C100: Clip duration? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
For all Canon Cinema EOS models: C700 / C300 Mk. II / C200 / C100 Mk II and EF / PL lenses.

Old June 11th, 2013, 01:47 PM   #1
Major Player

C100: Clip duration?

How do I set the timecode to display the clip duration of the current recording instead of the total value of all the recordings? I need to know how long each clip is between every stop/record.
Nicholas de Kock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2013, 03:08 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: C100: Clip duration?

Barring any strokes of genius or unknown software updates, my only solution is to add a separate recorder that offers this (Pix220 in my case, Atomos Ninja will, I'm sure, do the same).

I believe the C300 can do this, but the C100 does not. The EX1 and the Z1 did this, the FS100 and FS700 does not.

I'm wondering if there's something about AVCHD which means this is very difficult to do.

We should continue lobbying for it, though. :-)
Old June 11th, 2013, 04:03 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Matt I was afraid that was the case. Coming from the EX1 & DSLRs, not having a clip duration timer is simply stupid. What am I going to do with continues timecode? PluralEyes do my multicam sync work. I have a personal 20 sec rule when filming that all my clips must be atleast 20 sec long to safely make a good cut in my edit. At this price this should have been standard.

How would one lobby this?
Nicholas de Kock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2013, 04:27 PM   #4
Trustee

I guess, every time we meet a Canon Broadcast Video dude, we all give them the verbal nudge. "What's with the missing Shot Duration?"

FWIW, I've been using Time Of Day Code (IOW, free-run TC based on whatever the time is) to give a sporting chance in the edit, but yes - it sucks and we have to do silly maths instead of concentrating on what we should be doing. I also use the smart-phone's stopwatch a lot.
Old June 20th, 2013, 05:43 AM   #5
Regular Crew

There will be a (the first?) FW update later this year for the C100. Maybe we should start a "C100 Firmware Update: Feature Request" threat here and on the other forums...?
Christian Schmitt is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems