but wonder what is meant by your statement that they ( canon engineers ) are working on everyone's requests and will do what they can.

So are they planning a substantial firmware update? Or planning to respond with an official statement about their plans to redress firmware shortfalls for this product? Or what?

Surely the point of forums such as this is for professionals to candidly discuss both positive and negative aspects of cameras such as the C300 so that we can all learn and share experiences.

And Robert Sanders request to 'give Canon engineers a break' sounds a bit like we are dealing with a charitable foundation rather than a huge multinational corporation.

The trend these days seems to be for companies to respond more transparently to the requests do their customer base. This is demonstrated by the consumer input into Adobe CS6 and, despite the bungled launch, Apples response of 4 FCPX updates within 9 months. Apple have also published a roadmap of future software developments within FCPX.

So I really don't think it would be too much effort for Canon to break the mold and respond directly to what is a large list of firmware improvements in what must be a premium product for them.

Overall the the C300 is a great camera. Time will tell as to whether it will become an iconic broadcast industry tool or rapidly superseded by alternative cameras being produced by companies such as Sony and Blackmagic which either have many of the features missing from the C300 or are sold for a quarter of the price.

Obviously, there are some things that can be done by firmware updates and some that can't. Also, on the service side, I'm sure the service dept. has a list of things that people are breaking on a regular basis. The cameras, in limited numbers, has been out since the start of February (about 3 months) so I'd suggest you give them a break....and a bit of patience.

Jim Martin
Filmtools.com

Robert Sanders May 29th, 2012 12:55 AM

I'll gladly take a camera off the hands of any disgruntled owner who are feeling unlistened to.

Mark Dobson May 29th, 2012 02:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Martin (Post 1735465)
Obviously, there are some things that can be done by firmware updates and some that can't. Also, on the service side, I'm sure the service dept. has a list of things that people are breaking on a regular basis. The cameras, in limited numbers, has been out since the start of February (about 3 months) so I'd suggest you give them a break....and a bit of patience.

Jim Martin
Filmtools.com

You are right Jim. Maybe I've been a bit hasty in criticising the lack of response from Canon.

But as to the comment that you would suggest that I'd give them a break and have a bit of patience - well I'm doing neither - I'm simply posting comments onto a thread within an independent peer to peer forum.

You obviously have a professional relationship with Canon through your company and might choose to be circumspect in any comments about the C300 but I'm simply a consumer who has bought a relatively expensive camcorder (however it's been marketed) and have been surprised by the lack of attention to detail in a number of areas.

The negative comments in this thread were ones of disappointment at the minor nature of the firmware update.

In previous posts you have mentioned that Canon regularly reads comments on both this and other dedicated C300 forums, well I'm sure they would like to hear what people are really saying both positive and negative, not to receive anodyne, polite feedback which won't help anybody.

Maybe with your technical experience you could educate this forum as to to what might or might not be possible through firmware updates.

We all know what was achieved by Magic Lantern for the Canon 5Dmk11. Canon's belated firmware update response to that was fantastic and many owners of the C300 will have graduated from that camera.

And as I said in my previous post the C300 is an amazing camera and I’m sure I’m not alone in hoping that basic functionality can be improved through future firmware updates.

As Ringo says ‘ Peace and Love’

David A. Fisher May 29th, 2012 09:33 AM

Well Mark, since you discount the opinions of vendors, let me speak as a peer-to-peer owner/operator then.

My experiences with Canon over the past few months, from the customer service, technical service, and just down right great accessibility has been outstanding. I had issues with my c300 and not only did they resolve the issue, but they (USA & Japan) did everything in their power to find the exact cause of my problem and FIX IT on mine and all future c300's.

When I first encounter my problem I didn't immediately hop on a message board and complain about what's wrong with this camera and bitch about the company I bought it from. I did what any experienced professional did, I picked up a phone and contacted Canon immediately - speaking with the correct people. Not only were they more than eager to help me, but went above and beyond any expectations of service.

Have you talked with your sales rep about your issues with the camera? Has he put you in contact with his regional Canon sales rep? How high up the chain have you gone with your list of complaints? Or have you merely resorted to cynical retorts on a message board complaining that they are "listening?"

And if you're thinking that I'm just pandering, think again; they have a full list from me of things that they need to improve upon with the camera. In fact, they asked for it.

-df