C100 colorsampling 4:2:0 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
For all Canon Cinema EOS models: C700 / C300 Mk. II / C200 / C100 Mk II and EF / PL lenses.

Old April 8th, 2013, 11:49 PM   #1
Regular Crew

C100 colorsampling 4:2:0

Hi,

Because of the colorsampling of the C100 (4:2:0) I like to know if this is a big issue for your movies?

I know, you can use the Ninja2 but is again something which must be connected on your C100 and additional weight.

THX
Wil
Wil Vermeesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2013, 11:53 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: C100 colorsampling 4:2:0

Not usually.
Old April 9th, 2013, 02:53 AM   #3
Trustee

For 95% of the time, it's not a problem - I'm sure you'll hear many people say the same thing. It's such a joy to shoot with in its basic state, there has to be a very good reason to saddle it with an external recorder.

There are some shades of red that do seem a bit troublesome.

There's also 5DtoRGB which does a bit of chroma 'restoration' which can reduce some of the worst effects if your shot does end up with jaggies.

'Best practice' would recommend a Ninja or similar for chromakey, but for fairly straightforward well-lit corporate talking heads, I've found no difference in ease and quality of keying between the internal and external recordings as most chromakeyers (e.g. Motion/FCPX, Keylight in AE, etc) are 'hybrid' keyers, using the luminance channel to create an edge key and thus work round the low resolution chroma signal. However, if the job needed translucency, complex stuff like fly-away hair or surfaces that pick up lots of spill, I'd be using the extra strength of the 422 colour. Or even a different camera.

However, I have a slight concern over how the encoder treats high levels of motion in very detailed scenes (the usual suspects - including water, smoke, trees in wind, high gain noise). But then, I have a Pix 220, which doesn't play as nice with the C100 as the Ninja does, which may explain why my '95%' figure above isn't more like '90%'.
Old April 9th, 2013, 10:10 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Thank you for your feedback
Wil Vermeesch is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems