DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-cinema-eos-camera-systems/)
-   -   C100/300/500 Weather Proofing (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-cinema-eos-camera-systems/517238-c100-300-500-weather-proofing.html)

Bernard Lau June 17th, 2013 03:54 AM

C100/300/500 Weather Proofing

So it seems like a lot of us are thinking of jumping onto the C100, including myself. Though, we don't get the rebate in Aus :-(

But here's my question:
How does the Cinema cameras handle in wet weather?
Read a review by Scot McDonald at Canon C100: Likes & Dislikes - The Location Crew
And he's concerned about it.
I'm a run and gunner and if the shot calls for it, I'd be out in the rain to get that one shot.

Any of the Cinema owners had experience in the rain?

Cheers,
B.

Eric Coughlin June 17th, 2013 11:57 AM

Re: C100/300/500 Weather Proofing

My C100 got rained on a fair bit during a shoot. Dried it off. No problems. I don't know just how water resistant the camera is. I do wonder where those fan exhaust holes lead to; I felt like those were what I most wanted to keep water from getting into.

Bernard Lau June 18th, 2013 05:59 AM

Thanks Eric!
Coming from a 7D and 5D2, which is pretty tough in sandy or wet conditions, all the holes around the Cinema cameras give me a bit a worry.
Though, seeing all the awesome footage of other shooters in extreme conditions, should make me a bit comfortable, right?

Al Bergstein June 18th, 2013 06:41 AM

I would recommend buying a protective hood. Lots to choose from at B&h and elsewhere.i did. I use my 7d when i have to shoot in the rain.

Nicholas de Kock June 18th, 2013 02:41 PM

Bernard don't think about it just buy the C100 if you can afford it. I've had mine for a week now & the quality out of this camera is insane. No regrets, worth every cent.

Matt Davis June 21st, 2013 12:03 PM

Rain-proofing seems to be a hang-over from the Pro Photo camp. I'm treating my C100 like my EX1s.

I still often shoot with EX1s. Had to walk from hotel to shoot venue in the rain - 10 mins. Had a rain jacket over the bag, but hey - heavy rain.

EX1 freaked out. Seriously freaked out. I was very worried.

90 mins in a heavily air conditioned room plus a hair dryer fixed it. But even so...

Video cameras per se don't mix well with rain. They're not Pro DSLRs. After all, it's what gaffer tape and plastic carrier bags are for. :)

Sabyasachi Patra June 23rd, 2013 01:20 AM

I agree that Rain proofing is common in pro photo cameras. My 1D Mark IV never complained when I was filming in heavy rain. With my C300, I am cautious. However, in the recent shoot in Uttrakhand hills in India, it was raining and landslides started infront of me. So I got out and filmed in rain. It worked fine. May be more exposure would have been bad. Fortunately, I new that the landslides are going to be too bad and came down from the hills a day before all the bridges and roads got washed away.

I think we can easily wrap the camera in a polythene carry bag and shoot in rain.

Andrew Bove June 25th, 2013 08:41 PM

We used a C100 in the rain a few weeks ago, and it worked fine. Used an umbrella and a car to shelter the camera, although there was quite a bit of water everywhere. Here's a video with some shots of the wet camera. (Go to 35 seconds for the wet stuff) We didn't shoot for too long in the rain.

If you're interested in the resulting music video, it is on the same Youtube channel.

Bernard Lau June 29th, 2013 09:08 PM

Thanks for the share Andy, that was quite a rainy day and the BTS is hilarious! So I'm guessing the C100 didn't die in the rain? Lol, I drive a black Fiat 500 myself, was that a rental? Checked out the music vid, woah, Toni seriously must've been freezing!

Hhmmm, Matt and Sabyasachi are right... weather proofing is from the DSLR world, I gotta treat it like the old video cameras I used to use before the revolution.

PS. I did end up getting the Canon C100, and after a discount and conversion, it ended up cheaper than getting it from the States (not that I can ship it to Aus anyway...).

It's raining outside right now, maybe I'll go out with the cam for a run? ;-)

Drew Curran June 30th, 2013 01:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Bove (Post 1801968)
We used a C100 in the rain a few weeks ago, and it worked fine. Used an umbrella and a car to shelter the camera, although there was quite a bit of water everywhere. Here's a video with some shots of the wet camera. (Go to 35 seconds for the wet stuff) We didn't shoot for too long in the rain.

If you're interested in the resulting music video, it is on the same Youtube channel.

Behind the Scenes - The Making of "Beau Soir" - Toni Dolce - YouTube

Good job Andrew. That was very well filmed and you used the architectural features beautifully. You must have been looking over your shoulder constantly!!

Eric C. Petrie July 3rd, 2013 06:10 PM

Canon officially qualifies the C300 as weather sealed. The C100 is not. If you look at diagrams the C300 has rubber gaskets on all buttons and openings, similar to pro DSLRs. However a C100 and a rain slick is still cheaper then a C300.