DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-cinema-eos-camera-systems/)
-   -   Shooting Time Lapse Sunsets with C300?? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-cinema-eos-camera-systems/513074-shooting-time-lapse-sunsets-c300.html)

Lee Mullen January 1st, 2013 08:51 PM

Shooting Time Lapse Sunsets with C300??

As this camera lacks any Av, Tv or any other DSLR style priority modes, in order for the iris or ISO to (automatic - which it lacks) adjust to light changes, what is the best method to film a sunset timelapse from near dusk to darkness, say of a city skyline or other artificial lighting feature?

regards.

Sareesh Sudhakaran January 1st, 2013 10:59 PM

Re: Shooting Time Lapse Sunsets with C300??

Jalan, I highly recommend full manual mode for timelapse, no matter what gear you are using. The same thing done on DSLRs have the advantage of multiple exposures for HDR.

It can only do what it can do.

Barry Goyette January 2nd, 2013 11:50 AM

What I've done is shoot in c-log (locked mode) setting the exposure where you want it with full sun in the frame and then leave it alone. The image will gradually darken over the course of the shot so your highlights are basically protected throughout. Then in post simply use keyframes to gradually bring up the tones as the sun goes down. Works like a charm.

Lee Mullen January 3rd, 2013 08:24 AM

What about shoot timelapse with skyscrapers and no sun from late afternoon to sunset/dark? If I set the ISO too low with a wide open iris (Canon 17-55 2.8) then it will be too dark later on?

Barry Goyette January 3rd, 2013 02:43 PM

Two approaches to this situation. Simplest is to change exposure one or twice during the time lapse and then dissolve between them in your edit. This can be combined with the above mention key framed "tone ramp" to achieve a largely seamless effect. The second method would require a cine lens with a stepless iris and a stepper motor/ controller to adjust the exposure smoothly throughout the length of the shot. ( this would need to be an advanced rig capable of varying the speed throughout the length of the shot-- as the exposure change would be less (or none) at the beginning and end of the timelapse, as opposed to the rate of change during the 30 minutes either side of sunset. ).

Lee Mullen January 3rd, 2013 07:28 PM

Thanks Barry. Can tone ramp be done in Premiere Pro CS5.5?

Barry Goyette January 3rd, 2013 07:45 PM

I'm not a Premiere guy, but I'm sure you can do it a number of ways with the tools in Premiere. Basically you are simply adjusting brightness of a clip over time using keyframes.

B