DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-cinema-eos-camera-systems/)
-   -   17-55mm Canon lens + Formatt Filters = avoid (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-cinema-eos-camera-systems/508155-17-55mm-canon-lens-formatt-filters-avoid.html)

Syeed Ali May 30th, 2012 11:36 AM

17-55mm Canon lens + Formatt Filters = avoid

Just came back from a shoot and found a lot of wide shots at 17mm with a vignette effect.

I was using a Formatt Polarising filter on the Canon lens but I suppose it could happen on any similar size filter.

I also happened to purchase some "super slim" Polarising filters from Jacobs today and they work ok at 17mm.

Jon Fairhurst May 30th, 2012 12:45 PM

Re: 17-55mm Canon lens + Formatt Filters = avoid

One option is to buy a step up ring and use oversized filters.

Thierry Humeau June 4th, 2012 05:26 AM

I have bought a FORMATT ND 0.9 ND filter and it adds a very marked reddish tone that make it pretty much unsable. Formatt is no good...

Thierry Humeau June 4th, 2012 05:31 AM

I have bought a FORMATT ND 0.9 ND filter and it adds a very marked reddish tone that make it pretty much unsable. Formatt is no good...

Paul Joy June 27th, 2012 07:56 AM

This lens will cause vignetting on the C300 even without a filter attached, see my tests here...

Paul Joy – Freelance Filmmaker

The only reason I've kept this lens is because one of my main clients prefers a cropped look to there videos which removes the error.

Mark Dobson June 27th, 2012 08:52 AM

Great looking shots Paul.

I know you have experienced vignetting with the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM lens but I don't it's a universal problem.

I have carried tests myself and do not have any vignetting issues.

This subject was covered in a previous thread on this forum. Other C300 users experienced no vignetting issues with this lens.

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/new-cano...7-55-c300.html

Stuart OSteen June 28th, 2012 04:54 PM

My experience has also been that there's no vignetting with the 17-55. Seems to be a problem with some lens/camera combination, possibly caused by error in manufacture? Hard to say.

Paul Joy June 29th, 2012 02:00 AM

Fair comment, I should have said "can cause vignetting without filters". I tried two different versions of the lens with the same results on my C300. I'd be very shocked if there's variations like that in lens manufacture, even with EFs lenses. Perhaps there's differences in C300 build.

It's an odd one indeed.

Paul

Steve Benjamin June 29th, 2012 03:03 AM

Is there a difference in the lenses between manufacturing dates? perhaps they slightly altered the design on later models?

Nigel Barker June 29th, 2012 04:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Joy (Post 1740803)
Fair comment, I should have said "can cause vignetting without filters". I tried two different versions of the lens with the same results on my C300. I'd be very shocked if there's variations like that in lens manufacture, even with EFs lenses. Perhaps there's differences in C300 build.

It's an odd one indeed.

Paul

Paul, I am one of those who doesn't see vignetting so we obviously need to hold a Norfolk C300 Owners Club meet & swap our respective lenses & C300s:-)

BTW As I believe that you are an IoV member there is an area meeting at our place on 7th August so if you did want to bring your camera along...

Paul Joy June 29th, 2012 10:46 AM

Sounds like a good plan Nigel, I'll bring mine along and we'll see if we can solve it.

Stuart OSteen June 29th, 2012 02:19 PM

I, for one, will be very interested in what you discover.

Paul Joy July 9th, 2012 05:16 AM

I've just received a loaner C300 from Canon while mine is being repaired and my 17-55 vignettes exactly the same on that camera.

Paul.