2 more C100 questions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
For all Canon Cinema EOS models: C700 / C300 Mk. II / C200 / C100 Mk II and EF / PL lenses.

Old May 7th, 2013, 02:25 PM   #1
Trustee

2 more C100 questions

1. How does anyone hookup an external recorder with the HDMI port practically sticking right out into the area you place your hand on the grip?I was experimenting and it seems precarious unless their are some special HDMI cables I don't know about.

2. What cases are you using that fit the entire camera assembled?? The extra mic clip is too tall for my cases and I need to keep that mounted most of the time as I frequently add a shotgun microphone.

Thanks.

Last edited by Marty Hudzik; May 8th, 2013 at 07:06 AM. Reason: fixed some typos to clarify the questions....
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2013, 06:46 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Re: 2 more C100 questions

Going handheld, eh? You need either a right-angle or a swiveling HDMI cable, Marty -- here are some options:

Amazon.com: Tera Grand - Premium HDMI A Male to A Female Swivel Adapter, 3D Rotation, Black Zinc Housing: Computers & Accessories (gaff-tape this one to an existing cable)

Amazon.com: 3M (9.84 Ft.) High Speed HDMI Cable with Ethernet, with Swivel HDMI A Male Connector on one end, Black Zinc Housings: Electronics (it's ten feet long, probably more than you need)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/860432-REG/Comprehensive_HD_HD_3EST_SW_Standard_Series_HDMI_High.html (three feet long and less than $12)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/758414-REG/Samsung_CY_SHC3010D_ZA_HDMI_Cable_v1_4.html (better swivel design in my opinion)

Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2013, 08:44 PM   #3
Trustee

All those HDMI cables look very fragile to me, especially the swiveling ones. From my experience, I'd recommend the following two options:

Apple HDMI Cable - Very thin and flexible with ultra low profile connectors. I wrap the excess cable between the camera and handgrip to take up the slack. You can find them cheaper: Apple HDMI Cable (5.9') MC838ZM/A B&H Photo Video

Or a Right Angle Cable like this one. This design is more 'low-profile' than the typical right angle cables as it is a molded design. Keep in mind most 90" molded cables found on ebay "turn" the wrong way. You want the cable to go to the right of the camera and not across the LCD: Aurum Ultra High Speed HDMI Cable 90 Degree Right Angle 3D 1080p CL3 1 5ft | eBay

Overall, I'd recommend the Apple cable 100%. It's a bit long, but the cable flexibility and low profile connectors do a great job keeping things compact.

I don't quite understand the wording of your second question, but if you're asking about how to fit a shotgun mic in the holder, simply loop the XLR cable through the mic holder in a "u" shape underneath the mic. It takes up some slack and supports the microphone in the holder.

Did you ever get the hyperdeck working?
Old May 7th, 2013, 09:52 PM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

Thanks Nate,

I don't want to second-guess Marty, but I think he's asking about a storage / transport case for the camera that accommodates a completely assembled build including a mic.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2013, 07:04 AM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
Thanks Nate,

I don't want to second-guess Marty, but I think he's asking about a storage / transport case for the camera that accommodates a completely assembled build including a mic.
That is what I meant Chris. I was in a huge hurry typing that before a meeting and might have made some typos that made the question confusing. I went back and tweaked the original post to clarify.

On a similar note, I am still using a demo unit from Canon to decide if this camera is a keeper or not, and I have to say the HDMI port on this unit is quite.....sloppy? In other word the HDMI cable is not very tight when I insert it. It feels like it could easily come out and wiggles a lot from left to right. I am assuming this is because this model has been used as a demo so many times....but can anyone verify if the HDMI port is usually more stable?
Old May 8th, 2013, 09:31 AM   #6
Trustee

Mine seems to be normal - it doesn't wiggle any more then any other HDMI port. Another thing might be the cable itself that is wiggling a bit. A longer plug will have more leverage to make things move.
Old June 13th, 2013, 09:17 AM   #7
Trustee

Hey Nate or anyone who can answer this: Have you actually had success with the Apple HDMI cable? I am thinking of driving up to my nearest apple store (45 minutes) to buy one for testing. I purchased a low profile cable that essentially looks just like that one from Best Buy (Rocket Fish brand) and it keeps dropping signal or something. The Ninja2 loses sync and keeps resetting. Using a more robust cable I do not have this issue, however the cable is huge and puts undue stress on the ports. I returned my cable to Best Buy and got another of the same (thinking it was a defect) but the Ninja immediately started having issues with the new low profile cable also. clearly something about this cable is not compatible with the c100 or NInja2.

So....basically, the apple cable looks identical....so I am nervous that it will have the same issues. It would be great to hear of people who are actually using this with success....particularly if using with the Ninja2.

Thanks.
Old June 13th, 2013, 03:46 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Hudzik View Post
That is what I meant Chris. I was in a huge hurry typing that before a meeting and might have made some typos that made the question confusing. I went back and tweaked the original post to clarify.

On a similar note, I am still using a demo unit from Canon to decide if this camera is a keeper or not, and I have to say the HDMI port on this unit is quite.....sloppy? In other word the HDMI cable is not very tight when I insert it. It feels like it could easily come out and wiggles a lot from left to right. I am assuming this is because this model has been used as a demo so many times....but can anyone verify if the HDMI port is usually more stable?
Get yourself one of these screw in hdmi cables. Not sure if there is a right angle one though.

Gefen, LLC - Copper Cables for High Speed HDMI - Mono•LOK
Drew Curran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2013, 01:58 AM   #9
Trustee

Apple cable works for my monitors just fine. I've been using one hard for the last two weeks on a travel docu. Even after being banged around getting in and out of the vehicle constantly, no issues. I buy them refurbished/open box off eBay for half the price.
Old June 14th, 2013, 06:39 AM   #10
Trustee

Thanks Nate. I may have to snag one today and test it.
Old June 14th, 2013, 02:51 PM   #11
Trustee

Got the apple cable and it works nice so far. However, one time I had the recording stop spontaneously on the Ninja while the camera kept going. I saw the little kangaroo logo on the main screen. I am simply pointing this at a wall and recording nonstop for testing purposes. I don't feel warm and fuzzy still. never had issues with my Samurai.
Old June 18th, 2013, 10:43 AM   #12
Trustee

so after a long few days of testing I have come to this conclusion.

The Apple Cable was connected and stopped recording 1 time and I saw "skippy" within the first 20 minutes.

I formatted the hard drive and wiped the SD cards clean and started again, this time on AC power for the camera and the Ninja.

I was able to fill a 240GB SSD in the Ninja with over 4.5 hours of footage without issue. In fact, my internal 64GB SD card filled up first! Nice! Could this possibly have to do with AC power? Coincidence?

Still, I am nervous since the 2 low profile cables from Best Buy always caused the link to drop and 1 time with the Apple cable whereas the full size HDMI cables have never actually dropped the link.

To clarify, it's not just the recording that stops, it appears the ninja loses signal because it's ability to detect the 3:2 pulldown cadence and remove it stops until I move the camera around for it to sync up again.

For now I am using a regular HDMI cable, but I'd love to use the Apple since it is so thin and easier to route through the camera areas to the Ninja.

Can anyone confirm that they are indeed using the Apple HDMI cable with the c100 and Ninja 2? I know Nate said his has been working well with his "monitors" but I am not sure if he has used it with the Ninja or not.

Thanks.
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems