C100 with telephoto lenses for wildlife at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems

Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
For all Canon Cinema EOS models: C700 / C300 Mk. II / C200 / C100 Mk II and EF / PL lenses.

Old June 14th, 2013, 05:57 AM   #1
Major Player

C100 with telephoto lenses for wildlife

Hi all,
Haven't done any video work for the last three years.
I am going to buy the Canon C100 in a few weeks.
I am hoping to use my Canon 800mm f5.6 L IS, the Canon 300mm f2.8 L IS, Canon 100-400 f5.6 on the C100 for wildlife work.
I am assuming these lenses will work perfectly well on the C100 including autofocus and alservo.

Does anyone have any experience with such long lenses on the C100 or direct me to where I can find some info?

Will I get vignetting with any of these lenses?

Thanks,
Ofer
Ofer Levy - Bird Photography
Ofer Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2013, 01:28 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: C100 with telephoto lenses for wildlife

Ofer,
The lenses will work well with the C100. The only autofocus you will get is the one shot AF to acquire focus by pushing one button. After that you need to do your own focusing. So you have to be ready for focusing completely manually. Canon had promised during the launch of C100 that they will do a firmware update of C100 to enable autofocus with STM lenses. However, that is yet to happen. Even if it happens, one has to be sure that the technology is good enough for professional levels. Else manual focusing will continue.

I use a C300 with Canon lineup of lenes and it works really great. You can see an example in my signature. The sensor is C100/C300/C500 is S35 sized means you get approx similar sized sensor as 7D with the crop factor/field of view increasing by around 1.5

You won't get any vignetting.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi
Old June 15th, 2013, 12:34 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Re: C100 with telephoto lenses for wildlife

The 100-400 works very nicely on the C100 for wildlife. This was my first attempt:
Owen Kilgour is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems