Canon EOS C100 - Page 23 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
For all Canon Cinema EOS models: C700 / C300 Mk. II / C200 / C100 Mk II and EF / PL lenses.

Old December 6th, 2012, 12:39 AM   #331
Major Player

Re: Canon EOS C100

re Pulse.
Hugely impressive piece of work. At times the shallow DOF is a bit much for me, as i'm not sure what i'm supposed to be focussing on, and would rather see more of the image sharply. Even so the colours and the image quality are superb. I did notice some funky stuff in the motion, but that's probably the internet.

Interesting subject matter too. Thanks for posting.
Dom Stevenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2012, 09:14 AM   #332
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Burnap View Post
NIgel, have you considered selling your C300 and the Mk3 to buy a couple (or 3!) C100s? There is a lot to be said in having just one type of camera to make life easier not to mention having all the images match.
I have certainly considered it & am just about to put my C300 up for sale (anyone interested?:-)

Now I have had the opportunity to use a C100 & realise that it does do everything that the C300 can do for me & more. The first thing that stuck me is how much smaller & lighter the C100 is compared to the C300 without any compromise on build quality. The EVF has noticeably higher resolution compared to the one on the XF105 but is not as good to use because it is fixed (the XF105 extends & swivels up & down) but crucially lacks a proper eye-cup. It also lacks anywhere to fit an eye-cup. It's a shame as if you could get you eye comfortably up to the EVF then the image is fine. The LCD is decent. Not as good as the C300 but sImilar to the one on the 5D3. It is a little restricted in how you can position it but good enough.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2012, 09:32 AM   #333
Major Player

The Canon C100 EVF is pretty good if you crank your head to the side to fit the strange eyecup to your face, not the normal head position for using an EVF. Don't bother with the LCD for hand held now, the image is pretty good, You cannot use the EVF in the same head position as you would have on an C300
Philip Lipetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2012, 10:48 PM   #334
Major Player

been playing with it a bit, and i must have an unusually shaped head, as i don't find it terribly uncomfortable to use the evf. my forhead braces against the top handle and seem decent enough to deal with.

one thing i am wondering is if the rubber of the evf can come off in lieu of an aftermarket option

having a little bit of fun with it thus far. still on the wall about profiles. log gives a lovely blank canvas, but in hauling down those highlights it does bring down the overall exposure a decent notch
Old December 11th, 2012, 01:46 AM   #335
Regular Crew

Hi,

Reading all information and looking to the samples, my question is what kind of lens is everybody using or what is adviced.
I know there are a lot of possibilities but when you are putting movies on please mention also which lens used because this wil make for certain people the choise easier.

THX
Wil
Wil Vermeesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2012, 02:02 AM   #336
Inner Circle

Many (like me) will use the Canon 17-55mm F2.8 IS EF-S as the main 'go to/walkabout' lens on this cam. If you buy only one lens for it, my advice is to get this one.
Old December 11th, 2012, 03:10 AM   #337
Regular Crew

A full kit of lenses for me would be a tokina 11-16 f2.8 , Canon or Tamron 17-55 f2.8 (depending on budget) and a Canon 70-200.

Primes and Macro lenses are great too but imo more for effects and cinema style stuff where you want to avoid distortion at all costs or want a shallower DOF.
Sam Tansey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2012, 08:41 AM   #338
Obstreperous Rex

Thread moved (finally) from Industry News to Cinema EOS.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2012, 11:39 AM   #339
Major Player

Chris! you're Alive! been missing you.........

Jim Martin
Filmtools.com
Jim Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2012, 01:52 PM   #340
New Boot

Canon EOS C100

Has anyone used this camera yet and has anything negative to say about it? I am looking to upgrade into the near future and I'm thinking about getting this.
Sachi Bahra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2012, 04:23 PM   #341
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sachi Bahra View Post
Has anyone used this camera yet and has anything negative to say about it? I am looking to upgrade into the near future and I'm thinking about getting this.
Yes used it on 2 weddings so far. The EVF is pretty much useless for me. Taking a while getting use to where certain buttons are located. I really miss the ability do Over/Under-crank and no 60P. Besides that very happy with the image. Great improvement over my previous camera. Haven't blown the highlights badly as the other cam did. 87% a happy customer.
Monday Isa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2012, 02:42 AM   #342
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sachi Bahra View Post
Has anyone used this camera yet and has anything negative to say about it.
LOL! Okay...

It doesn't have 720p50/60, it doesn't have an intervalometer, it doesn't show 'Shot Duration' whilst shooting, you can't really control the camera without the hand grip attached, only one manufacturer at present is supporting the HDMI start/stop protocol (others may follow), the EVF is a little small, the codec shows pain on scenes of high detail with fast motion, the screen won't tilt down or face front, there's no built-in mic for scratch audio unless you fit the top handle,

It's easy to poke and find fault. But a lot of us are voting with our hard-earned cash. My FS100 has paid for its self, and it's there for when I need it, but I've got a whole lot of run & gun stuff to do next year, the market's gone 1080p over 720p, I don't need slomo, and so it's only the lack of the intervalometer that sucks.

I think the biggest negative has already been outed: The C100 is just a gateway drug to the C300.
Old December 15th, 2012, 08:05 AM   #343
New Boot

Yep, I didn't even inhale and I'm hooked..
Translation,, just ogling the C100 has only convinced me that the C300 is my next camera.

"The C100 is just a gateway drug to the C300."
Richard Jacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2012, 08:25 AM   #344
Major Player

to be clear, the c100 screen DOES face down, and does face forward a little bit, just barely enough i've found to be somewhat helpful for self interviews.

and the lack of a body mic can be fixed with any sub $20 laptop mic, so not really a big hassle there.
Old December 15th, 2012, 10:37 AM   #345
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Levine View Post
and the lack of a body mic can be fixed with any sub $20 laptop mic, so not really a big hassle there.
It needs to be a battery powered mic as there is no voltage available from the mic socket. It's the same on the C300 & Canon DSLRs.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems