Canon EOS C100 - Page 13 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
For all Canon Cinema EOS models: C700 / C300 Mk. II / C200 / C100 Mk II and EF / PL lenses.

Old October 24th, 2012, 05:55 AM   #181
Inner Circle

Re: Canon EOS C100

I am not an old school camera operator & have never been very keen on using an EVF probably because the ones that I have used have been pretty crappy e.g. XHA-1 so I am usually happier using the LCD monitor. However the EVF on the C300 is lovely & I like using the camera in stripped down mode without the monitor & XLRs. The EVF on the C100 looks like the all but useless one on the XF100. I guess that they have to differentiate between the C300 & C100 ergonomically as the lesser quality AVCHD recording on SD cards can be avoided with an external recorder so that there is no difference in recorded image quality between C300 & C100.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2012, 10:23 AM   #182
Major Player

The grip connections are identical to the C300. Does anyone know a way to use a rig to remount the grip for left hand use?
Philip Lipetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2012, 10:39 AM   #183
Major Player

On the EVF: I used my XF105 yesterday and tried to use the EVF as much as possible. It's about the same size as the C100 (0.24-inch vs. XF105 at 0.24) but much lower resolution (C100 is 1.555 million dots and XF is 260,000 dots). With peaking I could focus pretty well, but it's a small window on the world. It's not really too bad though and the LCD is in the right place to use it handheld

What bothers me about the C100 is that you really need the EVF to use it optimally. The LCD is in the same place as a DSLR. It does swivel, but it still forces you to hold the camera out from your body if you're doing handheld without any additional rig. I can't stand that.

So, I think if I got the C100 I'd use the EVF quite a bit. I'm waiting to get some reviews on the camera (especially image quality) and then decide.
Steve Kimmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2012, 08:31 PM   #184
Regular Crew

Steve, I echo your concerns on handheld use. I've scrutinized all the footage of people holding the cam, trying to see how I might get a 3rd point of contact in there while using the LCD.

One thought I had was that with the LCD horizontal, I might be able to press the edge against my chest and still be able to peek at it from there (like I occasionally do with my 60D). I think the design slightly improves upon DSLR's by putting the grip further forward to better accommodate this handheld position.
Old October 25th, 2012, 10:37 PM   #185
Major Player

I agree, the grip definitely makes a difference (judging from my very brief C300 experience at least). Will be very curious to try out the C100 before I make any decisions.
Steve Kimmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2012, 03:14 AM   #186
Inner Circle

The grip, as I sort of mentioned, really is a major factor in the C100's usability. Also, the C100 being quite a bit lighter than the C300 helps a lot more than I had imagined (when I compared the the weight numbers in all the official specs on the Canon website).

Regarding a third point of contact. Well, although not suitable for many shots, pressing the camera to ones upper chest (with the LCD in a horizontal, pointing up, position) could work well - for those type of shots only of course! However, one point that might be worth noting is battery size. I have (already) bought several small Canon BP-955 batteries (same as the one the C100 will ship with) in anticipation of putting it to work as soon as I get my C100. However, I imagine that the larger Canon BP-975 battery (which sticks out at the back when on a C100) might actually be better in this respect as it would allow a "much firmer" bracing point. (From pictures it looks like it sticks out about as much as the LCD would in the flat position).

I really think that the specific Zacuto finder (or similar) will not only solve the poor EVF but also provide some of the extra stability and comfort that comes with more body contact. As always, I'll see how I get on before spending on one of those though as they are not likely to be cheap!
Old October 26th, 2012, 05:04 AM   #187
Major Player

If you are using Canon lenses the C100 is only about half a pound lighter than the C300, as exposure control other than AE requires the grip, which adds weight. With manual lenses, sch as ZEiss or Rokinon, you do not need the grip However, with Canon lenses you get peripheral exposure illumination to reduce vignetting,

As for handheld use, it is not optimal without the EVF as a third point of contact. The Zacuto Z Fnder will be an essential piece of gear, more weight. Wish it was at least listed on the Zacuto website; so far, it has appeared only in the C100 video they did,

Last edited by Philip Lipetz; October 26th, 2012 at 08:29 AM.
Old October 26th, 2012, 07:16 PM   #188
Trustee

While there has been some discussion about using the HDMI output with an external recorder, the spec for the C100 on the Canon website says it records to 4:2:0. Is it confirmed the HDMI output is 4:2:2?

(Sorry if this has been answered)
Tom Roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2012, 08:35 PM   #189

Why couldnt they have just taken all the features from an XL2/XL H1 and made it into a bigger sensored version? At least the XL series cameras had proper servo controlled lenses with IS and AF. Why have Canon gone backwards?? Even my old Hi8 L2 has a great servo zoom on all lenses that came with it.
Lee Mullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2012, 09:54 PM   #190
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Roper View Post
While there has been some discussion about using the HDMI output with an external recorder, the spec for the C100 on the Canon website says it records to 4:2:0. Is it confirmed the HDMI output is 4:2:2?

(Sorry if this has been answered)
IT is 4:2:2 out, they checked it for me at the Canon Hollywood presentation. There is one other major issue They are checking for me right now, and I hope to have an answer next week.
Old October 26th, 2012, 11:20 PM   #191
Inner Circle

OK, now you've got me worried Philip......
Old October 26th, 2012, 11:24 PM   #192
Major Player

It could be major or it could just be Canon Pro Support giving another wrong answer, Remeber they said the HDMI out was only 4:2:0 when it is 4:2:2. Let's wait and see.
Old October 26th, 2012, 11:38 PM   #193
Inner Circle

OK, let us know when you've got the answer.
Old October 27th, 2012, 01:33 AM   #194
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalan Salur View Post
Why couldnt they have just taken all the features from an XL2/XL H1 and made it into a bigger sensored version? At least the XL series cameras had proper servo controlled lenses with IS and AF. Why have Canon gone backwards?? Even my old Hi8 L2 has a great servo zoom on all lenses that came with it.
The problem is designing motor zoom lenses for a large sensor camera. You need an awful lot more expensive optics. There is a good reason why the constant aperture lenses for DSLRs are at best 3X.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2012, 11:40 AM   #195
New Boot

As soon as you hear anything, please post! Thanks

" There is one other major issue They are checking for me right now, and I hope to have an answer next week."
Richard Jacobs is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems