New $2000 rebate on C300/C300PL at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
For all Canon Cinema EOS models: C700 / C300 Mk. II / C200 / C100 Mk II and EF / PL lenses.

Old February 16th, 2013, 10:56 AM   #1
Major Player

New $2000 rebate on C300/C300PL

Hey everyone, starting Monday the 18th, Canon will be giving a $2000 instant rebate on the C300s! That means you'll pay just $13,999 for the camera. This rebate is available from all the selected Cinema EOS dealers including Texas Media and ourselves. The cameras continue to do well and I think this is really about Canon getting more aggressive in the marketplace.....this deal goes until April 30th.

Jim Martin
Filmtools.com
Jim Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2013, 03:38 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: New $2000 rebate on C300/C300PL

Jim any idea if a rebate offer will be available in the UK or Europe anytime soon? You lucky Americans seem to get so many more offers than we do over our side of the pond.
Andy Solaini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2013, 03:59 PM   #3
Major Player

No idea.....Canon runs Europe completely different from the US.....here we have only 19 dealers for the C300 & C500. In Europe, any pro level Canon dealer can sell the cameras...from what I'm told by my friends in Switzerland....

Jim Martin
Filmtools.com
Jim Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2013, 03:36 AM   #4
Major Player

Well great news for those who are looking to buy and bad news for those who already own the camera as they see their investment once again devalued.

So on the one hand we see Canon not responding to a huge groundswell of requests for firmware enhancements and on the other hand offering opportunist cashback rebates.
Mark Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2013, 04:35 AM   #5
Trustee

I think once the F5 & F55 come out Canon might find moving more C300's a challenge.
Simon Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2013, 03:27 PM   #6
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Dobson View Post
Well great news for those who are looking to buy and bad news for those who already own the camera as they see their investment once again devalued.

So on the one hand we see Canon not responding to a huge groundswell of requests for firmware enhancements and on the other hand offering opportunist cashback rebates.
I completely agree. This news combined with the lack of firmware improvements is disheartening. It seems obvious that this is Canon's ploy to undercut initial sales of the Sony F5, and I think that is pointless. The C300 and the F5 will appeal to different segments of the market. I own a C300, and even though it appears that the F5 will be technically superior, I am not interested. Using old film cameras as an analogy, it is like the difference between an Arri SR and an Arri BL. Like the Arri SR, the C300 is smaller, lighter, uses less power and less expensive lenses. I don't think it will compete with the new Sony F series or the Alexa for high end projects, but it is excellent for the kinds of projects that were once shot on 16mm: independent features, television, documentaries, lower end commercials and higher end corporate productions. It would be nice to see Canon build on the strengths of the C300 instead of battling for market share with rebates.
Michael Turano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2013, 01:23 AM   #7
Major Player

During my MBA days, long long ago, they used to teach us that one of the purposes of advertising is to reduce cognitive dissonance. Advertising helps in not only influencing people to make their buying decisions but also to in reducing their anxiety after buying the product to reinforce their belief that they have taken a good decision in buying the product.

Canon's rebate is primarily aimed at bringing in new buyers to the fold. However, as can be seen here, existing buyers get affected as they feel that the value of their product is going down. To stop this dissonance, Canon needs to come up with a firmware update soon or atleast during NAB to give the things like higher frame rates in 1080, waveform in viewfinder etc etc which are detailed in other threads.

For a wildlife filmmaker like me:
The F5 or F55 will make sense if:
1) it images are great and pleases the clients
2) codec is broadcast approved
3) codec helps in quick turnaround and ability to cut in smaller editing systems
4) small and handy package - which doesn't attract attention while filming
5) records to CF cards (inexpensive )

Now C300 is an A Camera. If a 4K camera, raw or otherwise, fits all the above, then it is a competitor and it can become A camera and C300 as the B camera. These cameras need to be working all 5 days a week. Sitting on the dry box is a waste.

I am happy that Canon reduced the price now, instead of reducing it when the Sony made the announcement and terming it as love towards customers or some such thing. We all are mature enough to know that these things are business decisions. Each of us have to see what is right for us and act accordingly.
Old February 18th, 2013, 07:41 AM   #8
Inner Circle

I agree Simon being a C300 owner and liking the camera, I will switch based on how Canon has treated me as a customer.
Old February 18th, 2013, 12:38 PM   #9
Trustee

Spot on Paul, customer service. I use the C300 on about 90% of all shoots and like the image it produces etc... but Canon need to update it's firmware for me ASAP. I purchased this camera thinking that a firmware would be around the corner, well that has now been 12 months. Basic functions need addressing for me. I have to say the Sony F5 or 55 might be in my bag if Canon can't come forward with an update.
Old February 18th, 2013, 02:10 PM   #10
Inner Circle

I am with you mate. Do you still have the Sony PMW-500?

Just back from a week of shooting and I agree with everything you said, nice picture but in need of major upgrade with firmware to have me stay. And having to pay for service in the first few years is not even close to professional service. Guess they just don't care, which is not the case with my Canon 1DX that is excellent service.
Old February 19th, 2013, 02:34 AM   #11
Trustee

Hi Paul,

Yep, I still use the 500 in fact I just shot over the weekend with both the 500 & C300. I used the 500 for all the interviews and typical ENG walk around stuff and used the C300 for all the cutaways etc...
Have to say that they both mix well in the edit.
Old February 19th, 2013, 07:41 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Sounds like a good combo. I miss my 500 often.
Old February 25th, 2013, 12:44 AM   #13
Major Player

GIven the comments here, I think I'll hold off on the 300 until the firmware upgrade. Canon, you listening? A possible buyer deciding to wait on the delivery of the upgrades...
Al Bergstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2013, 05:09 PM   #14
Telecam Films

I doubt this is a temporary discount and that Canon will jack the price back up 2K in April. They must have something behind their sleeves, A C350 maybe ?
Thierry Humeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2013, 06:09 AM   #15
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Solaini View Post
You lucky Americans seem to get so many more offers than we do over our side of the pond.
Just did a quick calculation - $13,999 is £9,308 - only about £55 less than the UK price (not including VAT, which most pros will reclaim) - so perhaps our lucky American cousins can now enjoy our price?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems