DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-cinema-eos-camera-systems/)
-   -   Canon announces Dual-Pixel AF upgrade for C100 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-cinema-eos-camera-systems/519810-canon-announces-dual-pixel-af-upgrade-c100.html)

Chris Hurd November 5th, 2013 08:00 PM

Canon announces Dual-Pixel AF upgrade for C100

Available in February for a $500 charge...

Quote:

"The Canon feature upgrade will provide the EOS C100 camera (first introduced in November 2012) with greatly improved autofocus (AF) functionality made possible through Dual Pixel CMOS AF technology. First employed in the EOS 70D digital SLR camera launched in August 2013, the innovative new AF technology helps facilitate greater shooting efficiency across a variety of shooting situations. For users that work with moving subjects, this optional Dual Pixel CMOS AF upgrade for the EOS C100 camera will allow for a smoother, more natural autofocus that can be particularly useful for video markets like documentary, sports, event and wildlife."
Full details in the press release here:

Canon offers Dual Pixel AF Upgrade for EOS C100 at DV Info Net

Jim Snow November 5th, 2013 10:53 PM

Re: Canon announces Dual-Pixel AF upgrade for C100

It looks like the same technology as used in the 70d except no touch screen focus control.

Andy Wilkinson November 6th, 2013 05:39 AM

Very good Canon. Now, if it's at all possible with the hardware, can we please have a 50p/60p slow motion option for the C100...and yes I would pay for it.

Kevin O'Connor November 6th, 2013 02:11 PM

When will future models of the C100 come with this Dual-Pixel AF upgrade already installed?

or Is this only going to be an option to C100 owners who want it? I'm close to purchasing one and I'm wondering if I should wait and get a model that already has the upgrade installed.

Thanks,

Andy Wilkinson November 6th, 2013 02:56 PM

A very good question Kevin. If they do, there might be a modest bump in the base price too, but I would think certainly not a full $500 increase (as I'm sure there is a lot more work retrofitting something than building it in at the factory). Therefore, unless you absolutely need the C100 NOW, I'd wait.

Also, I spotted this CVP review video of the 70D today. It nicely demonstrates the Dual-Pixel AF in action. I rarely use auto focus modes on cameras (apart from my little TM900) but I sure see how it would be very useful in some run-n-gun situations with my C100, like those cat-walk examples in this 70D video for instance.

Terry Nixon November 6th, 2013 07:57 PM

I'm hearing that this is an optional upgrade that users can elect to purchase.

The imager is replaced and the firmware are updated for the $500.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin O'Connor (Post 1819584)
When will future models of the C100 come with this Dual-Pixel AF upgrade already installed?

or Is this only going to be an option to C100 owners who want it? I'm close to purchasing one and I'm wondering if I should wait and get a model that already has the upgrade installed.

Thanks,

Jim Snow November 6th, 2013 08:00 PM

It would be nice if they also replaced the LCD with a touch screen as well.

Chris Hurd November 6th, 2013 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin O'Connor (Post 1819584)
or Is this only going to be an option to C100 owners who want it?

Correct -- my understanding is that there will be no change to future C100's coming down the line (in fact, I'm willing to bet that all of the C100's that will ever be made, have probably been made already, but not sold yet).

This is an extra thing you can have for another $500 and a trip to the service center, whether you own a C100 right now or you wait and buy one next year. If I'm not mistaken.

Chris Hurd November 7th, 2013 09:50 AM

I've mentioned many times in the past that Canon USA follows this forum closely. This morning one of my contacts high up the chain at CUSA sent me an email regarding this particular discussion. Here's the official low-down:

1. There is no need to change the image sensor in the EOS C100 digital video camera in order to perform this feature upgrade.

2. This is an optional upgrade, and as such it will not be installed at the factory for future shipments of the C100.

3. Within the Cinema EOS line, the Dual Pixel CMOS AF feature upgrade is being offered exclusively for the EOS C100 camera.

4. Currently, we have no information to share about Canon's plans for other existing or future products.

Hope this helps,

Darren Levine November 10th, 2013 09:29 AM

interesting. so can this source confirm if there is any hardware change at all? is it just a firmware mod? is it a tuning?

cheers

Kevin O'Connor November 10th, 2013 09:58 PM

Thanks for the info, no need to wait a new model then if this upgrade is only a optional thing.

Phil Douglas November 11th, 2013 12:21 AM

i would really like to see this as an option for the C300 as well - but i'm not holding my breath.

Michael Bishop November 14th, 2013 06:53 AM

Here is a video about the upgrade from Inter BEE 2013: News Shooter with Canon. At around 9:58 they talk about it.

Andy Wilkinson November 14th, 2013 06:59 AM

Good find. Thanks for posting! Seems to work well (smoothly and fast). Pity its centre box only. The AF Lock feature will be very useful!

Mark Dobson November 14th, 2013 07:47 AM

Very interesting interview and great to see the autofocus working so well with a standard L lens and as Andy points out the focus lock could be useful, although this is what you get with one shot focus.

And it seems that if enough C300 users make a lot of noise that they will also get this Dual-Pixel AF.

The AF looks really responsive and quite a bit faster than the AF we have all just gained with the new firmware. I've spent a lump of time experimenting with this using the 18-135 STM lens and it works very well, although it takes a fair while for it to actually resolve into focus with some objects and I've yet to try it with humans!