Canon Europe announces new C300 Firmware at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems

Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
For all Canon Cinema EOS models: C700 / C300 Mk. II / C200 / C100 Mk II and EF / PL lenses.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old May 18th, 2012, 09:37 AM   #1
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 244
Canon Europe announces new C300 Firmware

Looks like Canon has a firmware update for the C300 coming out later this month:
Canon Europe - Canon adds new functionality to the EOS C300 and EOS C300 PL


London, UK, 18 May 2012 Canon today announces the availability of a new firmware update for the ground-breaking EOS C300 and the EOS C300 PL. The update, version 1.0.5.1.00, will add Genlock synchronisation for 24.00P, 24.00PsF, 23.98P and 23.98PsF signal inputs. In addition, the new firmware will add support for Korean language to the menus.
Terry Nixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2012, 09:37 AM   #2
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Cambridge UK
Posts: 2,835
Canon Announces New Firmware for C300

Looks like it will be available at the end of this month (if you need the features listed). New version will be 1.0.5.1.00

Canon Europe - Canon adds new functionality to the EOS C300 and EOS C300 PL
__________________
Andy K Wilkinson - http://www.shootingimage.co.uk
Cambridge (UK) Corporate Video Production
Andy Wilkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2012, 03:24 AM   #3
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Norwich, Norfolk, UK
Posts: 3,445
Re: Canon Announces New Firmware for C300

The features listed are non too exciting unfortunately

Quote:
The update, version 1.0.5.1.00, will add Genlock synchronisation for 24.00P, 24.00PsF, 23.98P and 23.98PsF signal inputs. In addition, the new firmware will add support for Korean language to the menus.
Nothing useful like being able to assign aperture to one thumbwheel & ISO to another.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2012, 04:54 AM   #4
Major Player
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Norfolk, UK
Posts: 627
Re: Canon Announces New Firmware for C300

Makes you wonder who Canon are listening too, of all the threads here and on other forums with firmware wish lists I don't recall more genlock options or Korean language support being requested on any of them.
__________________
Blog: www.pauljoy.com
Company: www.videotrader.co.uk

Last edited by Paul Joy; May 19th, 2012 at 01:31 PM.
Paul Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2012, 11:42 AM   #5
Trustee
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: San Luis Obispo CA
Posts: 1,189
Re: Canon Announces New Firmware for C300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Joy View Post
I don't recall .......... Korean language support being requested on any of them.
Maybe that's because you don't live in Korea.....or East Hollywood? ;-)

Agreed, this is hardly a newsworthy update. Let's hope there is something a bit more substantial in the near future.
Barry Goyette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2012, 11:33 AM   #6
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Canon Europe announces new C300 Firmware

It had "full Russian" from the get go. ;)
  Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2012, 01:14 PM   #7
Major Player
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Horsham / United Kingdom
Posts: 324
Re: Canon Europe announces new C300 Firmware

Ah - for the moment between seeing the post header and reading the detail I got all excited!

Paul Joy is right to wonder who Canon listens to. I might be cynical but I think that what we have got is what we will have for the future.

Not to say I'm not happy with the camera as it is although some of the shortfalls in functionality are quite surprising for a camera that is over 3 times the price of the new 5D Mk111 but I guess someone has to pay for the Hollywood launch.
Mark Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2012, 04:56 PM   #8
Starway Pictures
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Studio City
Posts: 581
Re: Canon Europe announces new C300 Firmware

Give Canon's engineers a break. My god, they only just got back from NAB. They have a huge list of requests. And it is possible that we'll get multiple firmware updates over time. Anyone who thought they were going get one massive firmware update weeks after NAB is dreaming.

Patience people.
Robert Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2012, 12:58 PM   #9
Major Player
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Burbank, CA 91502
Posts: 946
Re: Canon Europe announces new C300 Firmware

10-4!.......they are working on everyone's requests and will do what they can.....

Jim Martin
Filmtools.com
Jim Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2012, 05:17 AM   #10
Major Player
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Horsham / United Kingdom
Posts: 324
Re: Canon Europe announces new C300 Firmware

Jim,

I can't but wonder what is meant by your statement that they ( canon engineers ) are working on everyone's requests and will do what they can.

So are they planning a substantial firmware update? Or planning to respond with an official statement about their plans to redress firmware shortfalls for this product? Or what?

Surely the point of forums such as this is for professionals to candidly discuss both positive and negative aspects of cameras such as the C300 so that we can all learn and share experiences.

And Robert Sanders request to 'give Canon engineers a break' sounds a bit like we are dealing with a charitable foundation rather than a huge multinational corporation.

The trend these days seems to be for companies to respond more transparently to the requests do their customer base. This is demonstrated by the consumer input into Adobe CS6 and, despite the bungled launch, Apples response of 4 FCPX updates within 9 months. Apple have also published a roadmap of future software developments within FCPX.

So I really don't think it would be too much effort for Canon to break the mold and respond directly to what is a large list of firmware improvements in what must be a premium product for them.

Overall the the C300 is a great camera. Time will tell as to whether it will become an iconic broadcast industry tool or rapidly superseded by alternative cameras being produced by companies such as Sony and Blackmagic which either have many of the features missing from the C300 or are sold for a quarter of the price.
Mark Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2012, 12:25 PM   #11
Starway Pictures
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Studio City
Posts: 581
Re: Canon Europe announces new C300 Firmware

It's all about being reasonable. And realistic.
Robert Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2012, 07:43 PM   #12
Major Player
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Burbank, CA 91502
Posts: 946
Re: Canon Europe announces new C300 Firmware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Dobson View Post
Jim,

I can't but wonder what is meant by your statement that they ( canon engineers ) are working on everyone's requests and will do what they can.

So are they planning a substantial firmware update? Or planning to respond with an official statement about their plans to redress firmware shortfalls for this product? Or what?

Surely the point of forums such as this is for professionals to candidly discuss both positive and negative aspects of cameras such as the C300 so that we can all learn and share experiences.

And Robert Sanders request to 'give Canon engineers a break' sounds a bit like we are dealing with a charitable foundation rather than a huge multinational corporation.

The trend these days seems to be for companies to respond more transparently to the requests do their customer base. This is demonstrated by the consumer input into Adobe CS6 and, despite the bungled launch, Apples response of 4 FCPX updates within 9 months. Apple have also published a roadmap of future software developments within FCPX.

So I really don't think it would be too much effort for Canon to break the mold and respond directly to what is a large list of firmware improvements in what must be a premium product for them.

Overall the the C300 is a great camera. Time will tell as to whether it will become an iconic broadcast industry tool or rapidly superseded by alternative cameras being produced by companies such as Sony and Blackmagic which either have many of the features missing from the C300 or are sold for a quarter of the price.
Obviously, there are some things that can be done by firmware updates and some that can't. Also, on the service side, I'm sure the service dept. has a list of things that people are breaking on a regular basis. The cameras, in limited numbers, has been out since the start of February (about 3 months) so I'd suggest you give them a break....and a bit of patience.

Jim Martin
Filmtools.com
Jim Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2012, 01:55 AM   #13
Starway Pictures
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Studio City
Posts: 581
Re: Canon Europe announces new C300 Firmware

I'll gladly take a camera off the hands of any disgruntled owner who are feeling unlistened to.
Robert Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2012, 03:35 AM   #14
Major Player
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Horsham / United Kingdom
Posts: 324
Re: Canon Europe announces new C300 Firmware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Martin View Post
Obviously, there are some things that can be done by firmware updates and some that can't. Also, on the service side, I'm sure the service dept. has a list of things that people are breaking on a regular basis. The cameras, in limited numbers, has been out since the start of February (about 3 months) so I'd suggest you give them a break....and a bit of patience.

Jim Martin
Filmtools.com

You are right Jim. Maybe I've been a bit hasty in criticising the lack of response from Canon.

But as to the comment that you would suggest that I'd give them a break and have a bit of patience - well I'm doing neither - I'm simply posting comments onto a thread within an independent peer to peer forum.

You obviously have a professional relationship with Canon through your company and might choose to be circumspect in any comments about the C300 but I'm simply a consumer who has bought a relatively expensive camcorder (however it's been marketed) and have been surprised by the lack of attention to detail in a number of areas.

The negative comments in this thread were ones of disappointment at the minor nature of the firmware update.

In previous posts you have mentioned that Canon regularly reads comments on both this and other dedicated C300 forums, well I'm sure they would like to hear what people are really saying both positive and negative, not to receive anodyne, polite feedback which won't help anybody.

Maybe with your technical experience you could educate this forum as to to what might or might not be possible through firmware updates.

We all know what was achieved by Magic Lantern for the Canon 5Dmk11. Canon's belated firmware update response to that was fantastic and many owners of the C300 will have graduated from that camera.

And as I said in my previous post the C300 is an amazing camera and Im sure Im not alone in hoping that basic functionality can be improved through future firmware updates.

As Ringo says Peace and Love
Mark Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2012, 10:33 AM   #15
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 57
Re: Canon Europe announces new C300 Firmware

Well Mark, since you discount the opinions of vendors, let me speak as a peer-to-peer owner/operator then.

My experiences with Canon over the past few months, from the customer service, technical service, and just down right great accessibility has been outstanding. I had issues with my c300 and not only did they resolve the issue, but they (USA & Japan) did everything in their power to find the exact cause of my problem and FIX IT on mine and all future c300's.

When I first encounter my problem I didn't immediately hop on a message board and complain about what's wrong with this camera and bitch about the company I bought it from. I did what any experienced professional did, I picked up a phone and contacted Canon immediately - speaking with the correct people. Not only were they more than eager to help me, but went above and beyond any expectations of service.

Have you talked with your sales rep about your issues with the camera? Has he put you in contact with his regional Canon sales rep? How high up the chain have you gone with your list of complaints? Or have you merely resorted to cynical retorts on a message board complaining that they are "listening?"

And if you're thinking that I'm just pandering, think again; they have a full list from me of things that they need to improve upon with the camera. In fact, they asked for it.

-df
David A. Fisher is offline   Reply
Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 



Google
 

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:21 PM.


DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2017 The Digital Video Information Network