DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-cinema-eos-camera-systems/)
-   -   C100 Price (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-cinema-eos-camera-systems/512842-c100-price.html)

Dave Mercer December 20th, 2012 10:13 AM

C100 Price

Do any of you see the price of the C100 going down over the coming months? I want to buy but having difficulty with the idea of plunking down $6500.

Not sure how many people are holding back because of the price ... the competition (FS-100) is substantially cheaper.

Does Canon ever re-price their cams?

Thanks!

Darren Levine December 20th, 2012 11:07 AM

Re: C100 Price

the c300 did come down in price, but i think close to a year after launch, so there's likely quite a bit of time till you see a drop with the c100, if i were to randomly guess... maybe 5999 by may...

Dave Mercer December 20th, 2012 12:49 PM

Thanks Darren. That's what I thought too.

Paul Chiappini December 20th, 2012 02:10 PM

If Canon didn't strangle dealers with pricing restrictions it would already have dropped some. Other manufacturers do it as well, so Canon isn't entirely to blame.

I just find it suspicious when doing a price search online and everyone lists it at $6,499.

Darren Levine December 20th, 2012 03:04 PM

paul, thats MAP pricing, Manufacturer Assured Pricing.

the reason some manufacturers do it is to level the playing field between retailers. it allows a much smaller shop to remain competitive with much larger shops. not a bad idea in principle, especially for the overall economy, but yes we likely would be able to get a few bucks off if they didn't use MAP.

Dave Mercer December 20th, 2012 04:20 PM

But for those who have the camera, worth every penny ... right? If only they included the 17-55 in the price.

Jim Martin December 22nd, 2012 12:39 PM

Actually, that is Minimum Advertised Price......

Jim Martin
Filmtools.com

Al Yeung December 22nd, 2012 01:32 PM

I've been told by good authority that it's actually Marginally Arguable Price

Jim Martin December 22nd, 2012 03:06 PM

very good! you must be having some Christkringle Gleuwin!

Jim Martin
Filmtools.com

Chris Hurd December 22nd, 2012 03:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Gleuwin... schmeckt es gut?

Marginally Arguable Price for the win!

Darren Levine December 23rd, 2012 01:06 PM

Mayan Apocalypse Pricing

Paul Chiappini January 11th, 2013 06:01 PM

Been thinking about this some more. If it's "minimum advertised price," why can't it be sold/purchased for less as long as the print/online price is listed at $6,499?

Chris Hurd January 11th, 2013 06:37 PM

Whenever you come across "add to cart to see price," that's exactly what's happening. B&H and others do this all the time.

Mark Dobson January 12th, 2013 03:53 AM

The C100 will surely come down in a short while maybe in line with the 15% price drop that the C300 received.

Lucky for those that waited, but much to my annoyance having paid list price for the camera 7 months previously. However, I'm not that upset because I've been using the camera to make a living in the meanwhile and it's almost paid for itself by now.

But these bits of kit are not cheap and must also be seen as an business investment, an asset that has a residual resale value and to see that value decreasing in front of your eyes after such a short period of time is disappointing.

I find Canon's overall pricing, marketing structure quite fascinating. It is basically an aspirational value system especially illustrated by the difference in price between the C100, C300 and the C500, all using inherently the same technology, with various features added or disabled that bear little relevance to the huge variance in pricing. The C100 is half the price of the C300 which is half the price of the C500.

But more startling is the huge differential between the cost of the Canon EOS 1DX and the Canon EOS- 1DC which again share almost identical core technology but have different firmware to enable the ID C to record onboard 4K motion.

But as always the consumer is king, we are not forced to buy these top dollar products and Canon are not the only players in the large sensor game.