DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-cinema-eos-camera-systems/)
-   -   C100: photo button (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-cinema-eos-camera-systems/512850-c100-photo-button.html)

Dan Burnap December 20th, 2012 04:45 PM

C100: photo button

So i pulled the trigger on a c100 amd so far am loving it.

I have assigned a button to the photo function but nothng is happening once pressed. Other fumctons assigned to the same button work fine...Anyone using the photo functon ?

Richard Gooderick December 21st, 2012 04:18 AM

Re: C100: photo button

Have you tried looking for the photos on the card? In the DCIM folder.
I only ask because the first time I took photos I thought that nothing had happened.
But I found them on the card.
The camera doesn't give you a lot of feedback when you take a photo but a green icon should appear briefly on screen when you press the button showing the remaining number of stills that the card can hold.

Dave Mercer December 21st, 2012 07:29 AM

Didn't know C100 had ability to take stills. Feedback on quality?

Andy Wilkinson December 21st, 2012 07:34 AM

Was with a 5DMkII owner this morning and the first thing he asked was what are the stills like too!

They are only 1920x1080 pixels and taken at the same shutter speed as your video (1/50th second for us in PAL land). I've not bothered to enable this function on the C100 as, personally, I'd just focus on getting great video and take frame grabs as still pictures from the NLE timeline in post - if you need stills too. That way you have far more time to select the exact frame desired.

Sure, at this resolution they are not suitable for everything - but plenty good enough for typical web, farcebook etc. viewing in most cases.

BTW, he loved my C100 ;-)

Peter Chaney December 21st, 2012 12:41 PM

I assigned the Playback button as my photo button but have yet to assign anything else. As Andy Wilkinson said it only shoots 1920x1080 which is a shame.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Burnap (Post 1768918)
So i pulled the trigger on a c100 amd so far am loving it.

I have assigned a button to the photo function but nothng is happening once pressed. Other fumctons assigned to the same button work fine...Anyone using the photo functon ?

Dave Mercer December 21st, 2012 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy Wilkinson (Post 1769011)
BTW, he loved my C100 ;-)

I love your enthusiasm for this camera Andy. Sure makes me want to buy it.

Andy Wilkinson December 21st, 2012 04:51 PM

And another BTW. He's a good photog mate of mine (he does a little video too) but he's not been up to date on the C100 launch and all the discussion about it's various good and bad points. One of the first things he did say when I gave him the C100 to handle, without any prompting from me at all, was this;

"Why did they put such a small, awkward and non-adjustable EVF on it? It just doesn't make sense - you need something that you can pull out and tilt."

It's one of the things that will keep the C100 from being a really great camera (lack of AVCHD2 1080p50/60 for lovely slow motion being the other).

But in the meantime, I'll work around its limitations - because the (video) images are just superb and I have other cameras that mostly fill the gaps in the C100s capabilities, when I need them. Sure would have been nice to have had it all in the one cam though!!!!

As another aside, we tried his Canon 70-200mm F2.8 IS on it and both agreed you wouldn't be hand holding that combo's weight for too long! Glad I've got the much lighter F4 version :-)

OK, back to discussion on the photo button!

Darren Levine December 21st, 2012 11:09 PM

haven't tried the photo button yet either.

makes me wonder though, if they might ever decide to enable the full 8mp photo capabilities.

im not expecting it, or caring really, i love my video camera as is, but would be a nice extra touch

Richard Gooderick December 22nd, 2012 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Chaney (Post 1769052)
I assigned the Playback button as my photo button but have yet to assign anything else. As Andy Wilkinson said it only shoots 1920x1080 which is a shame.

I assigned the playback button too. It's not ideal because you cannot reach it easily when you are holding the camera with the handgrip.
The obvious button to re-assign for taking photos would be the magnify button on the handgrip, but this is much too useful as a magnify button.
(BTW I have re-assigned the other magnify button on the body as a short cut to the personal menu - the only assigned button that I have re-assigned).
I can't think of a better alternative button to assign or re-assign as a photo button.
It's a shame there isn't a second button on the handgrip.
One feature that I don't think has been mentioned is that you can also 'take photos' during playback.
Just out of interest. Could the still photographers on DVInfo explain why you need more than 1920 x 1080. For large wedding blow-ups perhaps. If so, how big can you go? Are there any other limitations?
On a paying job I only ever took photos with my 5D for the web. Usually as screen grabs. The clients were very impressed so that was good enough. I don't expect to be doing anything more elaborate with the C100 but it is nice to know what it is capable of.
The stills that I have taken so far look great at screen resolution.

Darren Levine December 22nd, 2012 07:31 AM

crop-ability, re-framing, client expectations,etc...

if a client ever asks you for high res copies of what you shot for them, even though it's just for web, and you send them the ~2mp still from this camera, they just might question whether or not you're a professional.

do you really want to have to answer the question: Why do you as a professional shoot 1/4 the resolution of the average smart phone?

it may pull great 2mp stills, but it's potentially asking for trouble to go into a paying environment with that. But hey, might be just fine if you lay all that out with the client ahead of time.

but then again, with the same lenses, a used t2i is 400 bucks...

Richard Gooderick January 4th, 2013 11:04 AM

For anyone who might stumble across my question and is looking for an answer.
This thread has some useful information:
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-...-photos-2.html