the grip hand strap. do you use it? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
For all Canon Cinema EOS models: C700 / C300 Mk. II / C200 / C100 Mk II and EF / PL lenses.

Old February 12th, 2013, 12:47 PM   #1
Major Player

the grip hand strap. do you use it?

now, i'll say that up until 10 minutes ago, i've left it on, it gives a nice reassuring connected feel to the camera.

but then again, i can recall more than a few times in the middle of a shot wanting to free up that hand and in doing so shaking the shot up, whereas if i didn't use the strap, there wouldn't be an issue

but that's really just an extra excuse for me to take it off, the first excuse is to get the thing to fit into a new bag i just picked up, a nice waist bag which despite it's decent size, is not quite ideally large for a C100, oddly enough in my hour of fiddling this morning, i concluded that the best fit of the camera with lens attached, is upside down. odd, but works pretty nice since we have that great little bottom lip to grab at.

but i digress. thoughts? who's ditched their grip strap and how do you articulate your preference? and vice versa who leaves it on and your reasons? it's obviously a preference and/or situation thing, but im looking to gather various opinions so i might estimate for my own purposes whether or not i wish to keep it in the bag just in case.
Old February 12th, 2013, 02:53 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: the grip hand strap. do you use it?

At this moment in time, I'm so totally prancing around with 'hullo burds, hello sky' (google Fotherington Thomas) about the whole ergonomic mash of the C100, and not just the hand strap, I even have the neck strap.

Remember, I'm often posing as a stills photographer whilst filming trade shows and corporate events. The problem I had with a Canon DSLR was everyone ASSUMED that I was shooting stills, so stood there motionless and gurned/mugged at the camera - not good video. With the straps on the Canon C100, people aren't quite sure, they tend to look but not pose.

Whilst shooting? Hmmm - hitting the magnify is okay - I can nip in and out without dipping in my handheld shot, maybe woggling the area around with the joystick would cause issues, but my current feeling is that I want the strap there so I can 'hang' the weight so I can be more delicate with the joystick. (you know what I mean)

Once I'm totally zoned into where all the buttons are, it may be worth trying a day's shoot without it, but right now, you peel that strap off my cold dead paws...
Old February 12th, 2013, 07:12 PM   #3
Major Player

I like the strap. But I'm still getting used to all of it. I can see where the strap would, at times, be a hindrance, but I like it overall.
Old February 12th, 2013, 07:14 PM   #4
Major Player

On the other hand, how many of you (former/current DSLR users) can't seem to get the thumb to stop wanting to press record? The T3i, for example, has its video/record button exactly where the C100's magnify button is. So, I'm still having difficulty changing my "finger memory" from thumb to the index finger/record button.
Old February 12th, 2013, 09:39 PM   #5
Major Player

also for me, with the strap on, it's the most horribly unnatural motion to use the wheel. maybe my hands are too big
Old February 12th, 2013, 09:55 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I tried the strap and couldn't do it. Hands to big. Easier to use without, but missing the security of the strap. I agree about hitting the magnify button as record - I do that. I wish there was a way to hit record and have the magnify go to normal, but then that would defeat using it while recording. I also wish the magnify worked on the HDMI out. Is there a setting to make that work?
John Gyovai is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems