Do you rent out your C100 or C300? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
For all Canon Cinema EOS models: C700 / C300 Mk. II / C200 / C100 Mk II and EF / PL lenses.

Old October 26th, 2013, 02:44 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Do you rent out your C100 or C300?

I'm looking to rent out my C300 when it's not in use, do you guys do this? Got any tips?
Old October 26th, 2013, 03:12 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Do you rent out your C100 or C300?

Interesting idea. But I personally haven't got a clue on how I would go about it; to be legally covered etc incase of damage.
James Manford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2013, 03:35 AM   #3
Major Player

I don't rent out camera alone. I offer my C300 to productions along with me as a cinematographer in one package.
Old October 27th, 2013, 03:40 AM   #4
Inner Circle

One avenue is to check with any local gear houses in your area. See if they currently offer that camera. If not see if they are interested in working with you on brokering yours.

If you want to rent it out directly I suggest doing a good bit of research before going that route. Find out the insurance requirements to properly protect yourself. If you decide to rent it out directly get plugged in with the local freelance shooters. If the camera is in demand you'll start getting calls for it.
Old October 30th, 2013, 11:41 AM   #5
Trustee

When cameras cost $30k and up (with lenses and batteries) the cost of ownership would probably benefit from renting either via a gear house or to trusted individuals. Owners of Epics, F55s and (I guess) even Red Ones may get some sort of revenue - and their kit is designed for the stresses of the professional life.

But at C100 levels, I'm not sure if the cost of insurance and boxing/consumables/replacements would suit 'partial' hire - you'd probably have to jump in and commit to full time hiring.

I built my business model around charging for kit at (competitive) rental prices, then buying that kit for myself. I've loaned that kit to others on rare occasions, but don't want the stress and admin of dealing with petty losses, dinked lenses, dodgy dealers, repacking kit, and the inevitable double booking. Far happier to let renters do what they're good at.

But if I owned an Epic? Hmmm....
Old November 1st, 2013, 10:22 PM   #6
DVi Contributor

If your really gonna rent then go to rental websites and copy as much of their paperwork, as you can. Make your checkout list very detailed and always make a copy of a picture ID, signatures , etc. if you look like ou know what your doing, then the less likely you will be seen as an easy target for missing and damage. Serial numbers one rework, lots of guys rent out that camera, and if my viewfinder was damaged, I would rent out your camer and switch the finders, what are you gonna do? Sue me and you will need to prove it was your finder I had swaped out.

Keep the package simple, don't add stuff like cables and extra batts just to look better.
Bag, batts,charger port cap. Factory reset for each rental, do test recording of the news on tv, so you can prove it worked fine leaving your house the day I picked it up.

I'm probably still gonna steal it from you but that's the way rentals go sometimes.
Craig Chartier is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems