Off-topic question about 1DC lens situation... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems

Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
For all Canon Cinema EOS models: C700 / C300 Mk. II / C200 / C100 Mk II and EF / PL lenses.

Old August 29th, 2012, 07:01 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Off-topic question about 1DC lens situation...

Sincere apologies for posting off-topic, but I need some advice on lenses for the soon to be released 1DC and couldn't find a better place on the forum to raise the issue.

My understanding was the 1DC used the EF system, so thought I would be okay choosing whatever EF lenses I liked and shooting away in 4K. But I have now learnt that actually if you're using EF Cinema zoom lenses you have to change the setting on the camera from the 4K APS-H crop to Full HD Super 35mm crop. What I need to know is what lenses can you use on the 1DC in 4K mode?

Please note that my question is deliberately broad and vague - I am not yet at the point where I want to get very specific about the glass, nor indeed specific about shooting in 4k... rather I am looking to know what range I can choose from and definitely be covered in any format on the camera.

Any input would be much appreciated!
Barry McGovern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2012, 09:28 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Off-topic question about 1DC lens situation...

This is just a guess, but the EOS Cinema lenses were designed for the C300/C500, no? Those cameras sport a super 35mm sized sensor, similar to APS-C.

Since the full frame sensor of the 5D and 1DX is bigger than APS-C AND APS-H, and since EF lenses, not EF-S, are designed for those full frame sensors, I would imagine any normal EF lenses would work fine at any resolution on the 1DC.
Bob Drummond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2012, 09:39 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Bob - thanks for your reply!

When you say "I would imagine any normal EF lenses would work fine at any resolution on the 1DC" do you mean any EF lenses whatsoever except those zoom lenses that have been said to not work at 4k on this model or are there other types of EF lenses that might not work?

Much appreciated...
Old August 29th, 2012, 10:23 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Again, just guessing here, but the EF Cinema zoom lenses may be a different beast from standard EF lenses, even though they have a standard EF mount. All the canon literature on the EF Cinema Zoom lenses seems focused on the term "super 35mm" which is smaller than APS-H and full frame.

My guess is the lenses that will allow for any resolution on the 1DC are standard, photographic EF lenses--NOT EF-S lenses or EF Cinema Zoom lenses, even though they all have the same mount.

UPDATE: Just checked Canon specs on the cinema lenses here: Canon U.S.A. : Professional Imaging Products : EF Cinema Lenses (EF Mount)

Looks like the EF Cinema Zooms are listed as EF(S) and the EF Cinema Primes are listed as EF. Therefore, EF Cinema Primes (not zooms) AND regular photographic EF lenses (not EF-S) should allow shooting at any resolution on the 1DC.

Can someone smarter than me chime in?

Last edited by Bob Drummond; August 29th, 2012 at 10:25 AM. Reason: to clarify the difference between the ef cinema zooms vs. ef cinema primes
Old August 30th, 2012, 01:06 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks Bob!

I have already chosen a Canon - it's the new wide one, the Canon CN-E 24mm T1.5 L F Cine Lens - and very happy with that decision.

I just want to choose a Zeiss or Leica now. I'd probably like something slightly less wide and with a shallow depth of field. Ideally, I would like that cinematic effect, where the foreground is sharp but quickly softens in the background.

Given my forestated concern about my lenses working in all formats on this cam, and what I am saying about Zeiss and Leica preference and shallow depth of field, any recommendations?
Old August 30th, 2012, 07:37 AM   #6
Regular Crew

When I started shooting on DSLR's, I took a cue from the great Philip Bloom, and I only used a 50mm prime lens to learn with. Not even an expensive one, just the $150 plastic 50mm 1.8. It's still my lens of choice when I'm making goofy videos of my friends and family. Shameless plug, here's my vimeo channel. Most videos are made with just the cheap T2i and the cheap 50mm lens: Robert Drummond's Channel on Vimeo

You should consider finding a service to let you rent lenses. It would allow you to sample a wide variety of lenses at a fraction of the price of buying. I use a site called Borrow Lenses here in the US.
Old August 30th, 2012, 09:29 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Hey Barry,

If only I had permission to post pictures, I'd show you some shots from my C300 with my Zeiss 35mm ZE and Zeiss 85mm ZE...

-df
David A. Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2012, 02:55 PM   #8
Obstreperous Rex

David -- please try again. Look for "manage attachments" when you post a reply.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2012, 03:59 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Someone suggested this set might be compatible with the 1DC - any thoughts?

Duclos Lenses — Zeiss ZF.2 Set
Old August 30th, 2012, 07:29 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Here's the Zeiss 85 & 35mm ZE on my C300 (Super35 cropped sensor):
Attached Thumbnails
Off-topic question about 1DC lens situation...-85mm.png   Off-topic question about 1DC lens situation...-35mm.png  

David A. Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2012, 05:35 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Thanks David, they look good
Old September 1st, 2012, 10:55 AM   #12
Major Player

Bob,
Only the cinema primes will cover the full frame of the 1D C. Canon should announce it soon. Waiting for the 1D C.

David,
The C300 images look good. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi
Old September 1st, 2012, 11:15 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Sabyasachi, I would be interested to know if you think all 5 lens in the Duclos mod collection above will be compatible with the 1DC in 4K mode...
Old September 1st, 2012, 11:58 AM   #14
Major Player

Barry,
4K video is captured by an approximately APS-H-sized portion of the full image sensor, while Full HD video can be captured in the user's choice of two different imaging formats:

1. The standard Full HD setting captures the full 36mm width of the CMOS sensor to achieve the largest possible angle of view for any compatible lens. So you can get 24 p upto 60p at Full HD and you can use the full frame.

2. An optional Super 35 crop setting enables cinematographers to match the angle of view achieved by traditional motion picture cameras.

The Duclos 11-16 is not meant for even APS-H sensor. So for filming at 4K, it will vignette at 11mm and should improve when you are go towards 16mm.

The Zeiss CP.2 s are also not meant for APS-H (1.3 crop factor as in the 1D Mark IV ). They are meant for the 1.6 crop factor 7D and other cameras. So Those should also vignette when you are filming at 4K.
However, for Full HD, you can use the Super 35 crop setting and use the duclos modified lenses.

I am not sure about other Duclos mods.
Sabyasachi
Old September 1st, 2012, 02:22 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Thanks Sabyasachi. Wish I knew of a few lenses other than Canon's new cine primes that would be okay in 4K. The whole thing is confusing me a bit :)
Barry McGovern is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems