Canon 1DC price at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
For all Canon Cinema EOS models: C700 / C300 Mk. II / C200 / C100 Mk II and EF / PL lenses.

Old November 10th, 2012, 02:27 PM   #1
Major Player

Canon 1DC price

Just got the official notice, the 1DC price is .....drum roll....$11,999.00.....

Jim Martin
Filmtools.com
Jim Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2012, 03:34 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Canon 1DC price

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Martin View Post
$11,999.00
For that kind of money, nowadays I would expect it to shoot 4k at 60fps.

-- peer
Old December 5th, 2012, 02:46 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Martin View Post
Just got the official notice, the 1DC price is .....drum roll....$11,999.00....
And B&H are now taking pre-orders for it:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/855962-REG/Canon_EOS_1D_C_EOS_1D_C_4K_Cinema.html
-- peer
Old December 5th, 2012, 04:04 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peer Landa View Post
For that kind of money, nowadays I would expect it to shoot 4k at 60fps.

-- peer
And at least 10bit.
Sanjin Svajger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2012, 09:12 AM   #5
Major Player

I love Canon but I really don't understand this camera. If someone is looking to spend over $10k on a camera for video purposes, isn't that why they have the c300?w
Mark Koha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2012, 12:23 PM   #6
Major Player

IT seems that there is a screw loose somewhere near the top of Canon these days....
Jerry Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2012, 09:44 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanjin Svajger View Post
And at least 10bit.
Or just put a 1DX price tag on it. The problem is when an 8-bit/24p camera like the 1DC gets price-wise in the neighborhood of the oh-so-much-more powerful Scarlet -- it doesn't make sense. I'd love to hear from anyone who actually buys this camera.

-- peer
Old December 5th, 2012, 10:25 PM   #8
Major Player

I've been trying to figure out the whole Cinema EOS logic, in 2012 terms, since they arrived.
Jim Giberti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2012, 11:29 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Giberti View Post
I've been trying to figure out the whole Cinema EOS logic, in 2012 terms, since they arrived.
Yep, it seems like Canon's huge success with the old 5D2 span-off well into their video department -- and there, apparently, a few miscalculations (on both specs and pricing) resulted in a stalemate EOS marque -- at least for 2012/13 standards. And to make things worse, on top of this comes Jannard and sticks it to the entire industry by slashing their prices beyond anyone's imagination. I love this guy ;^)

-- peer
Old December 6th, 2012, 12:23 AM   #10
Major Player

Irrespective of whether people understand canons idea behind this camera; the thing is that camera will fly off the shelves.

It ticks a lot of boxes with features people have been asking for for a long time, in that form factor.

Its discrete, small, shoots 4K. Being a Canon its most likely reliable with long battery life. Most likely it wont sound like a jet turbine in a small room.

The fact that it is not raw means that data loads wont be as big an issue as they are with 4K raw cameras; probably you will see over the next 12 months a lot of people buying 4k raw cameras but filming in ProRes or something instead, because the data loads are too much for all but the most specialized jobs.
Simon Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2012, 12:37 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Its pretty cool though.

No other company has a product anything like this. It should be cool as an ultra high resolution documentary/photojournalist camera that can be slung over your shoulder.
Sam Tansey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2012, 02:07 AM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Wood View Post
Irrespective of whether people understand canons idea behind this camera; the thing is that camera will fly off the shelves.
I'm guessing not. We've shot all Canon for a long time, I follow this very closely and I've seen no great enthusiasm for it, but a lot of comments to the opposite.

We were obvious customers ready to upgrade this year but each of the C cameras is missing the kind of key features we and a lot of other working pros need. For instance, they finally deliver 60p 1080 but with none of the form factor or features or new senor of even the C100.

RIght now, to get the quality image of the new sensor and 60p you'd have to buy a C300 and a 1D-C if you want in-camera broadcast codecs

We just put off upgrading and bought 3 GH3s just for the sharp 1080 60p w/ broadcast codec in camera.

If it were offered in either the C100 or C300 we would have gladly bought them.
This is what a lot of Canon users don't understand. Why Panasonic can do it, and at 50mbs in a $1300 camera, but Canon wants $14,000 for a new camera with out it.
Jim Giberti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2012, 09:46 AM   #13
Major Player

The 1D C is 12K USD (or rather 11999) and not 14K USD.

The amount of details in the 4k files of the 1DC camera is superb. It can help a person crop as well. Its high ISO ability is even better than the C300. The form factor is great. I can put it in the pocket of my Domke photographers vest. Put a wide angle in another pocket and the moment the subject is comfortable, pull out the camera and start shooting. What more do you want? The C300 can't get into my pocket like the 1D C. If you need stealth and/or want to appear like any other amateur photographer with a camera and get away with it then the 1D C is the camera for you.

It does have its negatives. It doesn't have waveform, zebra and peaking. You need a separate EVF. And it chews cards @ 4 GB per minute.

We need to use camera according to its strengths. Irrespective of a camera maker reducing price or introducing new models, one needs to have a cool head and decide whether a piece of equipment is suitable for his/her needs or not. Else, pass it.
Old December 6th, 2012, 03:07 PM   #14
Major Player

When I saw it for the first time I though great! A small form factor camera that does 4k and it can be used for taking great stills! But then I saw that in 1080p it's only 4:2:0 and in 4k it's only 24p! So if I want to capture 1080p at 4:2:2 I have to slash an external recorder to it, which kinda negates the whole plus side of this camera - which is it's small non intrusive form factor. If this thing had 10bits and 25p in 4k I would have probably already had gone to the bank:):)

Shooting 4k for an 1080p is if you ask me a great idea. But at 24p, I got no use for it. And also I really don't get why Canon insist with demolishing their cameras with only 8bits. C100, C300 and now 1DC.
Okey C100 is a low budget cinema camera but C300 and 1DC aren't. And all these camera use Log gammas!

For me the lack of 25p in 4k or 4:2:2 in 1080p for that matter and the limiting 8bits is a deal breaker. Maybe people that shot for the big screen will find good uses for it, but even then it's still 8bit. This can look really bad on the big screen. What do you guys think? Is 8bit acceptable for the big screen?
Sanjin Svajger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2012, 04:03 PM   #15
Major Player

"The 1D C is 12K USD (or rather 11999) and not 14K USD."

I was referring to the C300. $14k no 60p.
Jim Giberti is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems