Question about Data Import Utility/Clip Naming at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
For all Canon Cinema EOS models: C700 / C300 Mk. II / C200 / C100 Mk II and EF / PL lenses.

Old March 25th, 2013, 12:20 AM   #1
New Boot

Question about Data Import Utility/Clip Naming

So I'm thiiiiiis close to jumping into a C100 (maybe even as soon as tomorrow) but something is still worrying me. On my FS700, clips recorded to the internal SD card are obviously named Clip001.mts, Clip002.mts, and so on. So, if I'm on a 70 or so day shoot (I shoot a lot of b-roll/epk for studio films), when we wrap I'm going to have 70 or so clips all named "Clip001.mts." That's obviously totally unacceptable for any sort of media management or editorial workflow. Now, I'd also be working with a set up where I would be going HDMI out to an external field monitor HDMI in and then converted to SDI and output to my Atomos Samurai.

So the shorter version of my question is... does the C100 do clip naming that's more unique than "Clip001, Clip002, etc" and/or does the Data Import Utility provide a place to rename clips as they are imported?

I'm trying to find a way to maybe keep my files from the SD card and from my Samurai with (hopefully) the same naming conventions and keep the timecode matching. As it is with the FS700, I can "rewrap" the .MTS files with Clipwrap (and keep the original timecode) and then do a batch rename with Adobe Bridge, but Premiere 6.0.2 (Mac) doesn't like that very much and I get very sluggish performance in tandem with very consistent media-offline warnings. I can take the native .MTS files and just do a batch rename, but then I lose my original timecode which makes having both the AVCHD and ProRes redundancy less than ideal because neither would match the other and you could never access or open the project with the ProRes if you started it with the AVCHD. Does Canon treat their on-card files differently that I might be able to actually create a consistent workflow? Working exclusively in ProRes isn't always possible (the size of my last project's media in nothing but ProRes would have been approximately 6TB - and I sometimes have several projects in progress at once.)
Cliff Stephenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2013, 04:29 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Question about Data Import Utility/Clip Naming

Alas the Canon C100 uses the same format as the FS100/700 - AVCHD, which has a rather restrictive naming regime to become compatible with BluRay players. XDCAM it *ain't*.

I've been playing two games: 1) Convert in ClipWrap, batch rename using ReNamer (Renamer - Rename many files at once on your Mac) which does some neat tricks and works for me - unlike ClipWrap all of a sudden. Hence game 2) Import willy-nilly into FCPX and do it all with KeyWords. Both are well shy of your Ninja/Samurai workflow.

It does seem that, at the moment, you'll have to find a 'bodge job' to marry up the rushes.
Old March 25th, 2013, 05:07 PM   #3
New Boot

Re: Question about Data Import Utility/Clip Naming

Thanks Matt.

That's... disappointing. Clip naming is something these companies are going to have to really address if they want these cameras to be taken seriously for any kind of professional or editorial step up from the DSLRs that (shockingly) occasionally get used. There was a movie I worked on last year (I only worked on the Blu-ray) with a $100M budget that had almost ALL of its EPK and interviews shot on a Canon 5D (internally only) in h.264... but at least the clip names were unique for editorial. With so many AVCHD cameras coming out "seemingly" targeting the professional market, there needs to be an OPTION to rename clips upon ingest. Therefore, keep the standard naming on capture to retain compatibility for AVCHD, but provide an out for a more professional workflow if needed.
Cliff Stephenson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems