DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-cinema-eos-camera-systems/)
-   -   Canon requires Serial Number for XF download? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-cinema-eos-camera-systems/515721-canon-requires-serial-number-xf-download.html)

Thierry Humeau April 9th, 2013 07:36 PM

Canon requires Serial Number for XF download?

Hi all,

Canon's EOS software download page now requires a serial number to download the XF Utility. What gives?

Mark Watson April 10th, 2013 03:22 AM

Re: Canon requires Serial Number for XF download?

Canon must've heard you. Policy change later this month...

Canon U.S.A. : Support & Drivers : Consumer & Home Office

Thierry Humeau April 10th, 2013 11:46 AM

Thanks, that was weird....

Barry Goyette April 10th, 2013 12:13 PM

yeah, It was screwy when they changed it to require the SN. Problem for me was...when I went to look at my camera, the S/N on the bottom was all smudged (nice ink there, Canon) and it's pretty much unreadable. Who knows where the warranty card went. :-)

Mark Watson April 10th, 2013 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thierry Humeau (Post 1789890)
Thanks, that was weird....

Thierry,

Could you please post a request on Canon's site asking them to come out with a shoulder-mounted video camera that excels at low-light (i.e., FS100), has auto focus, a zoom rocker, XLR inputs, dual memory cards, 60P, slow-mo, interchangeable lens, 4:2:2, built-in ND filters and great ergonomics.

Hey, it's worth a try!!!

Thierry Humeau April 10th, 2013 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barry Goyette (Post 1789893)
yeah, It was screwy when they changed it to require the SN. Problem for me was...when I went to look at my camera, the S/N on the bottom was all smudged (nice ink there, Canon) and it's pretty much unreadable. Who knows where the warranty card went. :-)

It also doesn't help Canon if everyone in the production chain including clients have to go through hair pulling to find, download and install a basic viewer to look at C300 files...

Erik Naso April 11th, 2013 12:45 AM

That was strange. Post people need these tools as well. Oh Canon....

Jim Martin April 11th, 2013 06:59 PM

At our dealer meeting with Canon on Monday, they were happy to tell us that the XF utility was finally available with no strings attached. The reason they were telling us this was because I told them to do this at our meeting 2 years ago (for the XF cameras...if you lost the disc, you were up a creek). That was partially based on the complaints posted here on DVinfo. Canon moves at a somewhat "Glacial pace" and they know it and are working on getting faster.....and that is in all areas, now and in the future.

Jim Martin
Filmtools.com