"Shimmering" on HDTV at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
For all Canon Cinema EOS models: C700 / C300 Mk. II / C200 / C100 Mk II and EF / PL lenses.

Old June 26th, 2013, 07:28 PM   #1
Regular Crew

"Shimmering" on HDTV

Just checking the new C100 out, hooked up to my 720 HDTV, and notice the same anomaly I had with the XF300. Even with sharpness turned all the way down, and detail pretty minimum on the TV, there's a shimmering effect around some straight lines, and with foliage it's completely crazy looking,

Set to 24p.

Did same test with a pal's C100, and same results.

Have used other cameras, such as FS100, and have not had that problem.

Any ideas what might be going on?

THanks
Old June 26th, 2013, 10:06 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: "Shimmering" on HDTV

It's 60i out of the HDMI unless your TV can remove 3:2 pulldown for 24p, or 2:2 pulldown for 30p.
Gary Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2013, 02:55 AM   #3
Major Player

Must be your TV, we filmed a music video the other day using a 32" 720P HDTV as a directors monitor & it looked great.
Nicholas de Kock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2013, 12:10 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Herre's what I've figured.

There's a different way the C100 HDMI output seems to dance when directly hooked to the TV.

Once material is ingested, and then played back properly encased in 1080i signal via Matrox, all look well.

But directly from camera to TV via HDMI, 24p and 1080i battle each other.
Old June 28th, 2013, 03:59 AM   #5
Regular Crew

in tv setings..lowers the sharpness setting
Docea Marius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2013, 01:12 PM   #6
Trustee

Well I dunno if this plays into it but the HDMI out is PSF over 60i all the time. I would doubt that this causes the shimmering but it is worth noting. After ingesting properly it is likely a true 24P 1080 signal and that is easier for the TV to resolve without issues.....perhaps?
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2013, 05:17 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Hudzik View Post
Well I dunno if this plays into it but the HDMI out is PSF over 60i all the time.
That's exactly the issue. Some HDTVs have a native 24p mode, so if you enable that, it should remove the 3:2 pulldown and display the 24p properly.

Quote:
After ingesting properly it is likely a true 24P 1080 signal and that is easier for the TV to resolve without issues.....perhaps?
If you select 24p as your recording mode (not 24PsF), then AVCHD at 23.976 will be the format on your card. If you use an external recorder, a Ninja-2, Odyssey 7, or Pix 240i will remove the pulldown for you so that you get native 24p ProRes. If you use the Hyperdeck Shuttle 2, it will not remove pulldown, so you'd have a 60i ProRes with 24p embedded with 3:2 pulldown that you have to use After Effects, Cinema Tools, or AVISynth to deal with.
Gary Huff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems