How to rescue C300 files? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
For all Canon Cinema EOS models: C700 / C300 Mk. II / C200 / C100 Mk II and EF / PL lenses.

Old June 19th, 2013, 02:57 AM   #1
Major Player

How to rescue C300 files?

There is an unfortunate mistake a SOS situation. How to rescue the C300 footage?

Files were not downloaded properly. The CF card was connected to the laptop and only the clips which are saved as individual folders have been copied to another folder in the laptop. Normally the folder structure looks like this.

20130618211007/CONTENTS/CLIPS001/AA0488, AA0489 etc

Only the folders AA0488, AA0489 etc which are the individual clips have been copied. I am wondering how to read those clips.

Any idea what to do?
Old June 19th, 2013, 08:22 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: How to rescue C300 files?

This is a wild guess, but worth a try..
1. Count how many clips you have stored improperly. Lets say you have 100.
2. Get the C300 and start and stop it 100 times on a new card.
3. Copy the entire card structure to your laptop.
4. Replace the sub folders with your footage.

I'm curious to know if this would work!
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2013, 12:40 PM   #3
Trustee

I would just throw all the folders in to the Clips 001 folder inside a Contents folder from an empty formatted card and see if that works. Also keep the Canon XF folder which the Contents folder resides in. You may also be able to just name the outside folders which are all in Caps. Good luck
Daniel Epstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2013, 03:52 PM   #4
Wrangler

Your NLE may be able to open the files without the folder structure. Prelude and Premiere both will open individual Canon MXF files as-is. I don't know which other NLEs do or don't.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2013, 01:08 AM   #5
Major Player

I tried copying the folders into the CLIPS 001 folder but nothing works. I then copied those to one card and tried to see if I can view those files in the C300 and I can't.

I use FCP X and it doesn't recognise the folders. Hopefully I can find a solution soon.
Old June 23rd, 2013, 07:45 AM   #6
Wrangler

I'm not aware of any software that can reconstruct the CONTENTS folder/file structure without the original pointer and database files like CIF, SIF, XML and the index file. If anyone knows of one, please post.

Just a quick look around the web finds that there are a few utilities to convert MXF to other file formats like MOV or AVI but I have never tried them and can't vouch for them. Creative Cloud has a 30 day free trial that you could download to use Prelude or Premiere. They will not be able to reconstruct the CONTENTS folder structure, but they will convert from the MXF file to MOV or many other formats. I'm sure you would be able to convert to something that FCP can work with. Costs nothing to try.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems