lines on c100 screen at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
For all Canon Cinema EOS models: C700 / C300 Mk. II / C200 / C100 Mk II and EF / PL lenses.

Old July 17th, 2013, 11:25 PM   #1
New Boot

lines on c100 screen

Has any other C100 owners been seeing horizontal lines running through there LCD screen? It is especially apparent when looking at solid blocks of colour like a white wall. Here is an example of the lines which I filmed with another camera, you'll notice the lines do not move, I'm wondering if it is some interference from the text overlay on the screen? I'm wondering if I have a dud and should send back to canon. The lines look fainter in the video, it's more noticeable to the eye.

Brisbanes favorite wedding videography studio. GoldCoast & Sunshine Coast.

Last edited by Scott W. Thomas; July 18th, 2013 at 05:28 PM.
Scott W. Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2013, 12:08 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: lines on c100 screen

Flicker reduction setting?
Old July 18th, 2013, 08:54 AM   #3
New Boot

Flicker reduction is off. But even when on it still does it. The lines are very faint in the video but in reality are prominent enough to be annoying. Have you notices any lines? I'm debating whether or not to send it back to canon to look at.

Brisbanes favorite wedding videography studio. GoldCoast & Sunshine Coast.
Scott W. Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2013, 01:07 AM   #4
Major Player

Hi Scott, I wondered what happened with your screen in the end? I'm in a similar situation and just trying to work out whether it's "normal" or not to see a "pattern" over the c100's LCD especially when it's on the bright setting.
Old August 22nd, 2013, 04:43 AM   #5
Trustee

Scott, Alex - this is just conjecture, pontification upon virtual navel fluff... but...

could this be simply be a bit of rough 6 or 8 bit dithering on behalf of the LCD panel? If it's NOT in the image but it IS on the LCD and it doesn't move exactly in corellation, one could deduce that, especially when it shows on very plain - actually very SUBTLY shaded - areas, we're getting a quantisation effect.

Shrug - possibly.

I've recently given up on judging anything accurately on the LCD panel and reverted to a separate monitor when I can. Maybe that's another reason why the Ninja 2 is so popular. Sigh.
Old August 22nd, 2013, 05:13 AM   #6
Major Player

It's a good suggestion Matt, but I don't think it's dithering as it's visible in the menu too. I've managed to capture a couple of images that show it. It's far more obvious on the screen in person than in these images.
Attached Thumbnails
lines on c100 screen-c100-1.jpg   lines on c100 screen-c100-2.jpg  

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems