DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-cinema-eos-camera-systems/)
-   -   C100: Audio info FYI (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-cinema-eos-camera-systems/516376-c100-audio-info-fyi.html)

Al Bergstein May 7th, 2013 02:39 PM

C100: Audio info FYI

Just tried the Rode Lavalier into the 3.5" jack. No dice. Didn't work. The Rode Videomic Pro worked fine, of course, with the power on. (G). Seems it needs power. Just a point of reference, the lav works fine with my 5Dmkiii. No power needed. So to use the lav it appears I would need to buy one of the xlr adapters they sell for it (or plug it into an adapter cable that is made for 3.5 to xlr) and keep the handle on the unit when using it.

Tomas Elefsiades May 8th, 2013 09:03 AM

Re: C100: Audio info FYI

All not sure if this is the same issue but on the XA10 if you plug into one of the XLR jacks the 1/8" becomes void. Which is stupid but it wouldn't be the first stupid thing Canon has done!

Al Bergstein May 8th, 2013 09:06 AM

I had the handle off at the point of trying the 3.5 mm jack. But thanks for the thought. There supposedly is an 'automatic' feature on the C100 that senses that a mic is plugged in. So I'm pretty sure that the lav is not able to be used directly without a power source driving it.

Tomas Elefsiades May 8th, 2013 10:10 AM

Good luck with it Al! When you get a chance can you show what settings you are using to get good low light on your XF305? I have a 300 I hate using at events that's why I grabbed the C100 but want the XF300 as a backup/wide

Darren Levine May 8th, 2013 10:14 AM

got your solution right here:

Mono to Stereo Microphone Plug in Power Battery Module | eBay

i have it, it works. the issue is that the c100 doesn't have excitation power in its 1/8 port like laptops do, so any passive mics that do not have their own power source will not work, unless you use one of those dongles. i searched a long time, that's the only one i think exists that's reasonably small

Allan Black May 8th, 2013 06:39 PM

There's the Rode MiCon 5 adaptor to XLR .. Rode MiCon 5 Connector for Rode MiCon Microphones (XLR) MICON-5

RODE Lavalier microphone - YouTube

Cheers.

Al Bergstein May 8th, 2013 11:00 PM

Thx Allan. I wanted to stick with 3.5 while handle was off. Thanks Darren! Think thats it.

Eric Coughlin June 11th, 2013 03:40 AM

I have a Countryman B6 with a 1/8" connection hardwired for audio recorder inputs (in other words, it doesn't work with wireless units; I've been using it with a Sony PCM-M10). I bought a 1/8" to XLR adapter (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/387850-REG/Rode_VXLR_VXLR_Mono_Mini_Jack.html) and plugged it into the XLR input of the C100. It didn't work. I tried it with Phantom Power on, and it still didn't work.

As per what Darren said, I assume it needs excitation power, which phantom power does not substitute for. What are my options? I basically would like to use the Countryman plugged into the C100 with a 25 ft XLR cable going off to the miced talent.

I don't mind having the handle on; I'd prefer it goes through than handle rather than the 1/8" jack so I can control audio via the dials, and I'd probably often have a shotgun plugged in the other XLR as well.

Is there a converter that will convert the phantom power to excitation power? Is that what that Rode MiCon Adapter does, and would that work with a Countryman mic? Or would I need an XLR to 1/8" converter, and plug Darren's Power module solution into that? Would the power from the power module travel over a 25 ft XLR cable?

Andrew Bove June 25th, 2013 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric Coughlin (Post 1799630)
I have a Countryman B6 with a 1/8" connection hardwired for audio recorder inputs (in other words, it doesn't work with wireless units; I've been using it with a Sony PCM-M10). I bought a 1/8" to XLR adapter (Rode VXLR - Mono Mini-Jack to XLR Converter VXLR B&H Photo Video) and plugged it into the XLR input of the C100. It didn't work. I tried it with Phantom Power on, and it still didn't work.

As per what Darren said, I assume it needs excitation power, which phantom power does not substitute for. What are my options? I basically would like to use the Countryman plugged into the C100 with a 25 ft XLR cable going off to the miced talent.

I don't mind having the handle on; I'd prefer it goes through than handle rather than the 1/8" jack so I can control audio via the dials, and I'd probably often have a shotgun plugged in the other XLR as well.

Is there a converter that will convert the phantom power to excitation power? Is that what that Rode MiCon Adapter does, and would that work with a Countryman mic? Or would I need an XLR to 1/8" converter, and plug Darren's Power module solution into that? Would the power from the power module travel over a 25 ft XLR cable?

You need a 48V to low voltage convertor to step down the voltage for electret condenser microphones. Then you plug into the XLR jack with 48V turned on.

I use this convertor with DPA lav mics wired for Sennheiser G3 packs, and it works fantastic. You just get the model that has the correct connector for the way your lavs are wired.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/327244-REG/Ambient_Recording_EMP35_P48_Electret_Converter_for.html
They are not cheap, but they work, and seem to be built tough. It's exactly what you need. I looked around, and at the time there were not many products on the market. I know both Rode and DPA sell them along with their mics sometimes.

Here are all the connectors the Ambient ones can come with:
electret ambient| B&H Photo Video