C100 z finder at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems

Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
For all Canon Cinema EOS models: C700 / C300 Mk. II / C200 / C100 Mk II and EF / PL lenses.

Old July 15th, 2013, 08:33 AM   #1
Major Player

C100 z finder

Any others got the c100 z finder?

What are your thoughts?

I know that one person had one and gave initial opinions in an earlier thread, just wondering if there are any more early adopters?
Old July 23rd, 2013, 04:39 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: C100 z finder

I also just saw this on their website

"The C100 Z-Finder Pro is designed for use with the standard battery included with the Canon C100 camera. (Canon - BP-955 Lithium-Ion Battery Pack-5200mAh) There may not be clearance for larger batteries. "

Can anyone confirm ?

Cheers

J
Old July 24th, 2013, 09:05 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Strange View Post
I also just saw this on their website

"The C100 Z-Finder Pro is designed for use with the standard battery included with the Canon C100 camera. (Canon - BP-955 Lithium-Ion Battery Pack-5200mAh) There may not be clearance for larger batteries. "

Can anyone confirm ?

Cheers

J
Here is a good review by The Location Crew:
Zacuto Z-Finder for the Canon C100: Deep Thoughts! - The Location Crew
Drew Curran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2013, 01:38 PM   #4
"I saw 'em" -- Hiwayne Suggs

I've been using the C100 Z finder for over a month.

I tend to shoot primarily on a tripod, and I find that it's great for that. I was recently out in the blazing sun for two and a half hours shooting long lens doc material, and the z finder absolutely saved me.

I do find that, even with the elastic support bands it doesn't hold an angle that well.

Shooting hand-held, the flip out LCD works fine inside. Outside I find hand-held shots with the Z finder work best holding the camera low and tilting the finder to almost 90 degrees. The rig is a bit easier to hold that way and it seems more stable, balance-wise.

I think, because of Canon's built in EVF choice, that you probably want one of these things in your kit for the set ups that work for it.

(For me, the tiny built-in EVF actually usable, and many times I'll just punch in on the image in the EVF and double check focus.)

However you deal with the viewfinder issue, the camera itself makes those accommodations
worth it. The camera is a pleasure to use and I love the results.
Old July 25th, 2013, 08:02 PM   #5
Tourist

Yes, it does not quite work with the higher capacity BP-975 battery. The bottom of the Z-finder frame hits the edge of the battery and the result is the eyepiece will be tilted up even further in the down position.

Otherwise, I agree with everything in Scot & Steve's reviews. Optically it's nice and sharp across the entire frame. Comes in very handy for tripod shooting and somewhat for handheld. Although Zacuto's implementation of the anti-fog disk, sun mask and cap leaves more to be desired. On my unit I needed to remove the anti-fog disk to get the cap to stay on securely.

I'm keeping mine. The pros outweigh the cons and it's nice to have it in my kit.
John Yasunaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2013, 12:34 AM   #6
Major Player

just spent a day shooting with mine, and I love it. Have used the z-Finder on my 7D and 5Dmkiii and would not consider shooting video without it. This is very well made, given the ergonomics of the camera. One thing worth noting is that the unit slides onto the viewfinder, very well connected to it. If you can afford this camera you can afford the z-finder, regardless of whether you shoot on a tripod or not. But I do most of my work on either tripod or monopod.
Al Bergstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2013, 05:27 PM   #7
Major Player

Thanks for the responses guys.

Thats a bummer about the batteries, so are people just using the smaller batteries then?
Old July 27th, 2013, 07:36 PM   #8
Tourist

I got an extra BP-955. Two of these get me through an entire day with juice to spare.
John Yasunaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2013, 11:54 AM   #9
Regular Crew

I'm using the z finder and it has value however I am concerned about damaging the hinge on the LCD screen. Perhaps I am being over careful. Also, it is not easy to use handheld, perhaps I need more practice. I never use the little cables.
Mervin Langley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2013, 02:14 PM   #10
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mervin Langley View Post
I'm using the z finder and it has value however I am concerned about damaging the hinge on the LCD screen. Perhaps I am being over careful. Also, it is not easy to use handheld, perhaps I need more practice. I never use the little cables.
It definitely is more difficult to handhold this when you first get it. The C100 seems to be setup pretty good for pressing the EVF (as bad as it is) to you eye and having your arms in a good position to hold the camera steady and not get tired quickly. The Zacuto seems to push the arms forward into what I consider to be a more awkward position to hold the camera steady for longer periods of time. This is exaggerated by the hand grip not being in a traditional ENG position so the wrist is a little torqued. I have tried adjusting the handgrip into the horizontal position but it really doesn't feel natural like with larger should camera designs.

I do see the value in pressing the eye against the zacuto and getting a 3rd point of contact, but it just doesn't feel quite as comfortable as the zfinder on my 7D did.
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2013, 07:44 AM   #11
Regular Crew

I use a Zacuto eyecup on the EVF to add comfort and stop light leaks. Then I make sure the LCD is closed, so that b&w magnification and waveform work in the EVF. Works like a charm in 98% of situations.

I'm not sure I like the clunkiness or the price of the Zacuto, and I don't like the idea of having to take it on and off to access open viewing of the LCD.

Just using the eyecup gives me 3rd point contact, and keeps the camera compact.
Old August 1st, 2013, 08:28 AM   #12
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Weaver View Post
I use a Zacuto eyecup on the EVF to add comfort and stop light leaks. Then I make sure the LCD is closed, so that b&w magnification and waveform work in the EVF. Works like a charm in 98% of situations.

I'm not sure I like the clunkiness or the price of the Zacuto, and I don't like the idea of having to take it on and off to access open viewing of the LCD.

Just using the eyecup gives me 3rd point contact, and keeps the camera compact.
I can agree with you on most counts but the screen is still pretty small to see details. I have had luck when I crank up the focus assists in the EVF to counter this. I do find the Zacuto a bit of a nuisance also. I guess by having it at lease I have choices? Sometimes it works out perfect, other times it just isn't the right tool for the job.
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems