Which media to use for Canon C100 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
For all Canon Cinema EOS models: C700 / C300 Mk. II / C200 / C100 Mk II and EF / PL lenses.

Old March 6th, 2013, 04:02 AM   #1
Tourist

Which media to use for Canon C100

Hi
can i use SanDisk 32GB SDHC Memory Card Extreme Class 10 UHS-I for Canon C100
or it's important to use the more expensive one - SanDisk 32 GB SDHC Memory Card Extreme Pro Class 10 UHS-I?
thank you
Irit Sharvit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2013, 04:10 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Which media to use for Canon C100

Hi and welcome.

I use (lots of) the 16GB versions of the Sandisk Extremes and everything works just fine with my C100. I'd rather have more cards than a few high capacity cards (don't want all my eggs in one basket type mentality, hence why I go for 16GB ones). You might get faster offloading speeds with the higher spec Pro cards (I've not looked at the latest specs but that is usually the case) but as far as reliable recording goes these 16GB Sandisk Extreme cards have been totally rock solid for me.

What's more important is to make sure you buy the cards from a reputable/trusted supplier to make sure you don't risk getting any counterfeits and then test each card thouroughly before it's used for anything important.

I also use these Sandisk cards for 1080p50 AVCHD2 at 28Mbps in another cam (wish I could do that frame rate in my C100!!) and they handle that slightly higher data rate with ease too.

Hope this helps.

Mods, you might want to move this thread to the Cinema EOS section where it should have been posted. No worries Irit, just try and post in the most relevant section next time. Enjoy DVInfo - a mine of information on here!
Old March 6th, 2013, 09:47 AM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

Moved to Cinema EOS w/ re-direct.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2013, 10:34 AM   #4
Tourist

Thank you Andi for a clear and detailed answer :)
I will try to move the post to where it belongs, it my first time...
Irit Sharvit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2013, 10:34 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Wilkinson View Post
...I use (lots of) the 16GB versions of the Sandisk Extremes and everything works just fine with my C100. I'd rather have more cards than a few high capacity cards (don't want all my eggs in one basket type mentality, hence why I go for 16GB ones). You might get faster offloading speeds with the higher spec Pro cards...
Most important to think of your style of shooting and what you shoot. Since I do some event coverage and timelapse, I went with 32GB cards. If rolling continuously, I'd have to change 16GB cards twice as often. I may yet buy some 64GB cards.

But, if I was shooting short rolls, 16GB would not be a problem.

Likewise, the choice of Extreme or Extreme Pro. Card speed IS the limiting factor of transferring your content for backup and editing. Older Extreme at 30 MB/s, newer at 45 MB/s and Pro at 95 MB/s. That's what you're paying for. In some styles of shooting it would not make a bit of difference. For high-volume shooting it makes a huge difference.

I shot a recent video timelapse in which I filled, offloaded, and erased my three 32GB cards multiple times, and offloading was a real bottleneck alongside 3 other cameras shooting the same thing from different angles. I was wishing for 4 cards. I was wishing for 64GB. I was considering the Pro cards (mine are 45 MB/s).

Ditto on reputable suppliers - there is *definitely* counterfeit product out there.
Old March 6th, 2013, 12:20 PM   #6
Inner Circle

All very good points for Irit to consider Seth!

Since I choose not to do too much event work, I sometimes forget the time pressures/long running sessions that many people end up doing. As you well illustrate, off-loading speed and reduced card swaps make paying the premium for the much faster and larger capacity Sandisk Extreme Pro cards well worthwhile in those situations.

Made me think. Maybe I'll pick up a couple of 32GB Sandisk Extreme Pro cards so they are in my kit bag for whenever I might need them - here in the UK they are currently about £55.

The cards I am using are currently about £11 - which makes them pretty much disposable :-)

I really hate transferring/wiping cards in the field during a shoot for fear of deleting critical footage by accident - something I've never done since I went totally file based in 2008 (with 1080p XDCAM EX3 at 35Mbps VBR, a route I still use alongside the C100). I have always made sure I have well executed procedures for formatting cards before a shoot and storing all used cards in a different section of my kit bag (both with SXS and SDHC cards). I only delete cards once I've confirmed all footage is transfered to my edit suite back in my studio (plus backed up on both optical and/or other external HDDs, typically both). This is something I like to do when I'm under a bit less pressure/away from the heat of the moment - just the way I like to work.

As with just about everything, choose your product spec on your most important specific needs - as well as the what's in your wallet!
Old March 6th, 2013, 02:50 PM   #7
Trustee

Interesting and encouraging to hear of Andy's experience - and the extremely good value. +1 on reputable suppliers, too.

A little while back, there was some talk of a bizzare issue with SanDisk cards (which carry a very good reputation) not working in 'Dual Record' mode.

I brought this up at the SanDisk booth at last week's UK BVE show. They said they were aware of it, that it was something minor and addressable and a solution would be imminent. I've not heard any further news, though.

The situation was fairly specific - anyone, correct me if I'm wrong - I think it was if you used the high end 32 GB cards in a C100 in Dual Record mode (so you're recording the same material on 2 cards at the same time), the SanDisk cards errored out after a few seconds. IIRC, their 16GB cards, and certainly all my Transcend Class 10 cards, were absolutely fine. Just the high end 32 GB SanDisk cards.

I've been very happy with my Transcend cards. Now on my second 'batch' after 5 years and I own enough to ensure I never erase a card on-site, nor even have to erase until the edit is finished and the project is archived. This is significant - on a recent job, I (somewhat foolishly) upgraded a key bit of workflow software before adequate testing during the ingest process. It didn't work out and the solution meant I had to re-ingest from scratch. All cards available, so not a problem.

All my cards are 'run in' before use. Every fresh card is formatted in-camera, then I film a TV screen until the card is full. I then erase the card and repeat. This is to spot any errors before they get used in the field. Found one bad card. Furthermore, I keep a weather eye on how long it takes to close a file, and watch for lengthening times from stopping recording to the media being 'ready'. This delay is the sign of ageing media, and so I replaced a lot of my XDCAM-EX media recently as it had gone from 7 seconds to 10+ seconds. Media is definitely NOT for ever.

I'm split between the 'safety in numbers' 16GB cards and 'keep it all together' 32GB. I'm leaning more towards 32GB these days. Your mileage may vary.
Old March 6th, 2013, 03:18 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Wow! I just checked the Extreme link again and the price jumped from under £11 (£10.58 I think it was this afternoon) to £14. Must be all the clicks it's getting so amazon's algorithium engine thinks they can make a few extra quid from all you DVInfo people clicking it from all over the globe.....At least the Extreme Pro version is still listed at the same price (at the moment).

Maybe I should keep my bargain sources a personal secret next time/not share it on forums like this!!!! (only joking) ;-) Actually, I often play this game with amazon (not their marketplace sellers) where I find an item (an expensive item) I want and watch the price like a hawk for weeks and weeks - and when it dips to something I feel is acceptable I pounce. Got my lovely Canon 70-200mm F4 IS that way a couple of years back and paid about 2/3 the typical going rate for it (at the time about £600 when they were often about £900+ from memory).

Back on topic, I have checked Dual Record mode with at least 4 of my identical Sandisk cards paired up randomly in both the C100s slots (after Paul Joy reported the problem on his C100 a while back) and have yet to have any errors in that mode - at least not YET with my particular batch of Extreme cards, bought middle and then towards the end of last year (all at around £12).

Matt's comments about media ageing are worth noting.
Old March 9th, 2013, 01:48 PM   #9
Tourist

thank you all. i think i will get some Extreme Pro and some Extreme, so im balanced...
Irit Sharvit is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems