Canon EOS C100 - Page 22 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems

Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
For all Canon Cinema EOS models: C700 / C300 Mk. II / C200 / C100 Mk II and EF / PL lenses.

Old November 27th, 2012, 09:03 AM   #316
Major Player

Re: Canon EOS C100

Can anyone inform how effective the focus assist functions on the LCD are?

Does the LCD have good colour representation?
Dan Burnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2012, 11:20 AM   #317
Inner Circle

Mine arrived mid-morning but I've not had time to do anything more than take it out of the box and admire it! Did set peaking but there are a number of settings that you can play with so I'm sure I can get it how I want it. Magnify works fine on the LCD.

Build quality seems really good/better than I remember from handling a pre-launch C100 at the CVP/Canon Soho Hotel event in London a while back. EVF is, well, pretty much rubbish (but we all knew that by now). Fan is near silent but chucks out a fair breeze (you can set it on Auto so it only comes on when really needed).

Handling is superb with that grip in whatever position you want. Just charging up all three of my new Canon BP-955 batteries - so when I do get some time this weekend I can see what's this baby's capable of!
Old November 27th, 2012, 01:20 PM   #318
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Burnap View Post
Can anyone inform how effective the focus assist functions on the LCD are?

Does the LCD have good colour representation?

The focus assist is very effective on the LCD. Like mentioned above by Andy you can tune the peaking to a number of different settings and the magnification works all the time.

The LCD is a lot like the C300, although not quite the same (smaller maybe). It doesn't work well under harsh light and isn't as accurate as id like. Although, the images I get in post look better than on the LCD.. but that is still less than ideal in the grand scheme of things. This may have something to do with the fact that I am shooting on a tweaked EOS Std profile.
Joe Lawry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2012, 01:13 PM   #319
New Boot

Here is our first test last night with the C100!

Old November 30th, 2012, 08:28 PM   #320
Major Player

giving up on my BMC preorder this week and picking up a c100. very excited. anyone else in NYC with a c100 yet?
Old November 30th, 2012, 10:26 PM   #321
Major Player

Ok. So, I own a 5DmkIII and some good lenses. What's possible here that couldn't be done with my mkIII? I want to understand... (because I would have to explain it to my wife)
Bill
Old November 30th, 2012, 11:15 PM   #322
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Grant View Post
Ok. So, I own a 5DmkIII and some good lenses. What's possible here that couldn't be done with my mkIII? I want to understand... (because I would have to explain it to my wife)
Bill
From what I see in the posts and in the few examples out so far, Bill, consensus seems to be that it's not that the C100 blows away the image of the MKIII, but that it still wins out due to better sharpness and better dynamic range overall -- the cinema log being a great plus, too. And then of course there's the benefits of having the video camera controls w/ better audio, etc. But I'm not a MKIII owner; rather I'm an XF300 and T3i owner trying to figure out which direction to go in next... and I have a wife, too.
Old December 1st, 2012, 08:55 AM   #323
Major Player

Right. I was about to pull the trigger on a 6D to replace my 60D which, frankly can't compete at receptions with the mkIII. But, you know how this goes, if I was gonna spend $2100 might as well spend $6500... :)
Old December 1st, 2012, 10:24 AM   #324
Inner Circle

I use the 5D3s & a C300. I think that for my purposes the C100 would be as good as the C300. The images look just as good in terms of resolution & dynamic range (where the C300 makes my 5D3s look inadequate) & I don't need a broadcast ready CODEC. As it's half the price if I were buying today I would probably save my money & buy a C100 as it has a couple of additional features that I would like e.g. AWB, push AF, 15% smaller & lighter.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2012, 02:37 AM   #325
Major Player

NIgel, have you considered selling your C300 and the Mk3 to buy a couple (or 3!) C100s? There is a lot to be said in having just one type of camera to make life easier not to mention having all the images match.

I am considering selling my camcorders (HMC150s) and MK3 to replace with C100s picking up a couple

Having said that, for the bride prep a DSLR would still probably be a good choice for portability and compactness. A C100 isnt big but a DSLR is smaller.
Dan Burnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2012, 09:56 AM   #326
Major Player

if i'm reading the specs list correctly... they didn't give the c100 the wft port? can someone confirm this on their camera. rather disappointing if they left that bit out
Old December 3rd, 2012, 12:54 AM   #327
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Levine View Post
if i'm reading the specs list correctly... they didn't give the c100 the wft port? can someone confirm this on their camera. rather disappointing if they left that bit out
I can confirm they left out the WFT port and only the C300 and C500 are WFT capable. Canon had to take away some of the C300 features to make the price point low and not take sales away from the C300.
Old December 4th, 2012, 02:49 AM   #328
Regular Crew

Anthony Mozora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2012, 08:40 AM   #329
Major Player

I'm not sure what I like more, the way all that footage turned out or the subject material itself. Awesome little piece.
Mark Koha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2012, 05:02 PM   #330
Major Player

So I decided on a whim to buy the C100 after all. Coming from using the AF100 man it's going to take a while to get use to shooting with this new camcorder. Liking it so far though.

*One thing I notice that hasn't been mentioned is that while filming you can change the ISO in increments just like a DSLR. You are not stuck with 3 ISO/Gain settings while recording.

Last edited by Monday Isa; December 5th, 2012 at 05:58 PM.
Monday Isa is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems