New Ef-S Lenses and EMD at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems

Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
For all Canon Cinema EOS models: C700 / C300 Mk. II / C200 / C100 Mk II and EF / PL lenses.

Old June 9th, 2012, 11:00 AM   #1
Trustee

New Ef-S Lenses and EMD

Somewhat cryptic in Canon's press release regarding the two new EF-S lenses announced yesterday is this statement about a new type of lens diaphragm:

"the EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM features a circular aperture with an Electro Magnetic Diaphragm (EMD) which permits highly-accurate control over aperture settings."

DPReview adds in their description this little tidbit..."allowing smooth and accurate control over aperture for video shooting."

So I guess there are two questions: Is dpreview.com jumping the gun on the "smooth" thing? and if it turns out to be true, would this improve the fine aperture control on the C300?

Barry
Barry Goyette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2012, 02:13 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: New Ef-S Lenses and EMD

Interesting questions Barry.

Having worked out what STM stands for ( Stepper Motor ) and read the available information I guess we will have to wait and see whether it offers smoother aperture control.

I think the image stabilisation will be excellent. But it's the advanced autofocus that this lens offer in combination with the new rebel T4i / Eos 650D that's really of interest.

But unless this lens has superb optics I don't really see it being that much of an addition for the C300 but I will certainly try it out when it hits the shelves of our local Canon dealer.
Mark Dobson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems