I thought the C300 would have had a firmware update by now at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems

Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
For all Canon Cinema EOS models: C700 / C300 Mk. II / C200 / C100 Mk II and EF / PL lenses.

Old February 8th, 2013, 03:24 AM   #1
Trustee

I thought the C300 would have had a firmware update by now

I thought the C300 would have had a firmware update by now. I wonder if this is the end of the line with the C300?

Reports that I have seen on various rumours sights are only focusing on new gear or firmware for other cameras excluding the C300.
Maybe Canon have something in the wings?
Simon Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2013, 03:55 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: I thought the C300 would have had a firmware update by now

There is a firmware update for the C300. It has to be done in a Canon service centre (not available as a download). New cameras have it installed already (1.0.7.1.00). Older cameras are still on 1.0.6.1.00.

Seemingly 1.0.7 fixes colour fringing issues, and changes the colorimitry settings.
Simon Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2013, 07:47 AM   #3
Inner Circle

The new firmware also improves the seal around the sensor. I talked with Canon Professional Product Support Center yesterday. You have to send the camera in stripped down to body, no handle, no grip, no LED, no cards, no battery. Wrapped in bubble wrap and double boxed.

Camera must be insured shipping with tracking. And with the camera send a letter with the following:
Name and address
email and phone
why you are sending it in

I do not have the west coast address but on the East Coast of the US you send to:
Canon Professional Product Support Center
65 Challenger Road
Ridgefield Park, NJ 07660

Turnaround is 4-7 days.
Old February 8th, 2013, 02:44 PM   #4
Trustee

Hi guys, with this 1.0.7.1.00 update is this a free update?

I'm really surprised that basic functions have not be updated for Pal users.
For me the 2 frames per second is not good enough for interval record and slow shutter needs to be updated for that nice motion blur.
Old February 8th, 2013, 03:43 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Good questions Simon,

The guy I talked to said it was free but you have to pay insured shipping.
Old February 9th, 2013, 02:51 AM   #6
Major Player

Just wondering if anybody on this forum has actually had this 1.0.7.1.00 update carried out or if there is any more information about the benefits of these modifications.

Should every C300 owner push to have these modifications carried out regardless of whether they have encountered the reported fringing issues. I always attempt to keep up to date with firmware updates but this one seems to require a lot of hassle and expense.

But this surely is promising news ( first reported last December ) as it shows Canon are still investing in technical support for the C300.
Mark Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2013, 12:43 AM   #7
Regular Crew

The new firmware was installed in my C300 PL back in November, when I sent the camera in to have dust cleaned off of the sensor. The work order showed the replacement of the ND filter assembly. I don't know if this part is for the new better sealed sensor area, with an updated design, or they replaced the ND filter assembly due to dust inside of it, which could have been there from manufacture or it wasn't sealed well and dust contaminated the assembly after delivery. Whatever it was, they charged me $359 for the cleaning, which I believe was due to a design flaw.

If there are new parts for sensor sealing, this means that Canon knows there was a problem and have hopefully addressed it, as they have addressed the color fringing issue with new firmware that is not documented or available for download by users. Better communication is needed on the above issues.

There as some simple feature enhancements that should have been addressed with new firmware by now, as the camera has been out for a year. Things like zebras below 70 IRE, waveform in the EVF, view assist for Canon-Log LUT on HD-SDI or HDMI output for on-set monitoring.

I've heard rumors of new firmware being imminent for the C300 and hope that Canon makes it available on their site for user download. I believe Canon will still support the C300 and hope they surprise us with some useful new features--maybe around the time that the F5 starts shipping!
Jeff Regan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2013, 01:11 AM   #8
Trustee

Thanks for the info Jeff.

Those simple feature enhancements would satisfy a few C300 owners alone. I hope that Canon has a nice surprise in store for the firmware update.

Cheers
Old February 10th, 2013, 07:57 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Regan View Post
I've heard rumors of new firmware being imminent for the C300 and hope that Canon makes it available on their site for user download. I believe Canon will still support the C300 and hope they surprise us with some useful new features--maybe around the time that the F5 starts shipping!
I WISH I knew what they have planned for updates. Seeing as I am about to make a choice between C300 and C100, or just stick with XF300 XF100 and 1Dx, the firmware plans make me very nervous about putting down the cash right now.
Andy Solaini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2013, 01:20 AM   #10
New Boot

Waveform in EVF? NICE! Thats one of my biggest wishes.
But does any firmwareupdate mean, I have to send the camera in?
Clemens Sauerwein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2013, 02:05 AM   #11
Trustee

Canon have been very quiet with those firmware updates and I hope that they release this to the public as a download. I wonder if they will update the focus feature like the 5D where you can punch in twice and nail focus. This is one feature that needs this on the C300.
Old February 11th, 2013, 06:22 AM   #12
Major Player

Hope to get the waveform in the viewfinder as well as 50p. Love this camera.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems