Bag for C300 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
For all Canon Cinema EOS models: C700 / C300 Mk. II / C200 / C100 Mk II and EF / PL lenses.

Old August 8th, 2012, 06:22 AM   #1
New Boot

Bag for C300

Hello fellow C300-Shooters!

I've searched the net and this forum but I cant find a listing of suitable and good bags (not cases).

Which bags are you guys using? Which configuration of your cam are you transporting in it.

Any suggestion would be highly appreciated.

Cheers,
Clemens
Clemens Sauerwein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2012, 08:33 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Bag for C300

If not using a rig, seems like a bowling ball bag should suffice. They have basic to elaborate models and aren't very expensive.
Mark Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2012, 02:52 PM   #3
Trustee

Because the camera has a weird shape I have been looking at this bag: Lowepro Vertex 300 Camera Backpack.

looks like it can hold the body and screen etc... along with a 17" laptop and room for lenses. Also it fits the Airline regulations here in Australia for carryon.
Simon Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2012, 07:13 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Portabrace has a new line out. Carry bag or backpack.

PortaBrace - Camera Rigs
David A. Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2012, 07:59 PM   #5
Trustee

Just an update on the bag that I have just purchased for the C300.

I chose the Lowepro Vertex 300 Camera Backpack. As you can see from the photo I have the: C300, 5D, 16-35mm, 24-70 mm, 70-200mm plus batteries and a MBP 17" in the top pocket.

For my needs this bag is excellent.

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Bag for C300-c300-bag.jpg  
Simon Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2012, 11:38 PM   #6
New Boot

I went with the "Camera Daddy Bag" from cinebags. I've got two lenses, four batteries, chargers, 7'' monitor, rails, mic and slate. Still enough room for additional lenses.

It's pretty heavy and I i have to break down the camera each time, aside from that it's a perfect for me.
John Gardiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2012, 10:13 AM   #7
Major Player

I have been using the Think Tank 'Airport Security' rollerbag.
Airport Security? V 2.0 Roller Camera Bag - Think Tank
It fits in all but the very smallest overheads (won't fit in commuter plane overheads, but pretty much everything else) I am able to get the camera disassembled, a 16-35L, 24-70L, 8-15L, 100-400L, 18-135, 50, 24TS, 70-200L, 7D body, 4 batteries, Lectrosonics SM receiver and transmitter, receiver sled, 3 batteries for the wireless, lav mics, a couple of filters and about 8 media cards plus sennheiser shotgun mic w/windscreen, cables, adapters.

Oh, yeah.... AND a 17" MBP. Mind you, this is pretty intricately packed, but amazes me I can get this much stuff on as a carryon. Before finding this bag, I was using a Lowepro similar to one pictured in this thread, but it was too large to fit in the overhead, so it had to be packed into a Pelican and checked. This is much more reasonable, and way better protection. The Think Tank bag is by far the best constructed and most thought out bag I have ever come across. I'm just sorry I didn't discover these guys sooner. The bag also has TSA approved combination lock on the main compartment, and a hidden steel cable which pulls out w/padlock which allows you to lock the bag to a stationary object. I didn't think I'd use this... but it's amazing how nice it is to lock the bag closed, then lock it to a railing or chair in an airport lounge while running to the bathroom or getting a snack. (don't try that in the main terminals though! Not that the bag would get knicked, but security might take issue with an unattended bag locked to a chair....) There's also a hidden front cable and lock which will lock another bag (like a computer bag or laptop) to the roller bag.

One last thing.... it even doubles as a backpack! It has hidden pull-out shoulder straps. I've never used them, and think it might be pretty uncomfortable, but when you really need your hands free it might be quite handy.

Is it obvious how much I love this bag? Keep in mind you cannot really keep the camera 'built' in the bag. I usually just carry the camera assembled on the shoot, and roll the bag around for the lenses and batteries and such. But for getting to and from the location, especially on aircraft, it can't be beat.
Old August 13th, 2012, 11:45 AM   #8
Major Player

I would love to see a picture of your pack with this bag. Have you gotten it under the seat for smaller jets? I've always managed that -- barely.

Another option for the budget minded would be the Ape Case from B&H:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/829131-REG/Ape_Case_ACPRO4000_ACPRO4000_Digital_SLR_and.html
I've been using this with my twin DSLR setup. And it works great. No problems with normal overheads. Have had some trouble with smaller jets, but by getting an aisle seat and taking out the cart, I can get it under the seat.
Brett Sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2012, 06:23 PM   #9
Major Player

I'll try to get a still shot on here....

No way it'll fit under the seat. It's just barely overhead size, but so far the only jets that I have not been able to fit it into the overhead have been Canadair commuter planes, and the upper deck of a 747. (you can't fit anything on those) On the upside, so far I have had great success getting flight attendants to allow it in the closets on both types of planes, avoiding a gate check.
Old October 14th, 2012, 06:15 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Thread has been quiet for a while but I just want to agree with Derek on the Think Tank bag. And add a smaller option for commuter planes I get stuck on often. I have had the Think Tank for years and used it with EX cameras and now with the C300. But it does scare me when I get stuck on smaller planes. If I know that is going to happen I use the LowePro Dryzone 200 which is one amazing waterproof pack for cameras. And yes it even floats.
Lowepro - DryZone 200
Old October 15th, 2012, 03:31 PM   #11
Major Player

I flirted with getting a Thinktank, but I absolutely have to get my case on every plane. I take a lot of little jets and even prop planes. I started using my Petrol Dr. Bag because, I have yet to find a plane I cannot get that bag on. I use a Kata Insert-trolley with mine and just take it off to get it under the seat. I have an older-style, but it looks like the equivalent is the Petrol PC003 Deca Doctor Bag 3.

In mine I get - C300 (broken down), LCD/audio unit, Canon 17-55 f2.8, 15-85, 70-200, Tokina 11-17, 1.4x extender, 3 canon batteries, 2 sony batteries, Rode Videomic Pro, Audio Technica 875 shotgun, Sennheiser wireless set (including plug-on transmitter), XLR cord and all sorts of adapters. I can take a picture if anyone is interested.
Old October 15th, 2012, 04:39 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Brett that looks like a great option and at the right price. You have no problem putting that under the seat on a prop plane, or the small commuter jets?
Old October 16th, 2012, 06:31 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Brett I would like you to send some pictures. I checked the dim and from what I can read, and I could be wrong but that bag will not fit under the seat on commuter planes. That is unless your bag is smaller then the Petrol PC003 Deca Doctor Bag 3.

Since I am also stuck on the commuter planes at times it would be good to have you prove me wrong, if you have used it. That way I will look into that bag and the Protabrace version.

Edit Post:
I checked and the Petrol bag that is carry on approved is the PD433 DR-SLR.

Last edited by Paul Cronin; October 16th, 2012 at 03:18 PM.
Paul Cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2012, 01:45 PM   #14
Major Player

I think the PC003 is the closest to mine. Dimensions seem similar. The dimensions they have on the website I think are sort of wrong. You'll notice how the exterior and interior dimensions are very different. The top can either be peaked or it can be scrunched down. The dimensions they give are for a peaked top I believe. Mine scrunches down flat. I can't be 100% sure they didn't add an inch or so to the height as I have an older model. If I flop the handles to the side, mine really does go under the seat. It's a tight fit but it makes it.

They also added the snap-lock trolley which mine doesn't have. The bracket could add half an inch to the height. Which might make the fit even tighter. Also they added skids to the bottom, which I would remove.

Will send pictures soon.
Old October 17th, 2012, 02:26 PM   #15
Major Player

+1 on the ThinkTank Airport International.

Here was mine packed for a recent trip to brazil...
Attached Thumbnails
Bag for C300-img_2899.jpg  

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems