C300 & Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS USM - Lens Support? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
For all Canon Cinema EOS models: C700 / C300 Mk. II / C200 / C100 Mk II and EF / PL lenses.

Old November 19th, 2012, 08:23 PM   #1
New Boot

C300 & Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS USM - Lens Support?

I'm thinking of purchasing this lens and I'm wondering about lens support. It's a heavy lens and I'm wondering if anyone who's using this set-up can fill me in on the necessity of lens support. Is lens support required when shooting with this lens?
Thanks.
Matt Gallagher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2012, 11:58 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Re: C300 & Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS USM - Lens Support?

I'm not using that particular lens, but I do know that it comes equipped with a tripod mount on a rotating collar, and it is indeed heavy, so I would definitely recommend using a long tripod plate with that combo.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2012, 03:17 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Yes Matt and Chris the 70-200 f/2.8 IS II does come with a tripod mount. I use it on my C300 and it is a great lens. But Chris is correct you should support it. I am sure there are some who will say they don't and it is fine but there is a reason for the tripod mount on the lens, and proper use of the gear is to support the lens.
Old December 7th, 2012, 04:30 PM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

Paul, just wondering if the depth of the tripod mount on that lens matches the level of the camera base... in other words, if you're using a long plate for both the camera and the lens, do you need a riser anywhere, or is it completely flush all the way across?

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2012, 05:04 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Hi Chris,

No, they don't match with my setup. I am using the Movcam rig which has a 16x9 baseplate and rods coming out the front which the lens support mounts to a Zacuto rod base between the two rods. Works well and is out of the way when using the Canon 17-55.

Don't know if they would match without my rig I can check that tomorrow also if you like and send pics?

Done in the office for the day but happy to send pics tomorrow if you like?
Old December 8th, 2012, 11:09 AM   #6
New Boot

Hi Paul,
Would love to see pictures of your set-up.
Thanks,
MG
Matt Gallagher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2012, 11:31 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Here you go a few pics that I took of the 70-200 both sides and the 17-55. The 70-200 as you can see does not line up with the bottom of the camera base it is higher.

Sorry the bottom pic is labeled as 70-200 but is the 17-55.

Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
C300 & Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS USM - Lens Support?-ef-70-200-w-c300-362.jpg   C300 & Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS USM - Lens Support?-ef-70-200-w-c300-363.jpg  

C300 & Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS USM - Lens Support?-ef-70-200-w-c300-364.jpg  
Old December 8th, 2012, 01:02 PM   #8
Trustee

The rig looks great mate. How is this on the shoulder?
I'm thinking of selling my Sony 500 and rigging out the 300 as a shoulder mount similar to what you have done.

What are some of the issues you have encounted using the 300 with your rig with this setup.

Cheers mate,
Simon Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2012, 01:22 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Hi Simon,

Hope you are well?

As you know having been a PMW-500 and F800 owner I really like the C300 on the shoulder. No problem doing it all day and lighter then the 500 which is lighter then the 800. And for fast moving run and gun stuff it is great. The 17-55 is a fantastic lens and one I use 90% of the time so far. You will miss the slow/smooth zooms that you get with fantastic 2/3" glass but so far that is all I miss.

The Movcam/16x9 base plate and top handle are excellent. But the shoulder attachment they sell does not go far enough off center. So I purchased the Redrock offset for 15mm rails you see in the pic then used the shoulder pad that came with the Movcam. This works great and lines up perfect.

You could save a lot of money buy buying the good base plate to keep using the Sony tripod system that is in the pic and same as 500. The top handle is a must in my opinion. I have the LCD there and mic when needed or two wireless when needed. It all fits in the Think Tank Airport Security roller bag and is carry on. My 5D MKIII for my still work fits in the Think Tank Accelerator Backpack with 8 lens and loads of other gear, also a carry on. So I only check one Storm case and one Portabrace tripod bag. Nice to travel a lot lighter then in the past.

I don't think you would be disappointed moving away from the PMW-500 and the added weight, expense, and lack of lens options. I always missed going really wide with my 500/800. Sure you could buy a wide 2/3" nice glass but I have purchased the full C300 kit for less.

Now I am thinking of a C100 as my backup, but I need to still see if the pic is up to the C300, not convinced yet. Please don't come back at me telling me different we all need to be convinced for our work and clients needs.
Old December 8th, 2012, 02:29 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Gallagher View Post
I'm thinking of purchasing this lens and I'm wondering about lens support. It's a heavy lens and I'm wondering if anyone who's using this set-up can fill me in on the necessity of lens support. Is lens support required when shooting with this lens?
Thanks.
I would always support this lens. It's a given in the stills world but I often see photos of people shooting video who do not. To not support it feels like an accident waiting to happen.

FWIW, here's a blog post where I am using RRS quick release equipment, the 70-200 and a 1D Mark IV:
Stopping Short of Rails | Learning to See

Below is a similar setup with the C300 and 70-200.

Both setups, C300 & 1D Mark IV, use a RRS 80mm quick release clamp, the B2-LLR-II. The clamp works well but it can be a touch snug when unlock the C300/70-200 combo from the QR clamp.

Kessler makes a really nice new clamp, the Kessler Kwik release. What it adds above and beyond the RRS clamp is that it's a bit beefier, it has a snap-in setup, and it has many more mounting holes.

Kessler Kwik Release

The Kessler clamp is compatible with the RRS rails but there is an issue in that its lever doesn't have enough clearance when the 70-200 is used. The work around would be to loosen the 70-200 lens foot collar and rotate the C300 body out of the when locking down the Kessler clamp.

See post below for more info and more links.
Attached Thumbnails
C300 & Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS USM - Lens Support?-img_5262.jpg   C300 & Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS USM - Lens Support?-img_5263.jpg  

Last edited by Jon Roemer; December 8th, 2012 at 04:30 PM.
Jon Roemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2012, 02:51 PM   #11
Trustee

Thanks Paul, I'm finding that most if not all of my shoots are now on the 300. The thing I do miss is the ability to go wide and push in as I do with a 2/3'' lens and having to change lenses when the action heats up is a bit of a problem with the 300. I have been thinking about keeping my 2/3'' lens and using a B4 adaptor but I will need to really research this throughly first.

On the 300 I'm using mostly the 16 35mm for general moving about and I have just added the DP4 EVF to help me with pulling focus a bit better.

Not sure about the C100 with its lower bit rate etc... let me know your thoughts if you check this out.

Cheers,
Simon
Old December 8th, 2012, 03:11 PM   #12
Inner Circle

That would be long with the the 2/3" lens and I need to be wide for most of my work.

The 16-35 is great and I would use it also but no IS takes it out of the game for me.

Will let you know when I use a C100 and see how it stands up. From previous AVCHD I am not interested since I go broadcast often, then a recorder, I just got rid of my Nano.

Summer down under, with Boxing Day just around the bend.

Jon,
You bring up some great products, and a path that makes perfect sense. I just purchased the Really Right Stuff tVC-34L tripod and LB55 head, with a few L84 for my longer glass. This is all for a MKIII. Great stuff and the quick release with the lens foot works great.

Did not know about the option to set up with their quick release for lens and body, much lighter and just as strong as the Sony. And with the system you showed both body and lens are very secure and easy on and easy off. I like it.
Old December 8th, 2012, 03:22 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Jon,

Could you list the actual gear that you are using for mounting C300 and 70-200 lens to the Kessler Quick Release you linked too?

There are a bunch of options in what you listed and just want to make it clear so it is easy to purchase.

From the looks of it I will sell my Sony setup and use this lighter just as strong system.
Old December 8th, 2012, 03:27 PM   #14
Trustee

The 16-35 L is great for small movements but get this on a boat etc... things get a bit jittery. I just completed a shoot with the C300 all handheld using the 16-35 L and a lot of this was with me in a car both in the back and in the passenger seat conducting interviews as the car traveled down some of our dirt roads we have here, very rough. As I was shooting i'm thinking this footage will be crap with all the motion and jitter one gets with a DSLR handheld style camera. To my amazement the C300 handled this better than I thought which gives me confidence going hand held. I would like to try the 17-55 in the same conditions.

I wonder if a zoom style lens will be on the market soon? Hope so.
Old December 8th, 2012, 03:33 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Cronin View Post
You bring up some great products, and a path that makes perfect sense. I just purchased the Really Right Stuff tVC-34L tripod and LB55 head, with a few L84 for my longer glass. This is all for a MKIII. Great stuff and the quick release with the lens foot works great.

Did not know about the option to set up with their quick release for lens and body, much lighter and just as strong as the Sony. And with the system you showed both body and lens are very secure and easy on and easy off. I like it.
The RRS is very strong. The rating is at least 50 lbs but it may be higher. The easy on, easy off, is what I was aiming for. I have been trying to keep the setup (dslr & C300) as slr like as possible (avoiding 15mm rails, follow focus, matte box, etc.) and still quickly move from tripod to monopod to slider to hand held, etc. This allows for that.

Last edited by Jon Roemer; December 8th, 2012 at 04:25 PM.
Jon Roemer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems