C300 & Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS USM - Lens Support? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
For all Canon Cinema EOS models: C700 / C300 Mk. II / C200 / C100 Mk II and EF / PL lenses.

Old December 8th, 2012, 03:40 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Re: C300 & Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS USM - Lens Support?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Cronin View Post
Jon,

Could you list the actual gear that you are using for mounting C300 and 70-200 lens to the Kessler Quick Release you linked too?

There are a bunch of options in what you listed and just want to make it clear so it is easy to purchase.

From the looks of it I will sell my Sony setup and use this lighter just as strong system.
I am going to have to amend I wrote above... My apologies.

I hadn't used the 70-200 since I got the Kessler Quick Release plate. I just double checked. The Kessler clamp lever is longer and needs a more clearance than the RRS lever on the RRS clamp.

So, here it goes. Canon C300 & 70-200 f/2.8 L lens.

This combo works -> RRS 113mm Rail for under the C300, for when you want to attach the body to the quick release clamp. RRS L84 Lens Plate for the foot of the 70-200/L lens, for when you want to attach the lens to the quick release clamp. RRS B2-LLR II 80mm clamp. It can be a touch snug to unclamp but it works.

MPR-113: 113mm Multi-purpose rail - MPR-113 Comes with 2 1/4-20 screws. You can get a 3/8 -> 1/4-20 Reducer bushing and thus mount the MPR-113 to the C300 using the two screw holes. Very secure.

Really Right Stuff -L84 Lens Plate

Really Right Stuff - B2-LLR-II Quick Release Clamp

Now the set up above with the Kessler Kwik Release instead of the RRS Clamp doesn't allow for enough room to lock or unlock the lever. There is a simple work around and that would be to loose the 70-200's lens foot, rotate the lens & C300 body to allow the lever to have enough clearance, lock down or unlock as needed, and then rotate the lens/C300 to it's normal position.

I do like the Kessler Kwik Release better for video in that it does clamp in automatically.

http://www.kesslercrane.com/product-p/kwik_system.htm

Can explain more if this is too confusing.

Last edited by Jon Roemer; December 8th, 2012 at 04:24 PM.
Jon Roemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2012, 04:52 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Work around mentioned above for using the Kessler Kwik Release with the C300/70-200 f/2.8 Combo

Lens locked down, camera in normal position, on left. Rotate camera/lens to get the camera body out of the way and give clearance to lock/unlock the large lever.

If you were to use the RRS B2-LR2 II clamp instead the photos are those that you see in my post #9 above. The RRS lever is smaller on the back end. Depending upon how the lens foot is placed in the clamp it can be a bit snug to unlock. It works but if the lens foot is too far forward one would have to rotate the setup all the same.
Attached Thumbnails
C300 & Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS USM - Lens Support?-photo01.jpg   C300 & Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS USM - Lens Support?-photo02.jpg  

Last edited by Jon Roemer; December 8th, 2012 at 05:44 PM.
Old December 8th, 2012, 05:32 PM   #18
New Boot

Thanks for all your input and great ideas on how to support the lens. Very helpful indeed. But my original query with lens support was if it was required at all… I come from the documentary world of run & gun so I was trying to avoid time wasted when changing from my 17-55 to the 70-200. (Although Jon provided a good example of how this might be speeded up…)
I understand why 70-200 stabilization is needed for still photography but I’d like to avoid using lens support when shooting video with my C300. So I guess my question is…
Will using the 70-200 without lens support damage my C300? Anybody heard of someone damaging the camera body by not using lens support with the 70-200?

Thanks Again,
MG.
Matt Gallagher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2012, 10:03 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Simon I think you would like the 17-55 for your style work. Zoom lens, yikes that would be expensive. I know the one for the F3 and F5, 55 is expensive.

Jon,
From what I see in those pics you hang the C300 off the lens? With my rail set up I am going to go for the Kessler since it is better for the C300 then the Sony QR Plate. For the lens I will see if the RRS quick release will work on the rails with the lever off to the right side. I don't use the 20-200 often but will look a this option.

Thanks for your help.
Old December 9th, 2012, 11:07 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Quote:
From what I see in those pics you hang the C300 off the lens?
Yep, that's the point for me in terms using the C300 on a tripod or monopod. Use the lens' collar/foot to support everything. Eliminate the stress on the lens mount. Be closer to the balance point of the setup. Keep it the same way one would shoot stills with the lens.

Now, mind you, I'm not using a shoulder rig or a camera support block with 15mm rails. I'm not hanging anything else off of the camera beyond its OEM display.

Your shoulder rig w/the 15mm rails probably just needs a lens support added for the 70-200 unless that's there already. Hard to tell from the photos. If that's the case, a RRS or Kessler rail/plate beneath the 16x9 rail block and a Kessler Kwik Release on your tripod head would work great.

Last edited by Jon Roemer; December 9th, 2012 at 11:51 AM.
Old December 9th, 2012, 12:26 PM   #21
Inner Circle

Agree Jon with your light setup you can get away with hanging it off the lens as long as you don't add anything. The camera is heavier then my MKIII but not far off your 1D.

My shoulder rig is on all the time since I grab and go often then click back on. I will order the Kessler quick release today and the RRS MRP 113 for the 16x9 base.

Currently I have a Zacuto mini mount with bolt holding the 70-200. I used what I had but it is a pain to put on and off. I will look at getting a RRS quick release for that since the L84 lives on that lens for the stills with MKIII.

Do you like your 1D? Prefer over MKIII?

Like your site I just ordered the same Design X template and am building now.
Old December 9th, 2012, 01:29 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Quote:
Do you like your 1D? Prefer over MKIII?

Like your site I just ordered the same Design X template and am building now.
I love the 1D X and do prefer it over the 5DM3. The latter is no question a great camera but I'm coming from having used all three versions of the 1Ds, the 1DMIV, and prior to that the top of the line Nikons.

For me, I found that while the 5DM3 was greatly improved over the 5DM2 in terms of build quality and features, it was too much of a compromise relative to what I was used to. I went from the 1DsM3 to the 5DM3 thinking it would be a good move, I reasoned that I didn't want the drop in stills resolution from the 1DsM3 to the 1D X, but I found in practice was that it was a moot point.

In the end I was lucky, my brief foray into the 5DM3 ending up saving me money since the 1DsM3's I sold back in March dropped precipitously in value between then and when the 1D X became available.

I have a blog post about the decision of the 1D X over the 5DM3: The End of the Affair | Learning to See and there's a follow up here with images from one of the shoots referenced in that post: The Conservator | Learning to See .

I have not used the 1D X for video yet... preferring to go to my C300 for video jobs.

Thanks on the web site. I have been very happy with a APhotoFolio and I'm looking to switch over to Design X once things slow down in the new year. From what I can tell it's much more amenable to mixing stills and video.

Last edited by Jon Roemer; December 9th, 2012 at 07:37 PM.
Old December 9th, 2012, 01:36 PM   #23
Regular Crew

Quote:
Yes Matt and Chris the 70-200 f/2.8 IS II does come with a tripod mount. I use it on my C300 and it is a great lens. But Chris is correct you should support it. I am sure there are some who will say they don't and it is fine but there is a reason for the tripod mount on the lens, and proper use of the gear is to support the lens.
Really dont think its necessary to support this lens. The mount is more than strong enough to support it for run and gun. I have been using the 70-200 2.8 IS and its subsequent MkII revision for years on my stills cameras, with the lens on the camera whilst camera is attached to a spider holster or slung around my neck. Its really nothing to worry about.

The tripod collar is there so you can mount the body/lens combo onto a monopod or tripod and maintain a more central point of balance so that its easier to set up and prevent lens droop.

I wouldnt spend money on a support kit for this lens unless you have nothing better to spend your money on.
Old December 9th, 2012, 02:10 PM   #24
Inner Circle

Thanks Jon,

I appreciate your input on the 5D MKIII vs. the 1DX. I have been back an forth with this for a few weeks now and two buddies who shoot with both tell me the same thing you are saying. I am going to borrow one of the 1DX for a shoot and see for myself.

Design X is what I am building now and it is nice. Will be very happy to leave my Wordpress site behind.

Robert we are all entitled to our opinion one of the many things that makes DVinfo.net great.

For me I would never use my C300 with out supporting the 70-200 and bigger glass. I have two friends who work for Canon and they both have recommended I support the larger glass on the C300.

For my 5D MKIII I don't support it unless it is on a tripod, very differ since the body is lighter then C300.
Old December 11th, 2012, 03:22 PM   #25
Regular Crew

Hey Paul,

Didnt mean my post to sound rude.

I honestly think though , that you could use this lens without support all day and not worry about it. The fact that the c300 body is heavier shouldn't make any difference, the mount is constructed in the same way.The lens is held by the camera not the other way around.

As long as you aren't spinning the camera around and causing strange centripetal forces on it, you could mount it and leave it all day.

If you have the time to support it, hey why not? Personally i think its just another bit of faff and weight to add to your rigging experience.

To be clear, if you had a 300 2.8L, then of course you would be supporting that badboy, the length and weight are too great, but the 70-200 2.8? Well i've made my thoughts on that clear already i guess.
Old December 11th, 2012, 03:36 PM   #26
Inner Circle

Hi Robert,

I did not think you were being rude at all. You expressed your opinion and I appreciate that very much.

I do move around quickly on boats shooting boats, also I do a lot of helicopter work, and some extreme sports shooting. So it is not your normal shooting. And my rig is not the basic camera and handle very often. Most of the time it has Movcam top handle and base plate with other gear on it so it is heavier. Not by choice just by quick on shoulder or tripod or handle shooing. Really like the camera and look forward to lots of TB of footage.

If it was just stock camera and handle I would give it a go. And I agree with my EF 300mm I would always support.
Old December 11th, 2012, 05:25 PM   #27
Regular Crew

Oh, so you had to go and pull the helicopter card eh!?

.....I dont think my wedding and event filming really puts it under the same stress lol.
Old December 11th, 2012, 05:42 PM   #28
Inner Circle

LOL,

Yea I have been doing that for a long time and love it.
Old December 14th, 2012, 06:56 AM   #29
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Bridgens View Post
The tripod collar is there so you can mount the body/lens combo onto a monopod or tripod and maintain a more central point of balance so that its easier to set up and prevent lens droop.
That's my reason for putting a Manfrotto QR plate on the tripod ring. The 70-200mm plus C300 is pretty heavy for my tripod or monopod so getting support much more under the centre of gravity just makes the combo better balanced & easier to handle.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2012, 03:04 PM   #30
Inner Circle

Jon thanks for your recommendations. The Kessler baseplate and RRS 130mm camera plate both arrived and they are a perfect combination. Leaves perfect space for the RRS quick release for bigger glass.

Also so far I am very impressed with the 1DX, nothing like it on the market for stills.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems