Canon C100 - Picture profile samples at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems

Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
For all Canon Cinema EOS models: C700 / C300 Mk. II / C200 / C100 Mk II and EF / PL lenses.

Old July 10th, 2013, 05:50 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Canon C100 - Picture profile samples

Just a sample comparison of some of the picture profiles available on the Canon C100 that helped me decide on a profile to use for a shoot, hope it helps you. ( I prefer the Wide DR if that helps )
Location was Village Gate, Rochester, NY
Some indoor shots, some outdoor shots, some low light shots.
Lens used Sigma 30mm, ISO ranged from 850-1600
No color correction - ungraded
Profiles used ( and they are labeled in the clip )
1. EOSNeutral
2. 709Log ( with just a touch more black ped )
3. cineLOG
4. WeedLOG
5. EOS Std
6. Wide DR
7. Cinema

Dan McGuckin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2013, 09:22 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Canon C100 - Picture profile samples

Thanks for this. Personally I like the look of cineLOG.
Nicholas de Kock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2013, 05:48 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks.
Nice of you to make the effort.
Old July 12th, 2013, 08:00 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Great work Dan! Is there a place we can download the picture profiles you have tested.

I would like to have EOSNeutral. If there is no download can you give me the settings so I can dial it in?
Jeffrey Fuchs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2013, 08:34 PM   #5
Trustee

Thanks for putting this up. Very helpful to compare them all in a handful of settings.

I've been getting excellent every-day results with cineLOG but I'm thinking of taking another look at WideDR for when I'm shooting exclusively to AVCHD.

Also, I've been exposing my Cinema preset about a stop or two higher than you're "supposed to" and the results look excellent to me. Less noise in the darks - just watch those highlights!

Here's a thread with the EOSNeutral settings: http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-ci...ml#post1793055
Old July 16th, 2013, 10:45 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I did a quick video to compare the more popular picture profiles. The camera was not changed in any way, I just changed the picture profiles so you could get a direct comparison.
See: "https://vimeo.com/70417899"

Jeffrey Fuchs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2013, 03:56 PM   #7
New Boot

Thanks Dan Very useful to see. I think I may start using Neutral picture profile for minimal grading. I found that if you copy the eos profile and unlock it and turn on knee that you get a result half way between eos and wide dynamic which is quiet useful for those of use not needing to grade too much.

Brisbanes favorite wedding videography studio. GoldCoast & Sunshine Coast.
Scott W. Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2013, 06:04 PM   #8
New Boot

Hey Dan, Is the EOS Neutral you used C1? Or is this a custom setting you found somewhere?

Brisbanes favorite wedding videography studio. GoldCoast & Sunshine Coast.
Scott W. Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2013, 09:13 PM   #9
Major Player

Dan, I've found that the WideDR is really useful when shooting in bright sunlight and looking to go as far as possible on latitude without the work of the Cinema profile. It really softens down the highlights and allows me to bring up the shadows. I also work closely with the scopes, so I don't blow out the highlights, and I agree with Nate, that doing that I can actually go 'hot' and apparently overexpose (which is needed when backlighting a face in sunlight for example), and yet still retain a wide latitude of shadow and highlight detail without fussing with the profiles. I have gone to starting with WideDR on any bright day interview, and have stopped being worried about getting the range I want. Using a Lightpanels for fill on these shoots also is great for popping the midtones. Careful attention to white balance (I use a warmcard), also helps.

For many of your setups you show here, I would likely start with the EOS Standard, to get more contrast out of the scene, especially if I didn't have fill light, which I assume you didn't have.
Al Bergstein is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems