DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-cinema-eos-camera-systems/)
-   -   question about the c300 evf (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-cinema-eos-camera-systems/510420-question-about-c300-evf.html)

Mauricio Copetti September 3rd, 2012 09:38 PM

question about the c300 evf

hello,
I would appreciate if a c300 user could describe me how is the c300 evf in terms of accuracy, image quality, critical focus situation!

I'm about to decide if I buy (hopefully!) the c300 or the Scarlet (specially for its efv that I really liked!), mainly for WILDLIFE documentaries, despite the fact that Scarlet needs much more of computer performance and storage vs. c300 less grading possibilities in post ( according to a topic in this forum...)

For my own equipment i'm using a 5D II with a ZACUTO EVF and it seems to be a tabu when I say to my friends that I find really difficult to work with it... Too milky image and very difficult to focus with it. The peaking confuses me more than help me and the quality is less then the 5D lcd...

How better than ZACUTO EVF is the C300 evf?

And if we compare c300's evf with Scarlet's?

Thanks a lot

Ivars Berzins September 4th, 2012 03:51 AM

Re: question about the c300 evf

I have a C300 with the Zacuto evf, and find the Zacuto evf not that great.

As I wear glasses I find i can't quite adjust the evf to my eye, so am having trouble finding critical focus. Also because the evf connects via HDMI cable a lot of functions such as colour peaking and waveform monitor are not available.

In comparison I find the cameras own evf is great, but I cannot use it because its in the wrong place. I like to have the evf to the side like a betacam, so must use a non-Canon one.

To be honest, I really like the images from this camera, but just wish it came in a Betacam style housing.

Barry Goyette September 4th, 2012 12:53 PM

I find focusing with the C300 evf quite easy, especially with the display magnification which essentially gives you a 1 to 1 pixel viewing ratio. I find the zacuto evf coarse by comparison...more on line with the 5dmarkII LCD screen than a proper evf, but a lot of people like it. Scarlet really doesn't have an evf...the primary option is the $3200 add-on "Bomb" evf, which at a true 720p is pretty nice (the c300 is 540p or exactly half the 1080p res of the camera). I don't have a problem with the center mounted evf....but if you want to go shoulder mounted, then you're pretty much left at adding on a zacuto or using the LCD (which is what I do --I tape a little cardboard shade to it when I'm outdoors...works fine.)

Barry

Steve Benjamin September 5th, 2012 03:01 AM

I use the C300 on a monopod a lot and use evf all the time it really is very good, (done the 5d mkii and zacuto thing which was just ok but I was happy when I sold it) being able to extend it out and put it at various angles is a great feature which make it very comfortable to use. The image is good and the peaking for focus is fine too.

Simon Denny September 5th, 2012 05:08 AM

The EVF is better than I expected and I use this a lot. One thing with it though is the focus dial on the thing is easy to rotate which makes the EVF go out of focus when I need the thing in focus. For really getting great focus I use a Small HD DP6.

Overall I really like shooting with the C300 and have shot around 25 TVCs with this in C-log, looks great and is easy to use.

Steve Benjamin September 5th, 2012 10:38 AM

I have the same problem with the diopter adjuster moving easily so put a little piece of insulating tape over it to stop it moving and it is fine now stays put.