DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-cinema-eos-camera-systems/)
-   -   C100 jitter (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-cinema-eos-camera-systems/519802-c100-jitter.html)

Kathy Smith November 5th, 2013 12:06 PM

C100 jitter

I am getting this strange jitter when I am panning my camera. here is an example. What gives?
Pay attention to the column when the camera turns.

Jon Fairhurst November 5th, 2013 02:33 PM

Re: C100 jitter

Looks like normal 24fps to me. That pan is in the "dead zone" for film motion.

In general, one should pan at less than 1/7th of the screen per second at 24 fps. You can also whip-pan as it's so disorienting that the audience doesn't notice the judder. Finally, when tracking a person or object, you can move more quickly as the audience will look at the subject rather than the fast moving background.

In short, this is a technique issue at 24fps. You could use a slower shutter to smooth things out, but then things will get blurry when you pan. Shorten the shutter interval and the judder will get worse.

So, you could track somebody, move more slowly, or do a cut. Or shoot at 60 fps. You could even speed up the turn wildly during post to simulate a whip pan. Or you can just accept that the shot you want has judder. :) Depending on your project, you might come up with some additional creative solutions too. :)

Kathy Smith November 5th, 2013 04:17 PM

thanks. But if I am not tracking a person to me the jitter is very noticeable. Would walking slower make any difference?

Jon Fairhurst November 5th, 2013 04:48 PM

Yes. In particular, panning very slowly will help.

BTW, the 7 second, edge-to-edge rule is based on ASC (American Society of Cinematographers) guidelines. I did a rough count and your turn was about 3 seconds, edge-to-edge. So if you go a bit slower than 1/2 speed, the results should be good.

Of course, this assumes that your shutter speed is roughly 1/2 of the frame time (for instance 1/50 for 24 fps). Since your video is under artificial lights, you might need to run 1/60 in North America to avoid strobing. That shutter speed would be 25% faster than the ASC expects, so you'd need to go with more like 9 seconds, edge-to-edge in that case.

Hopefully, you'll get to test slower pans. I'm curious to know if you find that to reduce the judder to acceptable levels. Best of luck!

Kathy Smith November 6th, 2013 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst (Post 1819460)
Yes. In particular, panning very slowly will help.

BTW, the 7 second, edge-to-edge rule is based on ASC (American Society of Cinematographers) guidelines. I did a rough count and your turn was about 3 seconds, edge-to-edge. So if you go a bit slower than 1/2 speed, the results should be good.

Of course, this assumes that your shutter speed is roughly 1/2 of the frame time (for instance 1/50 for 24 fps). Since your video is under artificial lights, you might need to run 1/60 in North America to avoid strobing. That shutter speed would be 25% faster than the ASC expects, so you'd need to go with more like 9 seconds, edge-to-edge in that case.

Hopefully, you'll get to test slower pans. I'm curious to know if you find that to reduce the judder to acceptable levels. Best of luck!

Thanks Jon. I guess I will need to practice more being slower

Jef Gibbons November 6th, 2013 11:46 AM

Hi Kathy, definitely something wrong there! You can see it's smooth for a few frames then leaps forward and backward, that's what you are referring to right? Does the footage do that when you click on the untouched file in your finder? Or is it only after you run it through your NLE?

Jef Gibbons November 6th, 2013 11:51 AM

Disregard that last post, it was skipping like crazy when I watched it in the forum, but it looked fine on youtube. I think Jon is right!

Evan Bourcier November 6th, 2013 03:59 PM

I'll just throw in that I agree it's just a 24fps issue, but I believe it's also an issue no normal viewer will ever notice.

Drew Curran November 6th, 2013 04:28 PM

What shutter speed are you set at. 1/48th?

Kathy Smith November 6th, 2013 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drew Curran (Post 1819600)
What shutter speed are you set at. 1/48th?

yes, 1/48th