Zacuto C100 Z-finder almost available at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems

Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
For all Canon Cinema EOS models: C700 / C300 Mk. II / C200 / C100 Mk II and EF / PL lenses.

Old May 29th, 2013, 08:41 PM   #1
Trustee

Zacuto C100 Z-finder almost available

I was able to order this on their website. It was difficult to find but eventually I tracked it down. I called and was told that it was on the website but would not be shipping for about 7 more days. So....if you have been waiting you might want to head over and order it. I sure hope it's decent! I loved my z finder for my 7D.
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2013, 01:23 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Zacuto C100 Z-finder almost available

On the other forum someone posted this video:
This rubber band setup doesn't look very solid unfortunately...
Christian Schmitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2013, 06:19 AM   #3
Trustee

Well....I wasn't really aware of that rubber band contraption but I do think that the majority of the time I would be using it in the straight on position anyway.....similar to the way I used the Zfinder on the 7D. My main concern would be making sure not to weaken the joints on the LCD hinges. We'll see.
Old May 30th, 2013, 06:31 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Also, make sure you never get it directly in-line with any sunlight with the Z-finder on (but not being viewed through) or you'll probably melt the LCD in seconds!

Been waiting for this so long I'm now at the point where I think I'll just soldier on without it/only buy it if I REALLY need it! After all, we've not been blessed with bright, sunny and hot weather here in the UK for anything more than a few days this year, so far anyway!
Old May 30th, 2013, 04:15 PM   #5
"I saw 'em" -- Hiwayne Suggs

I tried out a prototype of the c100 Z-finder at their booth at this year's NAB.

It provides a really brilliant image and I think it will be a huge asset. I shoot with the c100 all the time and I think I'd wind up using this a great deal. I wind up punching in on the image quite a bit to check focus and I think the Z-finder will reduce the need for that. Besides, on a long take that requires that you pull focus on the fly, you really can't blow up the image without potentially messing up the shot.

The device does use what Zacuto calls Z-bands, but the design is very clever. The bands have a ball on the end that slide into a socket. Very elegant. It only takes a few moments to slide the viewfinder on and connect the bands.

The only downside is that the bands, which you must use to support the weight of the device, are not included in the purchase price.
Old May 30th, 2013, 06:08 PM   #6
Trustee

I just got tracking info and I bought this based on the video with the bands. Nowhere did I see any mention that the bands aren't included. This will be a serious blunder on their part if this is true. I hope not. I'll call them tomorrow.
Old May 30th, 2013, 08:40 PM   #7
Trustee

Just found the specs on Zacuto's site and I am glad to say you are mistaken Steve. Copied and pasted below:

"The C100 Z-Finder Pro Includes:
Z-Finder Pro eyepiece/loupe with 1.8x magnification and diopter
C100 Z-Finder Mount
C100 Z-Finder Pro Z-Bands
Three (3) Extender Frames
Lanyard and Lanyard Hook
Lens Cap, Sun Mask, and protective boot
Z-Finder Dust Cover
One installed and one additional Anti-Fog disc. This also acts as a lens protector and is expendable. More can be purchased here. We also have anti-fog wipes."

And here is the direct link for good measure.

C100 Z-Finder Pro: Zacuto Filmmaking Accessories

Thanks everyone. Mine is on it's way but I don't think I'll be seeing it until Monday or Tuesday.

To be clear I wasn't being derogatory to Steve when I said he was mistaken. I was just saying that I am glad that he was mistaken since the bands are indeed included. Just want to be clear. :)

Last edited by Marty Hudzik; May 30th, 2013 at 09:13 PM.
Old May 31st, 2013, 08:30 AM   #8
Major Player

I'm on board for getting one. I use my zFinder on my 5D all the time. I was shooting in bright sunlight on my C100 on a job the other day, and ended up looking like a civil war photographer with my coat over my head and camera so I could accurately see the screen to focus. Sort of absurd that Canon can't put an LCd like the xf300 on this high priced AVCHD camera (though I love the rest of the ergonomics).
Al Bergstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2013, 10:15 AM   #9
New Boot

I ordered it on Wednesday and it shipped on Thursday the site said shipping in 7 days. Had I known they were going to be shipping out that quickly I would have paid for expedited shipping so I could have had it for this weekend!

Tomas Elefsiades
Rhode Island Video Production, Design and DVD Transfers RI - Home
Tomas Elefsiades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2013, 02:20 PM   #10
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas Elefsiades View Post
I ordered it on Wednesday and it shipped on Thursday the site said shipping in 7 days. Had I known they were going to be shipping out that quickly I would have paid for expedited shipping so I could have had it for this weekend!

Tomas Elefsiades
Rhode Island Video Production, Design and DVD Transfers RI - Home
Ditto. Wednesday for me too! I was going to post the same exact thing earlier. Now I have to see it sitting in the local UPS distribution center about 75miles from me all weekend. Oh well!
Old May 31st, 2013, 03:37 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Guys, please report back when you got your Finders and had a chance to test them - thanks!
Christian Schmitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2013, 07:07 AM   #12
Trustee

Out for delivery. I should have one of these in my grubby little hands before noon. Just in time! I took my camera with me for personal reason yesterday when I picked up my daughter from a weekend camp. I was really looking forward to using it for some personal home video stuff since the camera is small and easy to take anywhere, unlike my previous cameras.

However, even though I have had good luck with the EVF so far (didn't love it by it was okay) , yesterday it gave me fits. Just had a hard time seeing clearly, the diopter was adjusted and all but just didn't feel or look right. The LCD screen is nice but my eyes have a hard time focusing on screen so close and I didn't have my readers. It was a tough shoot. Overall, the first time the camera actually gave me a less than stellar experience. So it was a little let down.

So I am looking forward to getting this to re-invigorate my passion! Will update when I have it and used it....although I will likely start with some quick first impressions.
Old June 3rd, 2013, 07:09 AM   #13
Inner Circle

We look forward to your reports!
Old June 3rd, 2013, 01:05 PM   #14
Trustee

Just got it and have not had more than 5 minutes to attach it and see what it's like. The image inside the Zfinder looks great at first glance. It is heavier than I expected....and the big problem is my initial impression of the band is that they are too weak. They barely hold the Zfinder up at all and it falls all the time with the tiniest movement or jostle of the camera. Putting your eye on it in any position other than flat seems useless. Again....this is my first quick impression and I hope that I am doing something wrong but I doubt it.

For me....I am used to a fixed zfinder on a 7D so I wasn't really expecting it to be able to be positioned. But this just seems plain weak since they advertised it as working.

Ok....before I submitted I tried one last time and does seem to stay in the 90 degree position a lot better than any other. So I'd say it's mildly successful as a 2 position device but any perfectly horizontal and perfectly vertical. Anywhere in between and it just seems to fall closed.

Will update later.
Old June 3rd, 2013, 01:30 PM   #15
Trustee

Update: I just tried the c100 zfinder without any bands and it behaves the same. Stays in the horizontal and vertical position without the bands. Apparently there is more friction in the hinge when all the way up that supports the weight. Now....the bands aren't actually holding it when in this position.

At this point I'd say all the bands are good for at to keep it from crashing closed.....it slows it down a bit. Knowing that they hardly do anything makes me think that the bands are just going to get in the way now.

Again....I will try to keep you updated if this opinion changes any.

Thanks.
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems