C100 arrived today :) Match c100 to 60d? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems

Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
For all Canon Cinema EOS models: C700 / C300 Mk. II / C200 / C100 Mk II and EF / PL lenses.

Old February 7th, 2013, 08:05 PM   #1
Major Player

C100 arrived today :) Match c100 to 60d?

No real reason for the post other than to say my c100 arrived today :)

Wedding Videos is my main workload, been using canon DSLRS since the 7d came out.

Looking forward to good onboard audio, not having to record separate sound, no record time limit, and crazy low light capabilities to name a few.

Potential downside,

1) I've been using 3 60d for a couple of years, never had to worry about matching the cameras in the timeline, as, even with different lenses on each of the 3 60ds, they always matched each other really well (as long as I matched picture profile)

2) Gone is the ability to snap off high res RAW stills whenever the moment strikes me, back to frame grabs or low(ish) res 1080p stills
(this was always a luxury so I'm pretty sure I'll get over that)

3) Again, I've been spoiled with just how small the DSLRs are, although the c100 is still very small, I can't see this being much an adjustment,

4) Wait for the c100 specific Zacuto Z finder or get the hoodman loup & riser combo.......hmmmmmm
I actually preferred the LCDVF to the z finder on the DSLRs, but the LCDVF company have been quiet the past year
(Just did a quick google, they're now known as Kinotehnik, and they have and electronic evf, but no mention of an lcdvf for the c100)

Anyone using a Canon 60d / t2i / 7d etc as a B-camera to the c100? If so, what are your findings? How well do they match? Any custom PPs to help the c100 and the 60d play well?

First wedding is next weekend, looking forward to using my new toy :)
James Strange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2013, 10:17 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: C100 arrived today :) Match c100 to 60d?

just use the eos standard profile, it's mean for just that
Old February 8th, 2013, 08:17 AM   #3
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Strange View Post
Anyone using a Canon 60d / t2i / 7d etc as a B-camera to the c100?
Have to say that my T2i is now back 'where it should be' as a stills camera and timelapse mule, but haven't started mucking around with PPs yet as the whole joy of the C100 was 'just shoot WDR and C-Log when it gets extreme'. From what I've seen so far, the 550D's Technicolor is too much, maybe the simple Philip Bloom setup will suffice.

The standard EOS setting on the C100 seems like a 6-7 stop range Rec709 look, which is a bit extreme - like the default EOS settings which I find too limiting. I don't mind doing a little work in the NLE to bring the Philip Bloom settings and the WDR together - both sources have 'enough' to work with.

But as a shooter/editor, I'm eating from my own dog bowl...
Old February 17th, 2013, 02:45 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I wouldn't go for the EOS profile either.

I tend to cling to the 12 stops of dynamic range, and that means Wide DR or Canon Log.

Try making a copy of the Wide DR profile and change the color matrix setting from Wide DR to EOS and see what happens.
Andree Markefors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2013, 08:16 PM   #5
Trustee

This http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/881840-REG/Kinotehnik_LCDVFE_Electronic_Viewfinder.html is from LCDVF,
waiting for mine
Old February 18th, 2013, 09:49 PM   #6
Trustee

Shot Wide DR on the C100 and CineStyle on a 7D and T4i. Seem to match up close enough, just add back a little contrast to the CineStyle. I feel like anything other than CineStyle on the DSLRs just doesn't have the highlight retention of the C100 stuff - which makes sense, because it doesn't :)
Old February 18th, 2013, 11:42 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Brian C Weed has made a Custom Profile to somewhat match the DSLR's Neutral setting. I'm on my phone but hopefully this works https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...ilebasic?pli=1
Old February 19th, 2013, 09:47 AM   #8
Major Player

Thanks for the replies guys, I'll have a play about with the CPs posted.

One thing that's for sure though, in very low light conditions (like the wedding I filmed on Saturday) The 60d/7d/t2i isn't really a suitable B cam to the c100, the difference in low light / high iso usability is too great.

The 5d3 however, seemed to be a much better fit (still a bit of a difference, for example on the c100 I think i was at 4000 iso, whereas to get an equivalent exposure on the 5d3, I was at 6400.

Would never dream of goin 6400iso on the 60d, but on the 5d3, it looked ok.
James Strange is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems