Canon EOS C100 - Page 14 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems

Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
For all Canon Cinema EOS models: C700 / C300 Mk. II / C200 / C100 Mk II and EF / PL lenses.

Old October 29th, 2012, 02:18 PM   #196
Major Player

Re: Canon EOS C100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Lipetz View Post
It could be major or it could just be Canon Pro Support giving another wrong answer, Remeber they said the HDMI out was only 4:2:0 when it is 4:2:2. Let's wait and see.
I believe that was from Canon Australia.....

Jim Martin
Filmtools.com
Jim Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2012, 09:12 PM   #197
New Boot

This Canon rep confirms that the HDMI output is 4:2:2
It was posted just 11 hours ago.
In fact, he states it twice.. at time 2:30sec and 2:45sec.
Richard Jacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2012, 09:29 PM   #198
Major Player

That is not the pending issue. canon Japan confirmed that not only is it 4:2:2 but it is identical to C300
Philip Lipetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2012, 09:07 AM   #199
Major Player

Well guys it was great following this thread and having a C100 on pre-order but now seeing the direction Sony is going and hopefully Panasonic following suit I'm canceling my pre-order and waiting this out a bit more. If history is correct Canon's next offering should be in 2 more years which should have the slow-mo I'll miss if I purchased the C100. Not taking that chance again. -____-
Monday Isa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2012, 09:24 AM   #200
Inner Circle

Yep, those two new Sony F5 and F55 cams sure look GREAT and I'd love one! We don't know pricing yet but rumours (and they are only rumours at the moment) are that the F5 will give the C300 VERY serious competition on price - and of course totally tramples it on the specs front. I think if I was about to buy a Canon C300 or C500 or 1D-C at the moment it would be wise decision to wait - if I could. Soon it won't just be RED that's repositioning its price offering! Fantastic news from Sony.

However, C100 is/was definitely always going to be in a lower price bracket no matter what. I've been looking hard for a year already and need it now/can't sit things out any longer and in truth don't want to spend £>10K on any one cam in this fast moving environment anyway. But if the jobs keep flying in like they are at the moment maybe I'll get a F5 or F55 one day not to far in the future : -)
Old October 30th, 2012, 09:30 AM   #201
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Wilkinson View Post
Yep, those two new Sony F5 and F55 cams sure look GREAT and I'd love one! We don't know pricing yet but rumours (and they are only rumours at the moment) are that the F5 will give the C300 VERY serious competition and of course tramples it on the specs front. I think if I was about to buy a Canon C300 or C500 or 1D-C at the moment it would be wise decision to wait - if I could. Soon it won't just be RED that's repositioning its price offering!

However, C100 is/was definitely always going to be in a lower price bracket no matter what. I've been looking hard for a year already and need it now/can't sit things out any longer.
Agreed but I'm looking more at their new codec XAVC which they will be pushing at NAB. It's specifically handles 120P easily and of course 4K which I have no use for now. That's the direction that has caught my eye. Panasonic have their AVCUltra but they're very silent. I need a new cam now as well but don't want to be locked in to the available specs of the C100 for 3years despite the beautiful sensor it has. It sounds like the C100 definitely fits your needs right now and I can't wait to see what you're able to do with it. Best of luck, I'll wait with my aging AF100 for now (sigh)
Monday Isa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2012, 10:22 AM   #202
Major Player

New ballgame with the Sonys but what is the real price and when will they ship? Still our team could have two C100s with external recorders or a Sony F5.

And then there is the pending resolution of the major issue. How major? If I don't get the right answer we will cancel our orders, and I imagine many of you will. Takes the C100 out of the professional category, and into VG30 territory,
Old October 30th, 2012, 10:37 AM   #203
Inner Circle

I expect the F5 will be $20 K once you have XLR and proper recording. My interest is in the F55 with a C300 as B cam.
Old October 30th, 2012, 10:55 AM   #204
Major Player

Which major issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Lipetz View Post
New ballgame with the Sonys but what is the real price and when will they ship? Still our team could have two C100s with external recorders or a Sony F5.

And then there is the pending resolution of the major issue. How major? If I don't get the right answer we will cancel our orders, and I imagine many of you will. Takes the C100 out of the professional category, and into VG30 territory,
Old October 30th, 2012, 12:05 PM   #205
Major Player

Basically, the F5 is everything we hoped the C300 was going to be and a bunch more.

We've certainly shot but never owned Sony, and aside from a JVC and Panasonic camera, always owned Canons.

After the specs and Canon's imposed limitations, we ultimately ruled out the C100, they just don't compete today as a professional tool, let alone in a year. With it's sensor it should, but they've made the C100 old technology before it's even released. They're offering way less than they need to and that will prove to be a big mistake. Certainly Sony and now Red think so.

Sony has taken a whole different approach, offering much more with the new F cameras than Canon is with their C cameras. It's a bigger, more generous vision/offering of features, codecs, frame rates even the VFs and modular approach.

Canon seems all about limiting their new cameras by comparison, from the hardware to the software and telling their potential customers that the new cameras engines can't support higher frame rates.
Bad vision.
Jim Giberti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2012, 12:07 PM   #206
Inner Circle

Well said Jim,

And that is from a happy C300 owner.
Old October 30th, 2012, 01:00 PM   #207
Trustee

Shouldn't the comparison be with the C500? It has uncompressed 4:4:4 raw output from 3SDI. The advantage of the C300 is it is here and now. The C100 is going to be priced well below the F5, and it will have uncompressed 4:2:2 out the back. Sony XAVC codec for 4k, one way of looking at it, it's internally recording AVC h.264 for 4k. The C100 is AVC h.264 internally for 2k. Ergonomically, which would you rather hand hold, the C series or the F? If you were kitted already with Canon lenses, that's got to factor into a decision as well.

I think the C100 will be capable of competive images but if they have gone too far in delivering less than their best, they will get their just desserts.
Tom Roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2012, 01:48 PM   #208
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabyasachi Patra View Post
Which major issue?
Yes, this is really giving me great pause! Want to order soon, but...
Steve Kimmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2012, 02:41 PM   #209
Major Player

I have agreed to hold off for a few more days until Canon USA can talk with Canon Japan. Then I will either say what now appears to be a huge mistake on Canon's part, or what was merely a mistake in Canon Tech support's knowledge base,
Old October 30th, 2012, 06:13 PM   #210
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Cronin View Post
Well said Jim,
Seconded. Very good points from Jim. There's a lot to take in at the moment, and a lot still to come - especially prices! But Sony really do seem to have listened for once regarding points about ergonomics for one thing, and it's impressive the way they do seem to have thought about a system rather than a single product. But early days.
David Heath is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems