Got my C100 Wow nice... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems

Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
For all Canon Cinema EOS models: C700 / C300 Mk. II / C200 / C100 Mk II and EF / PL lenses.

Old November 25th, 2012, 07:05 PM   #1
Sponsor: Westside AV

Got my C100 Wow nice...

I just picked up my C100 today and wow it is a really impressive kit.

I will post some video tomorrow. I am very exited about the size of this cam, and the solid feel.

The balance is great with the handle. I plan to make a very compact shoulder rig including a handle relocator bar so you can get the handle next to the lens where it belongs. A 15mm rail kit is also in the works.

I will post my progress here soon.
Old November 25th, 2012, 10:05 PM   #2
Space Hipster

Re: Got my C100 Wow nice...

Great news!

How's the EVF? Is it usable?
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2012, 01:04 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olof Ekbergh View Post
I plan to make a very compact shoulder rig including a handle relocator bar so you can get the handle next to the lens where it belongs. A 15mm rail kit is also in the works.
Plus a mounting bracket for a nanoflash? Then it will practically be a C300.....
Simon Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2012, 12:17 PM   #4

Glen, the EVF is not great but usable The LCD is pretty good though I could definitely focus with it. The one-shot AF works very well as does the peaking.

Simon, yes NanoFlash/ Nija etc brackets are definitely on the list as well.

These are the first few shots with the C100. They are completely raw no CC. You can download the 1920 version.

The PP was the EOS Standard. I just wanted to see how it did.

The very first shot was wide dynamic range setting.

Looks very nice and noise free at first glans. Shot at ISO 850. With the 70-200 f2.8 L IS v1. I do notice some stair casing, it is in the original video as well. I will try to adjust PP to eliminate this.
Old November 26th, 2012, 12:41 PM   #5
Major Player

Is this shot interlaced? I downloaded the original file and am seeing a ton of jaggies/stair stepping and have not seen this in other C100 files.

Just curious and thanks a bunch for posting this and making it available for download.
Burk Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2012, 01:06 PM   #6
Major Player

I suspect the original was shot using 30PF which wraps the video it in an interlaced wrapper which can result in these problems if not handled correctly.

One annoying thing is that the camera offers true 24p as well as 24PF and 30PF for NTSC areas but no such progressive option for PAL areas as true 25p is not included.
Old November 26th, 2012, 01:08 PM   #7
Major Player

That's what i was thinking, looks like an "NLE not handling the interlacing correctly issue". Would love to hear workflow details or upload of raw clips from cam.

Oh, just to add - clip properties say 29.97 framerate but this is a rendered file so...
Old November 26th, 2012, 01:24 PM   #8

Here is a screen grab from the original file:

http://www.westsideav.com/C100Grass.png

Vimeo and or FCPX did something strange here. It is a 1080 29.97P original file.

And that is the setting in FCPX as well. It looks perfect on my HDSDI Eval monitor.
Attached Thumbnails
Got my C100 Wow nice...-c100grass.png  
Old November 26th, 2012, 01:38 PM   #9
Major Player

Hmmm, the screen grab looks fine.

Just FYI I'm looking at this on a PC in Premiere 5.5 (must find time to upgrade) in a 29.97p sequence displaying at 1080p on an ASUS ProArt 246 monitor.
Old November 26th, 2012, 02:51 PM   #10

I see in the specs for the 100 that it records 1080 PF30 not 30P like the FS700.

I guess I may have to go into AE to convert footage for Vimeo to 30P before uploading from C100 footage. I just got lazy with the 30P from my Sony cams.
Old November 26th, 2012, 09:09 PM   #11

After some research I have found others have this problem with FCPX and Canon PF30 footage, it is different than C300 PSF footage.

Here is a post on a different forum that has good links about this and a few solutions,
I will be using the ClipWrap solution. It is a very good program that I use to rewrap mts files when someone hands me just mts files instead of the entire card file structure.

"Rafael,

I spent what may have been too much time last night researching this, but here's what I came up with:

Writer Allan Tépper has a series of articles on just this issue and it's essentially new info as of the last month or so.
--

In part 1 here,
ProVideo Coalition.com: TecnoTur by Allan Tépper...

...he defines two new terms, benign PsF and malignant PsF. It appears that most of the Canon prosumer video camcorders like my Vixia HF S100 create the "malignant" type PsF file. In a nutshell, the camera creates a progressive file, but mis-tags it so that even the most recent versions of PP 5.5 and FCP X mistake it as an interlaced file. Here's more from Allan on this:

It's explained that this file must be modified slightly so that the editing program can correctly identify the file as progressive. Otherwise, FCP X will try to de-interlace a file that doesn't need to be de-interlaced and will ultimately result in unwanted artifacts and lack of sharpness.

At this point, there appears to be two solutions:
Editing Canon 30p “PF30″ footage in FCPX | Greg Reinacker's Weblog...

Solution 1 for Canon PF30 - Malignant PsF- Simply import into FCPX twice:
-Use Import From Camera to import your footage into Event 1.
-Then, use Import Files, and import the files in Final Cut Events / Event1 / Original Media – and put them into a new Event 2.

Solution 2 for Canon PF30 - Malignant PsF- Use ClipWrap to pre-wrap the .MTS files and FCP X will recognize them as Progressive.
divergent media, inc. - ClipWrap 2.4.4 update
--

I will likely go with the ClipWrap solution as the free solution is just too many hoops for me to jump through to get work done. Once I've gotten the PF30 file correctly tagged as progressive, I will set up my new Project as 1280x720 HD, 29.97p and get to editing.

Thanks,
Dave"

This has been quite a distraction. The footage looks perfect on my HDSDI (through a BM Ultrastudio Express) ,eval monitor it is only on export that the ugly interlacing artifacts show up.

I will redo this tomorrow to make sure ClipWrap fixes the problem. And post some new footage.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems