DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-cinema-eos-camera-systems/)
-   -   Grip Aperature/Gain Setting Question (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-cinema-eos-camera-systems/508988-grip-aperature-gain-setting-question.html)

Sean Seah July 3rd, 2012 10:08 AM

Grip Aperature/Gain Setting Question

Hi guys, am considering to get the C300 but adjusting the ISO was a total pain using the menu button for run and gun shooting. I'm trying to see if I can have both Aperature and ISO control on the grip itself.

I checked the manual and understand i can assign the magnify button to FUNC/ ISO. However I am unsure if I could use the control dial (which by default controls the aperature) on the grip to select the ISO MOMENTARILY? I'm trying to model it after the 5D2 which I could press the ISO button and dial the exact ISO i want. After which i can continue to use the same control dial to control the aperature.

From the menu it seems impossible.
Thanks.

John Gardiner July 3rd, 2012 02:40 PM

Re: Grip Aperature/Gain Setting Question

I've had my C300 for a few weeks now. I changed the "magnify" button on the grip to "function." I can adjust the aperture with the wheel and then cycle through the other functions like ISO/shutter/white balance pretty quickly.

And I can do while recording.

Paul Joy July 3rd, 2012 04:17 PM

That's a pretty good idea, especially as the magnify feature on the C300 is a waste of space. I miss the magnification and movement from the 5D, the zoom level is almost pointless on the C300 and there's not movement at all.

Sean Seah July 3rd, 2012 07:36 PM

Thanks John! I will pop by the shop later to have a go at it. I really dig the C300 having tested it with the FS700 recently. Its a lot more ergonomical to use. With this fixed i now have to think about a suitable rig for run n gun use.

Simon Denny July 4th, 2012 02:02 AM

I do the same as John with the function Button, quick as.

And the magnify focus is a joke, gotta fix that one Canon.

I have shot for two three weeks solid with the C300 and find over all it's excellent. I have not shot with Clog on a pro booking yet as I shoot and hand over footage to an editor etc... Of course I have shot Clog for my own stuff and love it.

For all my client based gigs I'm using standard 4 as my profile, gotta watch my highlights with this setting.

John Gardiner July 4th, 2012 03:17 AM

I've found the "magnify" useful on a few shoots recently. Really helpful when shooting medium shots at a shallow f-stop, punches in just enough to get see the eyes.

Been using the pixel/pixel mode on my 7'' marshal to get the focus on the dolly in moves though.

Note on the FS700, I was really torn on the day before NAB when I read the specs. Then I handled one at at the show in Vegas. Couldn't believe how cheap it felt, thought the front end was going to fall off when I engaged the ND's.

Very happy with my C300

Simon Denny July 4th, 2012 03:34 AM

Yep, spot on with the medium shots using the magnify button but anything long it's useless.
I find it odd that when a camera is built that they add some great features but miss out the most basic day to day features we all need.

Zebras under 70
Magnify just like the 5D
Pal 1 frame record
View assist: Assignable button somewhere.

Sean Seah July 4th, 2012 09:56 AM

Thanks to your inputs I'm a proud owner of a C300!! The low light is insanely good and the ergonomics is much better than the FS700 for me. It is pretty easy to find my way around.

I managed to set the FUNC-ISO on 7 but i cant use the scroll wheel to set the aperature and iso as well. I use the little joystick beside the MAG button on the grip. Basically i press the 7 button to activate the ISO mode followed by joystick up or down. Is that how u guys are doing it?

One more question, does the C300 have AWB? Its very handy for me (spoilt by 5D2/5D3). Its pretty easy to set the WB thou but just in case.. AWB still works good for me.

Thanks!

John Gardiner July 4th, 2012 02:56 PM

Yes, the joystick is how I make the adjustments. It took a few shoots to change the muscle memory from rolling the wheel instead.

Nigel Barker July 5th, 2012 12:39 AM

It still seems daft to have both wheels locked to the same adjustment. It would suit me to have the thumb wheel on the grip assigned to aperture but the other to ISO.

There is no AWB as such but there is something that is much better. The problem with AWB on the 5D2/5D3 is that while it is pretty accurate outdoors that it is constantly changing & there is no way of locking it so if you pan or a cloud goes across the sky the WB alters. Custom WB on the 5D2/5D3 is very good but involves mucking about taking a still of a grey card or using an Expodisc then delving down into the menus & telling the camera to use that particular still image to set WB. On the C300 (as on the XF105/305) you have two stored custom WB setting which you set by using a grey card or Expodisc & pressing the WB button. It thinks about it for a couple of seconds & then stores that setting as Custom A or Custom B. It's pretty easy to flip between these settings if you set them up before hand & you are moving between areas with different lighting.

Sean Seah July 5th, 2012 02:00 AM

I'm getting the hang of it. No major issues with the WB, I will use the presets for a floresent in combination with the day and tungsten mostly when in a hurry.