DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-cinema-eos-camera-systems/)
-   -   C100 and 5DIII matching (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-cinema-eos-camera-systems/516641-c100-5diii-matching.html)

Kathy Smith May 19th, 2013 09:14 AM

C100 and 5DIII matching

Is Cinestyle profile still the best one to use on the 5DIII in order to match C100? I am shooting on Wide DR on the C100

Oleg Kalyan May 23rd, 2013 05:22 AM

Re: C100 and 5DIII matching

from my experience 5dmk3 does not match C100, unless you shoot raw with ML software, then they are quite compatible.

Matt Davis May 23rd, 2013 07:21 AM

Yes, there's something a bit 'diabolical' about the 5d's video image (says he, in his best 'Name of the Rose' impression).

The way the dark end of the picture 'falls off a cliff', the way that skin tones seem smoothed and compressed.

I'd look at trying to match the C100 to the 5d's picture rather than the other way round. You can take detail out of a picture, but you can't put it in.

And as a point of order, 'flat' profiles are best served in high contrast lighting situations - under controlled circumstances or overcast days, you may find a gentler profile will give you plenty to work on. Otherwise you're just pulling four stops of latitude out to 8 and suffering the consequences.

Kathy Smith May 25th, 2013 05:11 AM

I just want them to match in terms of color and contrast, not detail. I don't care if it is C100 matching 5D or 5D matching C100. Either way will work for me. I just don't want them to look way off when going from one camera angle to another.

Evan C. King July 30th, 2013 02:09 PM

The C100's EOS Standard setting is made to get them close. Apply that and tweak from there.

Matt Davis August 3rd, 2013 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kathy Smith (Post 1797262)
I just want them to match in terms of color and contrast, not detail. I don't care if it is C100 matching 5D or 5D matching C100. Either way will work for me.

Hmm. Okay. I have to reiterate - the matching is best done in post.

Are you doing post?

If so, get the best picture out of the 5D (e.g. Technicolor or Flaat), grade it to a respectable image, and then grade the WDR C100 into that so they sort of match - the C100 has more wriggle room than the 5D. Then you can apply looks.

The 5D 'digital negative' needs the most molly-coddling and fluffing. The C100's codec is a bit brittle but less so than the 5D. If we find out what the 5D can do, you can match that (jiggles around and pounds table) you can match that... in post.

If you're on a shoot where you need both cameras shooting Run & Gun, and you're editing them together without time for grading or even primary stuff, then yes - find a 5D look you like (probably the Philip Bloom standard settings plus a bit more sharpening) and make a copy of the EOS standard profile from the C100, change the gamma to a sort of Cine 3 and up the Detail to around -2 to +2 (according to taste).

The standard EOS settings are WAY TOO CONTRASTY for quality video shooting. They use gammas set 20+ years ago. Just sayin'.

Tim Polster August 5th, 2013 07:25 AM

If you are serious, you can create a custom picture profile on the 5D using the free software provided by Canon.

Shoot a color chart or a lot of different colored objects in a scene with both cameras in the same, controlled light.

Use the sfotware to tweak the colors to match the C100. Then load that profile and shoot with it on the 5D.

It is not easy or perfect, but it is better than nothing and will give you a head start in post.