C100 removal of PSF interlacing in post at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
For all Canon Cinema EOS models: C700 / C300 Mk. II / C200 / C100 Mk II and EF / PL lenses.

Old May 6th, 2013, 12:03 PM   #1
Trustee

C100 removal of PSF interlacing in post

Guys. I am still in my brief 3 day demo of the C100 but I am curious if there is an easy way to remove the padded frames of a 24psf output recorded on an original Atomos Ninja? The clips are 60i with the 24 embedded via pulldown. Is there a non destructive way to rebuild this into a true progressive clip?

I am aware that the Ninja 2 better handles this....but with an original Ninja at my disposal....I wanted to see if there is an easy way to take advantage of it.

Thanks.....and sorry if this is a dumb question. I just have another 24 hours to evaluate the camera and I am trying to cover all options.
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2013, 12:21 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: C100 removal of PSF interlacing in post

Surely when you put it on the timeline, the NLE should treat it as 24p. Then when you render out it will be whatever you have chosen.
Steve Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2013, 01:17 PM   #3
Trustee

I dunno! I haven't used any type of 3:2 pulldown material in years so that is why I am asking. I am aware that I can remove it via After Effects but isn't that destructive? Aren't some of the frames split across multiple fields, hence a need to decode/encode to get it to progressive....and a generation loss? I am wondering if the fill progressive frames are intact without have to be re-encoded. Or am I misunderstanding the PSF structure? Again...sorry if this is obvious and I am not seeing it.
Old May 6th, 2013, 01:46 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Sorry if this is a stupid question (just for my own information as I am just starting to use the c100 and Ninja2) but why not just record in 24P?
Mervin Langley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2013, 02:28 PM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mervin Langley View Post
Sorry if this is a stupid question (just for my own information as I am just starting to use the c100 and Ninja2) but why not just record in 24P?
I currently have the camera in 24P for internal recording. I was under the impression that the original Ninja wanted to record a 60i stream. If the Ninja1 can record true 24P "and" the C100 output true 24P with no "segmented frames" inserted to make 60i, then I will!

The user manual only references 60i and 50i as output types for the HDMI ports.....so I won't know until I try this tonight I guess.
Old May 6th, 2013, 06:24 PM   #6
Major Player

In premiere.

Right click footage (you can highlight all c100 clips)

> Modify > Interperet footage > set frame rate / progressive etc
James Strange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2013, 08:03 AM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Strange View Post
In premiere.

Right click footage (you can highlight all c100 clips)

> Modify > Interperet footage > set frame rate / progressive etc
I just tried this and it does "not" actually remove any type of pulldown. I can specify the field order or tell it to treat the file as progressive. When viewing the footage you can clearly still see the 3:3 pulldown cadence and every 3-4 frames is severely interlaced.

I am using Adobe Premiere CS 5.5.
Old May 7th, 2013, 08:08 AM   #8
Trustee

After doing a lot of reading and research I am 99% sure that the C100 will only output an interlaced signal....regardless of what mode you are internally recording to. So....if you have an external device that will "not" detect and remove the 3:2 pulldown on the fly, you end up with a file that needs to have this done in post.

I am looking for a quick reliable way to do this on a PC if possible. As my previous post indicated, Premiere Cs5.5 doesn't seem to know how to remove this internally.
Old May 7th, 2013, 09:07 AM   #9
Major Player

C100 camera has an another issue - red colors looks like an interlaced thing. I see the same issue on the G10's clips so it is really some Canon AVCHD issue.

My way of work with C100's AVCHD clips is convert them to XDCAM EX HQ codec (1920x1080, 35Mbps VBR). I work in Avid MC/Symphony 6.5 and I can make this conversion during import. I try different sort of codec but only this one solve the problem (sorry for my English).

This is my way of work with Canon's AVCHD, the result is ok (you can make the interpret footage change and it will be ok now).
Pavel Sedlak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2013, 10:05 AM   #10
Trustee

So I have access to an original Atomos Ninja and it does not support the automatic pulldown removal. If I were to use the original Ninja and have the C100 set to 24P, the HDMI feed would be just 60i with the 24P embedded via psf, correct. I could then remove it in post.....does that sound right?

My concern is that the link below says the Ninja doesn't support 24psf. But what confuses me is that isn't all of this just really 60i on the output? how does the ninja know the difference from 60i vs 30p embedded in 60i or 24p embedded in 60i?

J6 - When should I use 24p? - ATOMOS
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems