C100 + Ninja 2 question - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
For all Canon Cinema EOS models: C700 / C300 Mk. II / C200 / C100 Mk II and EF / PL lenses.

Old June 12th, 2013, 08:40 AM   #46
Trustee

Re: C100 + Ninja 2 question

So now I have a Ninja-2 and it is acting flaky. As of right now, it appears to "drop frames" or "lose sync" or something. I am not sure. I hooked it up at home last night and started shooting footage around the house and it works most of the time but 4-5 times the image on the Ninja froze......the red bars disappeared and it became un-responsive for a few seconds. It eventually became responsive and worked again. There was a little "skippy" the kangaroo icon on the main screen also, indicating dropped frames.

Oops! As I was typing this, I had the camera on with the ninja hooked up next to me pointing into my room. The camera had recently stopped recording as I indicated. It was not recording anymore and I noticed the screen change out of the corner of my eye. The ninja was now frozen on a still frame. Mind you, the ninja was not completely locked up, but it appeared that it was no longer recording. I changed back to the main menu and there is the little kangaroo icon and the record and monitor buttons are greyed out because the Ninja2 lost it's 3:2 pulldown detection.

So....this would almost indicate a connection problem from the camera. I am currently using a low profile HDMI cable that is lighter weight do you think this could be an issue? I have a super heavy duty cable but it is so big it puts undue stress on the C100 hdmi port.

Gosh....this whole ninja thing is turning into problems and more problems. My Samurai has been rock solid since day 1......nothing remotely like this.

Any ideas at all?
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2013, 09:07 AM   #47
Trustee

well I left my camera and ninja on the main screen with the buttons. I manually synced up the 3:2 pulldown and let it sit while I went to get breakfast. I came back and the buttons were greyed out. Something happened while I was gone and the signal was interrupted and the Ninja lost the cadence. I never saw this with the Samurai.

So....I am trying a different HDMI cable and hoping that is the issue. I really hope my camera is not intermittently dropping output signal on the HDMI......and I hope it's not a defective Ninja2. Unfortunately, I sent the other Ninja2 back because the screen was so dark. I only used it for brief testing and only shot 5-6 shots in that added up to only a few minutes. I did not see this issue....but I didn't use it a lot either. Same HDMI cable too.

Will keep posted. That last thing I needed right now is to be testing equipment. Argh...
Old June 12th, 2013, 10:23 AM   #48
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Hudzik View Post
well I left my camera and ninja on the main screen with the buttons. I manually synced up the 3:2 pulldown and let it sit while I went to get breakfast. I came back and the buttons were greyed out. Something happened while I was gone and the signal was interrupted and the Ninja lost the cadence. I never saw this with the Samurai.

So....I am trying a different HDMI cable and hoping that is the issue. I really hope my camera is not intermittently dropping output signal on the HDMI......and I hope it's not a defective Ninja2. Unfortunately, I sent the other Ninja2 back because the screen was so dark. I only used it for brief testing and only shot 5-6 shots in that added up to only a few minutes. I did not see this issue....but I didn't use it a lot either. Same HDMI cable too.

Will keep posted. That last thing I needed right now is to be testing equipment. Argh...
That's a real pain! Tbh I haven't had a problem except for a faulty hdmi cable which caused the Ninja to stop recording. However, since replacing the cable I haven't had any issues.

It sounds like you need to run a process of elimination firstly replacing the cable and going from there.

It doesn't fill you with confidence for shoots when things like this happen. I'd carry SD cards and record to them also.

Btw what make and model of hard drive are you using?
Drew Curran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2013, 11:03 AM   #49
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Curran View Post
That's a real pain! Tbh I haven't had a problem except for a faulty hdmi cable which caused the Ninja to stop recording. However, since replacing the cable I haven't had any issues.

It sounds like you need to run a process of elimination firstly replacing the cable and going from there.

It doesn't fill you with confidence for shoots when things like this happen. I'd carry SD cards and record to them also.

Btw what make and model of hard drive are you using?
I'm sitting here editing and testing the camera with a different HDMI cable and no issues for about 90 minutes or so. So I am thinking it is the cable. I doubt it's the hard drive/SSD since the Ninja was freezing up even when not recording.

Just to answer your question, I am using a Kingston 240GB SSD that has worked for 4 hour long shoots with my Samurai and it was also working with RAW DNG footage with my BMCC when I had it. So...I highly doubt that is the issue.

Now....assuming I determine it is indeed the HDMI cable, can anyone recommend a good cable that doesn't have too heavy of a plug? The one I'm using is a great 3' cable but the ends are so huge they are putting strain on the HDMI port. I am certain that I will be bumping it a lot and I'm scared I'll break the port on the C100.

Gosh....I miss the security of SDI connection now! Though I like the cost of the Ninja with not SDI too.

What thin HDMI cable can I rely on?
Old June 12th, 2013, 12:12 PM   #50
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Hudzik View Post
I'm sitting here editing and testing the camera with a different HDMI cable and no issues for about 90 minutes or so. So I am thinking it is the cable. I doubt it's the hard drive/SSD since the Ninja was freezing up even when not recording.

Just to answer your question, I am using a Kingston 240GB SSD that has worked for 4 hour long shoots with my Samurai and it was also working with RAW DNG footage with my BMCC when I had it. So...I highly doubt that is the issue.

Now....assuming I determine it is indeed the HDMI cable, can anyone recommend a good cable that doesn't have too heavy of a plug? The one I'm using is a great 3' cable but the ends are so huge they are putting strain on the HDMI port. I am certain that I will be bumping it a lot and I'm scared I'll break the port on the C100.

Gosh....I miss the security of SDI connection now! Though I like the cost of the Ninja with not SDI too.

What thin HDMI cable can I rely on?
I'm using a Belkin right angle 2m cable, which is a little too long for normal use but is handy for when I'm using my slider when I mount the ninja on a tripod leg using a small magic arm. Zacuto make a shorter one with a compact right angle plug at one end that I might try. I have been reading a lot of people recommending the Apple hdmi cable which is very thin and light, however, its also 2m.
Old June 13th, 2013, 01:02 PM   #51
Regular Crew

Just received my Ninja 2 and have read the manual and looked at four videos. But I have a few questions and need for clarification.

1) The box came with no manual or warranty card. Is this correct? I did register online and downloaded the manual.

Obviously I have the C100

1)When Timecode is set on - Canon

Source - HDMI

Little icon telling it to record when camera trigger is pushed on main menu is not high lighted. When i trigger my camera to record, Ninja does not record. What's wrong? It records if I push the rec button on Ninja but I don't want that. Does something need to be changed in the C100 menu?

2) I want the best recording possible at 24 P on camera. According to the manual the input on Ninja should be set at 59.95? is that correct?

3) The camera has digital audio capabilities. When editing do I have to download my video clips from the Ninja and my SD card from camera to match audio and video together?

Thank you,

Bill
Bill Scherer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2013, 03:20 PM   #52
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Scherer View Post
Just received my Ninja 2 and have read the manual and looked at four videos. But I have a few questions and need for clarification.

1) The box came with no manual or warranty card. Is this correct? I did register online and downloaded the manual.

Obviously I have the C100

1)When Timecode is set on - Canon

Source - HDMI

Little icon telling it to record when camera trigger is pushed on main menu is not high lighted. When i trigger my camera to record, Ninja does not record. What's wrong? It records if I push the rec button on Ninja but I don't want that. Does something need to be changed in the C100 menu?

2) I want the best recording possible at 24 P on camera. According to the manual the input on Ninja should be set at 59.95? is that correct?

3) The camera has digital audio capabilities. When editing do I have to download my video clips from the Ninja and my SD card from camera to match audio and video together?

Thank you,

Bill
Bill
1. My ninja came with a QuickStart guide only. I also had to register online to get the warranty.

1a. Have you set the Hdmi record command to 'on' in the camera menus? Go in to menu > other functions > hdmi > rec command > on.

2. Sorry but I don't use 24p.

3. Audio is recorded with the image via the hdmi cable to the ninja 2 meaning no more syncing in post. :)

Hope this helps.
Old June 13th, 2013, 11:44 PM   #53
Regular Crew

Thanks Drew but that doesn't seem to work.
Bill Scherer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2013, 12:10 AM   #54
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Scherer View Post
Thanks Drew but that doesn't seem to work.
I'm assuming you mean the hdmi setting? You have to unplug the hdmi cable first otherwise the rec command option will be greyed out.

Watch this video from around 15 minutes for full instructions on setting up the C100 with the Ninja 2:

Drew.
Drew Curran is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems