Newbie question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems

Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
For all Canon Cinema EOS models: C700 / C300 Mk. II / C200 / C100 Mk II and EF / PL lenses.

Old August 23rd, 2012, 11:38 AM   #1
Major Player

Newbie question

So I just got my C300. I'm still figuring it out. But one conundrum I can't figure out. I'd like to have the scroll wheel on the handle adjust ISO as that will be my first step to controlling exposure. However, if you change the wheel to adjust gain/ISO it appears there is no longer any way to adjust the aperture!? Am I missing something. One would think you should be able to access it with the Function or a custom button, but that appears to not be the case.

In general I like the camera. I do think customization of the buttons and wheels could be much, much, much better than it currently is. It's puzzling why Canon didn't do a better job with this. Example, ISO+, ISO-, would be a lot more useful than Headphone+,Headphone-. And why can't I program different wheels for different things? A couple more buttons on the hand grip would have been nice too.

My other gripe, ISO seems to be rated higher than other cameras I'm used to. (ISO 3200 is more like ISO 1600) Of course I haven't gotten into tweaking the camera settings yet.
Brett Sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2012, 01:00 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Newbie question

I use #7 button on grip to access ISO, white balance etc, and the "joystick" on grip to scroll through them, and the leave the scroll wheel for aperture set to "fine" so its smoother when changing f stops for exposure
Nigel Akam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2012, 02:52 PM   #3
Major Player

Yeah, my setup is something like that, but I don't want to give up magnification on the handle. It's just a little slow for changing ISO. Something ironically, that was much faster with Canon DSLRs and Magic Lantern. Maybe I'll get faster at it eventually. It's just frustrating, because the controls are there for making this easy. They just aren't properly implemented.
Brett Sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2012, 10:35 AM   #4
New Boot

why in the world would you want to quickly change our ISO settings?
Matthew Gellert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2012, 12:07 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Gellert View Post
why in the world would you want to quickly change our ISO settings?
Run'n'gun events documentary etc Not all C300s are used for shooting movies & TV shows under controlled lighting. I would love to have one of the wheels adjust ISO as there isn't the Low Medium High gain switch you usually find on camcorders.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2012, 12:11 PM   #6
New Boot

Easily changing ISO is one of the reasons why I love this camera. I like to keep a constant aperture as much as I can, while shooting in spaces with
different light levels. Even when shooting documentary I like to keep control over the aesthetics of the images. The ability to change the ISO level "on the fly" is one things that help.
Peter Lataster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2012, 06:50 PM   #7
Major Player

I want the bottom wheel on the side to change ISO. I want the top wheel to change adjust White Balance - the button in the middle would toggle the wheel between White Balance Trim and White Balance mode. If I could do these things with the wheels, making adjustments would be extremely fast.
Brett Sherman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems